Author Topic: Oxalic Acid Shop Towel Extended Release Method  (Read 10641 times)

Offline Jen

• Platinum Member
Oxalic Acid Shop Towel Extended Release Method
« on: September 30, 2018, 03:31:25 pm »
For those of you who use oxalic acid for mite treatment, have any of you used the shop towel extended release method yet?
There Is Peace In The Queendom

Offline Bakersdozen

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
Re: Oxalic Acid Shop Towel Extended Release Method
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2018, 05:18:15 am »
I haven't used that method yet.  I think the jury is still out about whether it works or not.  In the September, 2018 issue of Bee Culture Magazine, Jennifer Berry wrote she couldn't recommend that method.  She and her team didn't see any significant reduction in mite levels using the 12g or18g extended release method.

Offline Jen

• Platinum Member
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2018, 10:51:25 pm »
OA isn't legal in Calif yet. I'm the only one in our bee club that uses OA. Some beekeepers are coming to me and asking about OA. I educate them and then offer to come and do one treatment on their hive so they can see how the vaporizer works, then we insert a sticky board so they can see the mite drop over a few days. I purchased a foldable hand truck and secure the 12 volt battery onto it with a cinch strap. I can wheel the battery pretty much anywhere. I get a Charge out of doing this... lol  :laugh:

I've found out tho that not all hive entrances are created equal, there is such a mish mash of bottom boards and brood boxes out there, that often my vaporizer won't fit thru the entrance. Dang!

Hense my question about the paper towels. It would be so cool to have an OA treated roll of paper that I could use in case the vap didn't fit.

Offline Bakersdozen

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2018, 05:28:46 am »
There is always the dribble method and that is highly recommended.  I have done that.  Works great on recently installed packages (apply within the first 7 days after installing the package).  OA works most effectively during periods when there is no brood present.  Syringes are available at Tractor Supply Store or similar stores.

Offline Jen

• Platinum Member
« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2018, 12:28:05 pm »
Haven't ever done the dribble method, but prob should look into that, even just for the experience.

The difference between the vap and the dribble tho… is that we would have to take down the hive for a dribble, as opposed to a quick vap thru the entrance.

I'll look up some youtubes on dribble and also see how Randy does it.

Thanks Baker  ;)

Offline Bakersdozen

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2018, 04:09:18 pm »
Brushy Mountain is the one that helped fund the research on OA.  They have excellent directions on their website.  They also sell the OA in a little kit.  I think it's the granulated OA, syringe, goggles, gloves and maybe a mixing up.  Good to look at so you know what to buy.
The application goes fast. 

Offline Newbee

Offline neillsayers

• Gold Member
« Reply #7 on: November 25, 2018, 09:19:59 pm »
I've been following Randy's work on this method for some time and it is really encouraging. If it is approved it would solve the problem of mites hiding in the capped brood at treatment time.
Neill Sayers
Herbhome Bees
USDA Zone 7a

Offline iddee

• Administrator
  • Gold Member
« Reply #8 on: November 30, 2018, 09:55:34 am »
Brushy Mountain is no longer in business, so be careful about using OA from a non-approved source.
“Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me... Anything can happen, child. Anything can be.”
― Shel Silverstein

Offline Riverrat

• Gold Member
« Reply #9 on: November 30, 2018, 03:14:44 pm »
I use oxilac acid when restoring cast aluminum.  I get mine off Amazon.  It comes scientific certified
"no man ever stood so tall as one that  stoops to help a child"

Forum Supporter

Offline Bakersdozen

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
« Reply #10 on: November 30, 2018, 05:48:27 pm »
Brushy Mountain is no longer in business, so be careful about using OA from a non-approved source.
I just saw something about that a couple of weeks ago.  They were bought out by Mann Lake, I believe.

Offline iddee

• Administrator
  • Gold Member
« Reply #11 on: November 30, 2018, 06:35:53 pm »
No, Kelley was bought out by Mann Lake. M-L only bought Brushy's remaining stock, not the company. It is illegal to use Amazon OA if the label doesn't mention for bees.
“Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me... Anything can happen, child. Anything can be.”
― Shel Silverstein

Offline CBT

• Gold Member
  • Age gets better with wine
« Reply #12 on: December 02, 2018, 05:31:51 pm »
If Brushy holds the rights to sell OA and they are out of business is all of it illegal now?

Offline iddee

• Administrator
  • Gold Member
« Reply #13 on: December 02, 2018, 05:51:03 pm »
I think Veto Pharma is coming out with it sometime this month. I'll update as I know more. It is still legal if you have the label and instructions from Brushy.  OA is legal, but using it off label is illegal. You have to have the bee label to use it legally.
― Shel Silverstein
The following users thanked this post: Mikey N.C.

Offline CBT

• Gold Member
« Reply #14 on: December 05, 2018, 09:11:57 pm »
Please understand. And I understand your position. Someone sells OA @97%pure with a label that they bought. A  beekeeper that buys 99% pure OA @ 500% less because it’s as common as table salt cannot use it because he has no label. This is an organic compound that is in my collard greens but because someone paid to get the bought approval for the powers that be that makes it illegal for anyone to use it.  :'( :'(
Is it illegal to bleach the inside of my hives? That was a poke and no harm intended.

Offline iddee

• Administrator
  • Gold Member
« Reply #15 on: December 05, 2018, 09:15:28 pm »
Maybe this spring you can buy the label on ebay.    :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
― Shel Silverstein

Offline CBT

• Gold Member
« Reply #16 on: December 06, 2018, 03:00:28 am »
Thank you for letting me get that off my chest. I got up to delete the post and you still can if you want.  :-[

Offline iddee

• Administrator
  • Gold Member
« Reply #17 on: December 06, 2018, 05:34:18 am »
Nothing wrong with your post. Money talks.....always has.
― Shel Silverstein

Offline Jacobs

• Which one do I keep?
« Reply #18 on: December 06, 2018, 08:03:19 am »
https://www3.epa.gov/pesticides/chem_search/ppls/091266-00001-20151013.pdf

Not fighting--just showing you the label that makes OA legal.  The added cost is what is behind establishing that it is effective, how to reasonably safely apply it, and minimize secondary harm to people, plants, and other animals when applying it.  Even at the higher cost when Brushy was around, the OA only cost pennies per hive.  The real expense is the vaporizer and the battery.  I might feel different if like some human pharmaceutical companies, Brushy had massively inflated the cost of the treatment they "controlled."

Offline Mikey N.C.

• Gold Member
« Reply #19 on: December 06, 2018, 05:55:03 pm »
They had the
 only rights ?
Jacobs do you OAV your hives ?  Coming out of orange co. Today into chatham co. seen about 30 hives stopped today , he told me that he doesn't treat and hasn't.  He runs about 80 hives , makes his on Q's.
Told me he has winter losses every year but because of his mismanaging.