Author Topic: Ground hogs  (Read 9484 times)

Offline brooksbeefarm

• Gold Member
Ground hogs
« on: June 16, 2014, 09:30:54 pm »
I have a ground hog working my garden :o, not seen one around here in several years. I set a live trap baited with sliced apple and banana peel, but no luck so far. I seen him once and by the time i got my gun he was gone. >:( Anyone know a better bait for them? for some reason he has only bit some cantaloupe vines and sweet potato vines off even with the ground, but didn't eat them?? But he will eat some lead if i get a chance. ;D Jack

Offline Slowmodem

• Gold Member
    • http://gregsbees.blogspot.com/
Re: Ground hogs
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2014, 10:43:47 pm »
I have a ground hog working my garden :o, not seen one around here in several years. I set a live trap baited with sliced apple and banana peel, but no luck so far. I seen him once and by the time i got my gun he was gone. >:( Anyone know a better bait for them? for some reason he has only bit some cantaloupe vines and sweet potato vines off even with the ground, but didn't eat them?? But he will eat some lead if i get a chance. ;D Jack

I caught mine with a quarter of a head of cabbage.
Greg Whitehead
Ten Mile, TN
Beekeeping at 26.4 kbs

Offline LazyBkpr

• Gold Member
  • www.outyard.net
    • The Outyard
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2014, 10:58:24 pm »
Yep, dad used lettus and cabbage to catch his nemesis this year.
Drinking RUM before noon makes you a PIRATE not an alcoholic!

*Sponsor*

Offline G3farms

• Bee Wrangler
  • Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2014, 10:02:56 am »
cabbage anchored to the trip pan with a little peanut butter.

Bees are bees and do as they please!

.... --- -   -... . . ...   .-- .. .-.. .-..   .... .- ...- .   -.-- --- ..-   ... - . .--. .--. .. -. --.   .- -. -..   ..-. . - -.-. .... .. -. --.   .-.. .. -.- .   -.-- --- ..- .-.   .... . .- -..   .. ...   --- -.   ..-. .. .-. .   .- -. -..   -.-- --- ..- .-.   .- ... ...   .. ...   -.-. .- - -.-. .... .. -. --.

Offline CpnObvious

• My Photobucket Bee Album
« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2014, 03:51:43 pm »
Although I've never caught one to kill it (MURDERER!!!!  :laugh:), I typically have great luck with lettuce.  In Massachusetts it's illegal relocate wildlife.  For some reason it's more humane to drown them??? I've never killed one either.  I guess I'm one BA law-breaker!

Offline iddee

• Administrator
  • Gold Member
« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2014, 03:56:14 pm »
And the folks that live near where you release them wish you were in jail.
“Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me... Anything can happen, child. Anything can be.”
― Shel Silverstein

Offline CpnObvious

« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2014, 04:40:09 pm »
I will never say whether or not that's what's been done... but IF I were to ever do such a thing, the critters would have been released in one of the many, large state forrests in the area, no where near anyone's personal property. Moving a nuisance critter to a neighbor's property is just wrong. My morals may reside on a sliding scale, I do follow the right side of the right/wrong argument.

Offline Perry

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
    • Brandt's Bees
« Reply #7 on: June 17, 2014, 09:12:45 pm »

I would bait them with......cantaloupe vines and sweet potato vines. From what I've read they're a hit with groundhogs. :) ;D :D
"It is not the man who has too little, but the man who craves more, that is poor."      
Forum Supporter

Offline G3farms

• Bee Wrangler
  • Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
« Reply #8 on: June 17, 2014, 09:28:48 pm »
HHHMMMM.........never thought about vines, might have to give that a try when they will not hit on anything else.

Good idea there Perry!

Bees are bees and do as they please!

.... --- -   -... . . ...   .-- .. .-.. .-..   .... .- ...- .   -.-- --- ..-   ... - . .--. .--. .. -. --.   .- -. -..   ..-. . - -.-. .... .. -. --.   .-.. .. -.- .   -.-- --- ..- .-.   .... . .- -..   .. ...   --- -.   ..-. .. .-. .   .- -. -..   -.-- --- ..- .-.   .- ... ...   .. ...   -.-. .- - -.-. .... .. -. --.

Offline brooksbeefarm

• Gold Member
« Reply #9 on: June 17, 2014, 10:54:38 pm »
They don't eat the vines they just bite them off?/ If i catch the ground hog i have already got it spoken for, a neighbor told me he would rather have it than chicken, said they are cleaner about what they eat than cickens, i agree :). The 15 to 20 coons i will catch this year are going into a customer of ours freezer, said his family loves coon meat. Like grandma use to say, waste not, want not. So i'm in. :D Jack

Offline LazyBkpr

• Gold Member
  • www.outyard.net
    • The Outyard
« Reply #10 on: June 18, 2014, 09:18:01 am »
Yep, I know a few folks that really like groundhog. Coon... not so much, but a fellow a couple towns over uses them to make really excellent dog food!!

*Sponsor*

Offline CpnObvious

« Reply #11 on: June 18, 2014, 09:57:19 am »
Lazy...

How, may I ask, do you know that the dog food is "really excellent"? :laugh:

Offline Perry

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
    • Brandt's Bees
« Reply #12 on: June 18, 2014, 09:29:03 pm »
Lazy...

How, may I ask, do you know that the dog food is "really excellent"? :laugh:

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
"It is not the man who has too little, but the man who craves more, that is poor."      
Forum Supporter

Offline LazyBkpr

• Gold Member
  • www.outyard.net
    • The Outyard
« Reply #13 on: June 18, 2014, 09:44:22 pm »
Healthy dogs with shiny coats that can run all night long. No Diarrhea when switching to this food, and excellent weight gain even when being run hard night after night...    I won't go into details about giving my wife a bowl of it when she was in one of "those" moods.....  you know what they call a female dog?  Yeah, one of those moods.....    It was painful for the better part of a week....

*Sponsor*

Offline tmrschessie

« Reply #14 on: June 30, 2014, 01:22:05 pm »
A 160 body grip trap does the job. Tom

Offline lazy shooter

• Gold Member
« Reply #15 on: December 03, 2014, 08:40:35 am »
I have never seen a ground hog in the wild.  I do not like coon for table fare, as the ones I have tasted were greasy, greasy and more greasy.

I live trap coons on my ranch.  I leave the live trap by my gate and one of my neighbors comes by and picks up the trap.  He then takes it home and replaces it the next day, minus the coon.  His family also loves the meat.  Like Jack said, it works for him and it work for me.

Offline iddee

• Administrator
  • Gold Member
« Reply #16 on: December 03, 2014, 08:49:14 am »
Lazy, pre-cook the meat til tender, then bake in stuffing with Irish and sweet potatoes, onions, carrots, and celery. Add a little sage. Try it once and you will never give another one away.
“Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me... Anything can happen, child. Anything can be.”
― Shel Silverstein

Offline Perry

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
    • Brandt's Bees
« Reply #17 on: December 03, 2014, 08:56:57 am »
Ugh!
 :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
Forum Supporter

Offline iddee

• Administrator
  • Gold Member
« Reply #18 on: December 03, 2014, 09:13:34 am »
Don't knock it if you ain't tried it.   :o   :P
― Shel Silverstein

Offline LazyBkpr

• Gold Member
  • www.outyard.net
    • The Outyard
« Reply #19 on: December 03, 2014, 09:23:05 am »
I have had coon cooked multiple different ways, and still do not prefer it. I absolutely will never die of starvation if I have coon around, but it is not table fare by choice.   TO me it is a lot like Bear meat, edible, and way better than nothing, but if theres better available I will leave the coon meat for mixing into dog food.  Wood chuck, on the other hand comes much closer to being preferred table fare. Ranks right up there right below rabbit!

*Sponsor*