Recent Posts

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10
General Beekeeping / Re: Combining Three Week Nucs
« Last post by Jen on Today at 11:25:09 am »
Hi River :) Crap shoot is a good term for this situation. One of my friend beeks suggested:

removing all queens, wait 24 hours
stack all three nucs with newspaper between them
intro new queen in the middle box, or top box would prob be fine
check back in 4-5 days and hopefully find released queen alive
check back in 7 days and hopefully find eggs

I'm not against banging all the bees out onto the lawn and let them find new hives to live in. But all the bees in these three nucs would make a very nice sized single nuc albeit some of those bees will be old.

Any and Every Thing / Re: Serious as a heart attack
« Last post by Bakersdozen on Today at 06:11:33 am »
According to a MAAREC Beekeeper Survey, by Elizabeth Burdick and Dewey Caron,  the average age of beekeepers in the United States is 57.   :'(
General Beekeeping / Re: honey tank?
« Last post by rober on Today at 12:30:32 am »
DOH!! :-\
General Beekeeping / Re: Combining Three Week Nucs
« Last post by riverbee on Today at 12:04:56 am »
jen, sounds to me like you have 3 nucs with 3 dud queens? and 3 queens that need to go to the promised land?...... :D

combining all 3 of these nucs with a new queen?  crap shoot. (just my HO)

i guess what i would do is combine with my regular hives, and then when appropriate for your environment make up your nucs that you want to overwinter from the hives you have that are prospering to overwinter.....

not sure jen, just my thought. i have combined failing nucs, but not 3 at a time.
« Last post by Wandering Man on Yesterday at 11:58:09 pm »
Thank you, Riverbee.

3Reds will tell her. 3Reds is making the 2 hour drive down there again tomorrow to check on her.
General Beekeeping / Re: coating plastic foundation
« Last post by riverbee on Yesterday at 11:20:14 pm »
rober, heat the wax, whatever method.....crockpot, double boiler, micro,  yeah micro works long as you don't set it on fire........ :D
get some of those inexpensive paint rollers, dip it in the wax, roll on, good to go.
i use the double boiler method, in the shop/garage on a hot plate so i can cover frames quickly and not worry about slops in the kitchen or 'waxing' my kitchen floor, or...... starting things on fire........ :D

i have also done as apis suggested with a block of beeswax for stripped areas and cold rubbed on. for full frames of plastic foundation, (and i do use waxed peirco, i put extra on), i will run an extra layer of wax on.
« Last post by riverbee on Yesterday at 10:57:34 pm »
wm.........
thanks for the update. you tell 3 reds to tell her friend some crazy beek up in wisconsin is sending well wishes and prayers out for her, (and family).
dang, if she drove herself to the hospital while having a heart attack.........she's gonna make it!

thanks wm!
Welcome / Re: Reintroduction from central Fl.
« Last post by riverbee on Yesterday at 10:52:51 pm »
hey rast! (rick) i remember you! and welcome back!!!

i get letting bees go for health reasons........been there done it, just something about them can't give them up.

welcome back to keeping bees and welcome back to the forum, looking forward to reading your posts!

hey, and thanks!
General Beekeeping / Re: honey tank?
« Last post by riverbee on Yesterday at 10:47:10 pm »
rober, did you 'ferget' to post a link or a pic?.................... :D
Bee News / Re: 600 Hives Dead
« Last post by riverbee on Yesterday at 10:45:31 pm »
jack, i am surrounded by acres of field corn, like you, we have very rarely seen the bees on the field corn, and from everything i have read about the pollen produced from field corn, it is not beneficial to the bees. we do have other blooming plants and pollen sources typically through the season so sources of beneficial pollen are more available to them than the field corn.

thanks ef for your perspective.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10