Author Topic: anyone tried one of these?  (Read 2996 times)

Offline rober

• Gold Member
The following users thanked this post: CBT

Offline apisbees

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
Re: anyone tried one of these?
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2017, 12:07:43 am »
The big ones are close to the one I made for myself. 200 deg is a little warner than you want when poring wax into molds, but with heat only on the bottom, with the sides not insulated and with out a lid, any cooler temp setting would not keep the wax on top liquid.
The one I built is 2 pots one inside the other with the smaller inside pot 15" deep deep enough to dip 12" candles. I can control the water temp from warm to boiling temp so it is also used as a water bath for liquefying pails of honey. I also use it as a honey sump for warming the honey before pumping the honey for filtering.
It is a good start for processing wax, but the raw wax would need to be in a strainer bag as any slum gum would likely plug the 3/8 or 1/4 inch valve used to drain and pour off the wax. The valve is up the side so any honey or heavy debris will stay on the bottom and will let the clean wax flow out a little higher.
Holding wax at 200 deg for a long time can degrade the wax but for short times to pour molds full and then kill the heat till the next round would be OK.
Honey Judge, Beekeeping Display Coordinator, Armstrong Fair and Rodeo.

Offline Bakersdozen

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2017, 09:56:01 am »
The thermostats and heating elements, which are shown on the first pot, reminds me of electric skillets.  You can get electric skillets rather inexpensively.  I am not suggesting that they are the same, just making an observation.  riverbee just bought a wax melter and posted a thread about it.

Offline riverbee

• Gold Member
  • ***Forum Sponsor***
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2018, 02:56:57 pm »
rober,
did you purchase one of those units?

this is what i purchased, i am happy with it:
My New Wax Melter!!!
i keep wild things in a box..........™
if you obey the rules, you miss all the fun.....katherine hepburn
Forum Sponsor