Author Topic: Swarm Season  (Read 2462 times)

Offline Bakersdozen

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
Swarm Season
« on: May 01, 2018, 06:13:24 am »
Here is a picture of a small swarm that was at the elementary school that I work at.  I walked right by it and didn't see it.  The janitor pointed it out to me.  Unfortunately, I had emptied all my equipment out of my truck the night before!  I texted another beekeeper that I knew lived close by.  He came and wowed my coworkers, did some honey bee education, answered questions, and allowed for pictures.   I told him that I had just emptied my truck of all equipment.  He looked at me dumbfounded and said, "It's swarm season."  One of the gals I work with chuckled.
 "I thought it was storm season, but it's really swarm season.", she said.   He commented it was his 4th swarm retrieval this week.  It was a Monday morning!

Everyone commented that it was one of the most exciting Mondays they had ever had.

I came home to find one of my own hives (even after 2 splits) had swarmed.  They were about 25 ft. away on my swarm box. 

The queen and 1/2 the swarm was inside.  They rest could smell her but couldn't find her.  I lifted the lid a wee bit and they all marched in.

About 8p.m., last night I received a phone call from a second year beekeeper.  He has 2 hives and had his 3rd swarm. 

It's swarmageddon!

Offline Wandering Man

• Gold Member
    • Life Lessons from dogs, bees and others
Re: Swarm Season
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2018, 08:53:24 am »
The bees are saying your Spring has finally arreived!
Never argue with drunks or crazy people

Offline Jen

• Platinum Member
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2018, 12:27:11 pm »
Baker "I told him that I had just emptied my truck of all equipment. He looked at me dumbfounded and said, "It's swarm season."

That cracked my up this morning, one of those more humbling moments for beekeepers.

I have a hive that has swarmed three times now. It been suggested that I get another queen in there pronto. Should be getting a new queen tonight at our bee meeting.

This is interesting, the third swarm settled back down on the hives and top of the fence. I'm guessing that they were swarming with a virgin queen. That maybe they hit the sky and then the virgin took off to party, so the bees went back home.

There Is Peace In The Queendom

Offline Bakersdozen

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2018, 03:38:02 pm »

I have a hive that has swarmed three times now. It been suggested that I get another queen in there pronto. Should be getting a new queen tonight at our bee meeting.

This is interesting, the third swarm settled back down on the hives and top of the fence. I'm guessing that they were swarming with a virgin queen. That maybe they hit the sky and then the virgin took off to party, so the bees went back home.

I think some colonies are just swarmy. 
I swear that Queen cell wasn't there a week ago.  This colony has proven to be very interesting.

Offline apisbees

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2018, 05:42:32 pm »
I would not label the bees as smarmy by the photo. Why is there only 2 and 3 medium supers on those hives they should be in stacks of 5 0r 6 supers. try to keep bees in any hive that is too confined and it will swarm.
Honey Judge, Beekeeping Display Coordinator, Armstrong Fair and Rodeo.

Offline Jen

• Platinum Member
« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2018, 06:51:29 pm »
Hi Apis, I can't manage a hive that is 6 boxes high. And I only work meds, no deeps, for lifting purposes. Just now, we are starting to get capped honey, so my honey supers will be going on.
There Is Peace In The Queendom

Offline riverbee

• Gold Member
  • ***Forum Sponsor***
« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2018, 10:43:41 pm »
jen,
the photo you uploaded was incredible! love the photo!!! it is an awesome photo!!! it's just too cool with the bees lined up and gathered on the fencing and all over the hives.........a photograph......bees.....a work of art!
probably could submit this photo to one of the bee journals....
not something i would want to see with my bees but the photograph was pretty cool!

with that said, i would agree with apis, the bees are too confined.........  ;D

leave it to jen.......... :D

i keep wild things in a box..........™
if you obey the rules, you miss all the fun.....katherine hepburn
Forum Sponsor

Offline Les

• Gold Member
« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2018, 12:56:41 am »
Jen, that is a great photo!