Author Topic: Some times plans change.  (Read 5794 times)

Offline Alleyyooper

Some times plans change.
« on: October 18, 2014, 07:40:12 am »
Kare and I spent a lot of week ends from labor to Nov 1990 in UPPER looking for a place we wanted to buy and build a home when we retired.
We finally found a perfect spot for my collection of Massey Harris tractors, my hunting in the fall and summer fishing.
37 acres that was surrounded mostly with federal land a bit of state land and one tiny bit of private property in one corner plus 1/2 mile of frontage on Big Bay De Noc.

About 5 years before I retired My dad became ill, I got it set up with my boss to be able to take a day off with short notice after a doctor had gave him some sample drugs and mom didn't understand the instructions and over dosed him. I started going to all his and moms doctors appointments after than.
I took my last vacation from work in February 2001, Kare's dad was coming to the house to feed my dogs and Kare's cat. When we returned home we stopped at Kare's folks and her dad was sick. That lead to a long 8 year battle Kare spent 18 days and nights in the hospital with him before he was released to come home. Needless to say we didn't move to the UP as we decided to stay close to our family's who may need us.

I do admit I love our place here in Southern Michigan a lot. It is 10 acres with a horse farm to the south and crop land to the north, about 120 acres of woods behind us to the east and crop land across the road to the west.
Our 10 acres is 7 wooded acres with a creek that runs thru the place. It is a travel route for many wild critter, even otters will come up the creek and play.
It is a magnet for deer that will come right up to the front door to munch on plants too.

Our front yard window faces the creek. I mow the grass long and the deer seem to like it that way. I can just about pet some of the older does that hang out in the yard.

They like the back yard also and even leave my veggie garden alone.

:)  Al

your not fully dressed with out a smile.

Offline kebee

• WorldWide Beekeeper Emeritus
  • Gold Member
  • May GOD be with us
Re: Some times plans change.
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2014, 08:02:54 am »
 Love the pictures of the deer you have in your yard there, to much traffic around here for them to come around since they built the new high school just a half mile up the road.

Ken

Offline Alleyyooper

« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2014, 08:15:53 am »
the deer don't even mind Kare's cat.

I did mention the turkeys didn't I?

There are some draw backs. Kare and I planted this Chestnut tree in the fall of 2013 in our side yard when the nursery's put every thing on a get it sold price. Before I could get a fence around it the next day a buck found it during the night.

I think this was the guy resposceable.

We still get snow but not in the amounts of the UP. And the snowmobile trails are a couple hours north of us instead of just out the to road.

Deer, turkey squirrel hunting is very good here. Things like pheasants and grouse and pats haven't seen any in about 20 years after several hard ice storms two winters in a row. I still have to travel to hunt coyotes as they have learned to steer well clear of my little track and other areas around here where I am allowed to put the smack on them.
took a couple of years to stop the trespassing but that is well under control and people have learned there is a crazy old man that lives here and will prosecute and issues no warnings.

Did I mention that the Great Blue Herons come to feed in the creek then come up buy the house to preen.

I also like mister mom taking care of his kids.

No it isn't the UP but is about as close to heaven as a fellow can get in life.

Offline Bakersdozen

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2014, 11:41:46 am »
Twins!

Offline Jen

• Platinum Member
« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2014, 12:43:29 pm »
Twins are so much fun, delightful to watch them play  :)
There Is Peace In The Queendom

Offline Alleyyooper

« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2014, 01:56:41 pm »
We have a set of triplets now also.

So this was moved. Guess it wasn't read first!!!!! It is about my home stead instead of what was planned.

Offline iddee

• Administrator
  • Gold Member
« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2014, 04:50:28 pm »
OOPS. Sometimes plans change. It has been moved back. Sorry.  :-[
“Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me... Anything can happen, child. Anything can be.”
― Shel Silverstein

Offline Perry

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
    • Brandt's Bees
« Reply #7 on: October 19, 2014, 05:56:32 pm »
I don't know why you'd want to move, that place looks like Heaven to me! 8)
"It is not the man who has too little, but the man who craves more, that is poor."      
Forum Supporter

Offline Alleyyooper

« Reply #8 on: October 20, 2014, 05:49:02 am »
Well a move to the Upper would give me access to over 6000 acres to hunt out the back door. Give me access to all the fishing on Big Bay De Noc and lake Michigan with in spitting distance. I would still have deer turkeys and lots of squirrels out the windows of the house just not so many. Snow mobile trails in the thousands of miles just by hitting the road side and a short ride of 2 miles to groomed marked trail system. no trailer required. Over 7 hours closer to my grand kids.

:)   Al

Offline Marbees

« Reply #9 on: October 22, 2014, 01:58:40 pm »
Not a bad place to wait 'till you move to the Upper. ;D
Beautiful homestead.
Bee Remarkable

Gypsi

« Reply #10 on: October 22, 2014, 06:43:44 pm »
I'd forgotten how beautiful and green Michigan is.  I left in about 1976, visited a time or 2 since, really sick of Texas but if I move I think either Arkansas or Oregon. A bit WARMER either place

Offline Jen

• Platinum Member
« Reply #11 on: October 22, 2014, 07:10:25 pm »
Gypsi, if it's Oregon make it's southern or eastern Oregon, northern Oregon is still a damp chilly state.

Gypsi

« Reply #12 on: October 22, 2014, 07:11:48 pm »
Compared to southwestern Michigan in winter, western Oregon near Portland is quite warm

Offline Jen

• Platinum Member
« Reply #13 on: October 22, 2014, 07:13:56 pm »
I have those pics of a lighthouse on lake Michigan (I think) where it's completely covered in strong wind blown ice. Yea... not for me

Gypsi

« Reply #14 on: October 22, 2014, 07:57:05 pm »
They call it "Lake Effect Snow" and in recent years my uncle wasn't seeing much of it. But I left Michigan as much to break out of a limited ideological mode about women's roles in life as to avoid the cold weather.  I am also allergic to almost every plant that grows there.