Author Topic: coating plastic foundation  (Read 4700 times)

Offline LazyBkpr

• Gold Member
  • www.outyard.net
    • The Outyard
Re: coating plastic foundation
« Reply #20 on: May 30, 2018, 09:31:41 pm »
 Maybe it's my bees that have some of the same genes i started with(in 1965)

1965?   I thought you were an old coot, but your younger than i am.. No wonder you still swear your the KING of your castle, you can still outrun her!
 :yes:
Drinking RUM before noon makes you a PIRATE not an alcoholic!

*Sponsor*

Offline brooksbeefarm

• Gold Member
« Reply #21 on: May 30, 2018, 11:40:49 pm »
I am an old coot, i turned 80 on March 14, 2018. I might add that Albert Einstein  and i have the same birthday, different years of course. :yes:I don't like too brag about it though, But can you top that Perry or Squirt. :laugh: :laugh:Jack

Offline riverbee

• Gold Member
  • ***Forum Sponsor***
« Reply #22 on: May 31, 2018, 12:59:53 am »
i cannot top that jack...........you and albert einstein have a head start on me and you are just an older coot and just a little more set in your ways than i am......... :D  well maybe........ :D

also, einstein had more brains than i ever did....... :D
doesn't matter, life is still good...... :D

if i had known your 80th birthday was on march 14th, i would have sent you a real nice set of plastic ware........... :D :D :laugh:

btw happy belated birthday!!!
i keep wild things in a box..........™
if you obey the rules, you miss all the fun.....katherine hepburn
Forum Sponsor

Offline apisbees

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
« Reply #23 on: May 31, 2018, 02:03:19 am »
I tried plastic when it first came out and liked the way you just snap it in and your done :o But ended up loosing some hives and a honey crop???
They have addressed the beeswax coating and have improved their coating process from the first plastic foundation. But you need to be in a flow or feeding the bees to get them to draw out foundation whether wax or plastic with a wax coating.
Honey Judge, Beekeeping Display Coordinator, Armstrong Fair and Rodeo.

Offline Bakersdozen

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
« Reply #24 on: May 31, 2018, 08:30:01 am »

if i had known your 80th birthday was on march 14th, i would have sent you a real nice set of plastic ware........... :D :D :laugh:

btw happy belated birthday!!!

Plastic ware!  :laugh: :laugh:

Same here.  Happy belated Birthday!

(I share a birthday with Boris Karloff!) 

The following users thanked this post: riverbee

Offline brooksbeefarm

• Gold Member
« Reply #25 on: May 31, 2018, 10:17:42 am »
Just too prove my point! Over many years i have seen empty Milk jugs laying in fields, yards, roadsides , ect. But have never seen a swarm move into one!!! :no: Giving plastic too bees is like Mom and Dad trying too give me Caster Oil !!!  :yes: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: Jack

Offline LazyBkpr

• Gold Member
  • www.outyard.net
    • The Outyard
« Reply #26 on: June 07, 2018, 11:00:57 am »
LOL
  I pulled a swarm out of a plastic cooler!!!!  I have also pulled swarms out of plastic barrels on more than one occasion.
   My fav swarm, I pulled out of an acrylic terrarium that was sitting in the woods upside down with the drain plug taken out. You could ALMOST see through it, but dirt, dust and time had faded the acrylic. When I tried to move it, the acrylic broke... ouch...  Careful handling got it loaded in my truck. I smoked them, cleaned the outside and watched them for a few weeks before putting them into a hive.   Everyone says they wont stay iof there is a lot of light. Apparently, no one told the bees what the rules were.

SO, in retrospect.. I think we need to send Jack some plastic. His phobia is nearing dangerous and epic proportions.
   I grew up in an era when there were no cell phones or computers, and we got three channels on our black and white tv. Plastic is older than all of those things! In fact, if I remember my dates right, the first plastic was created in 1907.. so I think it is even older than 80!  111 years old in fact! SO!!!!!!  Something traumatic had to happen to Jack that involved plastic. I'll call a shrink and see if we can get a gift certificate together for Jack?     ;D
Drinking RUM before noon makes you a PIRATE not an alcoholic!

*Sponsor*

Offline brooksbeefarm

• Gold Member
« Reply #27 on: June 07, 2018, 11:05:30 pm »
Just what i thought Scott! You were born into a rich family :yes:I remember getting our first Radio and the Batteries were bigger than the Radio that gave it the power, if you listen real close through the static we could get the Grand Ole Opera on Saturday night, by coal oil  lamps, drank from a water bucket and a dipper, walked two to three hundred foot too the Outhouse, drew our water from the Well with a rope and water bucket until we got a Jack Pump. The first TV i ever saw was at our neighbors house, it got 3 stations , but the weather had to be just right or you only seen snow. We did like watching Red Buttons Melton Burrel, Red Skeleton, Bob Hope, George and Grace, Jimmy Duranty..ect. Believe it or NOT i kind of miss those days. Everything we had was either Metal, Glass, Paper,Burlap, and mom went to the feed store too pick out the pretty cloth the feed sacks came in  I don't remember the first thing i seen made of plastic ??? Don't mess with us old Coots, we've been around the Horn!!! 8) :yes: :laugh:

Offline riverbee

• Gold Member
  • ***Forum Sponsor***
« Reply #28 on: June 18, 2018, 08:55:47 pm »
lol........... ;D :D

what apis said:
"They have addressed the beeswax coating and have improved their coating process from the first plastic foundation. But you need to be in a flow or feeding the bees to get them to draw out foundation whether wax or plastic with a wax coating."

in the spring/early summer is the absolute best time to get bees to draw out foundation. you need to be in a good flow and/or feed them to get them to draw out the foundation, lot's of young bees and a good healthy hive. waxing plastic foundation even if it comes 'waxed' also helps.
i keep wild things in a box..........™
if you obey the rules, you miss all the fun.....katherine hepburn
Forum Sponsor