Author Topic: Tractor question  (Read 7385 times)

Offline Perry

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
    • Brandt's Bees
Tractor question
« on: December 01, 2014, 06:24:13 pm »
Maybe this is just a guy thing, but I really have this crazy idea it would be neat to have one. I don't really even know what I would use it for except out on the 2 acres we have, maybe bush hogging or something, maybe move some snow from here to there.
I saw this one today and for $750 it doesn't seem like a lot of money.
http://www.kijiji.ca/v-farming-equipment/bedford/ford-tractor/1036621564?enableSearchNavigationFlag=true
I know that it's old and probably doesn't have half the stuff on it to make it really useful, but then do those of you that have one (or more) really get enough use out of them that you really need 'em? Is there such a thing as having one that is old enough that it might actually appreciate in value over time, even if it is more of a toy? (it would make it easier for me to sell this to my wife, although I'm pretty sure she would kill me for even suggesting it).
"It is not the man who has too little, but the man who craves more, that is poor."      
Forum Supporter

Offline LazyBkpr

• Gold Member
  • www.outyard.net
    • The Outyard
Re: Tractor question
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2014, 07:06:23 pm »
Mine is a 1942 Ferguson and its a TE, which means it was made in England by Henry Ferguson, and shipped over.. the TO was made over here by Henry Ford..
  It has a LIVE PTO, which makes mowing with it slightly more difficult..  If I kill it while mowing I have to get off, unhook the PTO start it, let the clutch out, raise the bush hog, shut it off, get off, hook up the PTO, get back on and start it...    Let the clutch out slowly and go back to mowing..
   When you need to STOP or turn sharply, you have to take into consideration the rotating MASS hooked to the PTO shaft..   It WILL NOT stop until the inertia is gone from the blades.. so if you drive up to a fence with the mower going and expect to step on the clutch and brakes to stop, your going through the fence..
   Having said all that, once you get used to the quirks, its a HANDY little tractor to have..  I have a 2 bottom plow, a blade, and a 5 ft bush hog I use on the back of mine..
   I see Fergies in rough shape, but usable and running selling for 1500 to 2000 dollars around here.  That one looks like it has fair to good tires..  the other benefit is that you can still get most parts for it, and it is easy to work on.

My Fergie sat out in my step grandfathers field for WELL over 30 years we are aware of..  My father was going to junk it..   I drug it in to the shop and filled the cylinders with a concoction or break free, WD-40, Marvel mystery oil, and diesel fuel..  I came in the following afternoon and had it rolling over...  Put the plugs back in it and started it up...
   The Cam gear was shot, so it would skip time once in a while. I installed a new cam..  The lift cylinder would not stay raised up, so I installed a new sleeve, and put rings on the lift piston..  I changed the oil, and the gear lube, I put new tires on the back... I used it for two years.. then had to install a new radiator..  I used it to mow along my fences and the horse pasture this year..   GREAT little tractor.  I can get mine to idle down so low that the exhaust flapper closes between each piston firing.   I think mine looks a little worse than that one, but it is handy to have.
Drinking RUM before noon makes you a PIRATE not an alcoholic!

*Sponsor*

Offline iddee

• Administrator
  • Gold Member
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2014, 08:53:56 pm »
Lazy, 2 corrections here................

First, it's HARRY Ferguson, not Henry.

Second, it does NOT have a live PTO. A live PTO will not allow the mower to push the tractor, nor do you need it engaged to lift the implement.

The 8 and 9 N fords don't have live PTO either. Perry will need to get an over riding clutch to go on it.  Also, most mowers have a 1 3/8 in. PTO connection, where the 9N has a 1 1/8 in. PTO shaft, so the over ride needs to adapt the 1 1/8 to the 1 3/8 hookup.

Now, Perry, the 9 N is a very popular tractor today, and is the same tractor as the 2 N. The 9 was made in 39, 40, 41. The 2 N was made from 42 thru 47. The 8 N had a lot of changes, and came out in Jan 48, but was made from July, 47, so some 8 n's are called 47's.

All info, books, parts, and anything else you need for the 9 N can be found here. Also many experts who will guide you along the way.     http://www.ntractorclub.com/forums/nboard/index.html

Buy it and if you don't like it, I'll give you a thousand for it, as long as you deliver it. I would buy one tomorrow for a thousand.
“Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me... Anything can happen, child. Anything can be.”
― Shel Silverstein

Offline LazyBkpr

• Gold Member
  • www.outyard.net
    • The Outyard
« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2014, 12:00:03 am »
That does not look like a ford, it looks like a Ferguson, meaning if its a 1941 its not a 8n or 9n but a TE/TO 20 or 30??
   Thanks for correcting the name  Knew that but its not what I typed....   :-[  Harry had a field day with Henry II suing him for 310 mil, and then settled for 10 mil...

I have always been under the assumption that a live PTO could operate in gear OR in neutral, where a direct would only operate while the tractor was in gear and moving?   Correct my ignorance if thats not right.  We used to sell a ratchet gizmo that allowed the blads to spin without pushing the tractor, but I have not found a cheap one as of yet..    The adaptor for the PTO shaft can be bought through yesterdays tractor.

*Sponsor*

Offline iddee

• Administrator
  • Gold Member
« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2014, 05:51:07 am »
You are backward again. Harry sued Henry II over putting the "Ferguson system" emblem on the 8N. He won 4 million.

Look at the rear wheel lug pattern. The 9N and 2N had the large bolt pattern, with 6 lugs. "about 14 inches"

The Ferguson and the 8N had the smaller 6 or 8 inch pattern with 8 lugs.

The over ride clutches are available new from 30 to 65 dollars, USD.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Ford-Tractor-8N-PTO-Overide-Clutch-1-3-8-male-1-1-8-Female-6-Splines-/151496137127

“Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me... Anything can happen, child. Anything can be.”
― Shel Silverstein

Offline Perry

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
    • Brandt's Bees
« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2014, 06:57:28 am »
I was doing some background reading but never did see how the lawsuit all settled out.
I sent the guy an email asking of he had any more pictures and that I was interested (shhhhhh). I see it is already getting tons of interest so it will be one of those "meant to be" type deals if it is still available (shhhh).
I may have to go "for a drive" this afternoon and may put a little something down if it's a good deal. Then all I have to do is figure out how to get it "home", as in where can I stash it till next year sometime.
It's really not something I have to have or really need, but at the price it seems good, not too often they show up that cheap and are still in one piece.
"It is not the man who has too little, but the man who craves more, that is poor."      
Forum Supporter

Offline iddee

• Administrator
  • Gold Member
« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2014, 07:08:46 am »
Just remember, it is 75 years old and will take equal time for using and repairing. It will not run year after year without breaking down on a regular basis. They are bought to tinker with and get some work done for your time and expense. They are not for working daily and parking when finished.
― Shel Silverstein

Offline Riverrat

• Gold Member
« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2014, 07:46:39 am »
$750 Is a good price I would buy that if it was close and flip it.   One thing the older Ford/Fergusons have that other tractors didn't  was Harry Ferguson was the one who invented the 3 point hitch still used today and most all  had them.
"no man ever stood so tall as one that  stoops to help a child"

Forum Supporter

Offline LazyBkpr

• Gold Member
  • www.outyard.net
    • The Outyard
« Reply #8 on: December 02, 2014, 09:00:58 am »
  I thought the separation started after 1947?  Before that they were all considered fergies in a TE or TO designation...  Guess I need to go back to the drawing board.

I need new grease seals in both axles, already put a new PTO seal in it...   Since I replaced the radiator nothing else has gone south..  Starts and runs like a dream and doesnt skip a beat coming up across the pasture with the bush hog whirring..   I have judged a corner "off" by an inch or so and wiped out a steel fence post..   Wife asked if she could mow with it, and I told her to let me get the outside edges done for her first... then I had to explain why.. and she decided maybe it was better if she didnt...  I agreed....

Your right Iddee, the rear wheel is different!
  I have not seen one of those over ride clutches go for under 100 dollars. I watched one sell at a local auction two years ago for 130, and the second one sell in Kahoka Missouri at an impliment sale for 110..   Bid both up to 80..  Hadnt occured to me to look online.  One of those will make a real mowing machine out of that little tractor.

If the engine ever dies, I figured this would be the way to go;

*Sponsor*

Offline Perry

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
    • Brandt's Bees
« Reply #9 on: December 02, 2014, 09:13:51 am »
Good thing I had the volume down when I clicked on it!  :laugh:
Forum Supporter

Offline iddee

• Administrator
  • Gold Member
« Reply #10 on: December 02, 2014, 09:46:54 am »
Henry Ford and Harry Ferguson made to 9 and 2 n from 39 till June, 47. It had the ford emblem with the "Ferguson system" emblem on the hood. Henry died in 45. Henry II told Harry he had no contract and the Ferguson emblem would not be on the new 8n. Harry sued. It was settled "about" 52, and Henry II could not make the 8n any longer. He came out with the Jubilee in 53.

If there was ever a Ferguson made in the USA, it was after 1947. The TE is Tractor Europe, and the TO is "Tractor overseas", IE: Canada. I don't think Ferguson ever made one in the USA before he sold to Massey in 1960.
― Shel Silverstein

Offline LazyBkpr

• Gold Member
  • www.outyard.net
    • The Outyard
« Reply #11 on: December 02, 2014, 05:51:10 pm »
Henry Ford and Harry Ferguson made to 9 and 2 n from 39 till June, 47. It had the ford emblem with the "Ferguson system" emblem on the hood. Henry died in 45. Henry II told Harry he had no contract and the Ferguson emblem would not be on the new 8n. Harry sued. It was settled "about" 52, and Henry II could not make the 8n any longer. He came out with the Jubilee in 53.

If there was ever a Ferguson made in the USA, it was after 1947. The TE is Tractor Europe, and the TO is "Tractor overseas", IE: Canada. I don't think Ferguson ever made one in the USA before he sold to Massey in 1960.

OK.. that straightens out a few kinks.. Thanks Iddee!

*Sponsor*

Offline Riverrat

• Gold Member
« Reply #12 on: December 02, 2014, 09:40:07 pm »
Perry you buy that tractor and in a year you will wonder how you ever lived without it.   ;)
"no man ever stood so tall as one that  stoops to help a child"

Forum Supporter

Offline riverbee

• Gold Member
  • ***Forum Sponsor***
« Reply #13 on: December 02, 2014, 10:11:48 pm »
well......... unless perry's without the wife or 'pays' for it............. :D :D :D
i am guessing perry's wife will still be around BUT he WILL be paying for buying it?!.......... :D :D :D
i keep wild things in a box..........™
if you obey the rules, you miss all the fun.....katherine hepburn
Forum Sponsor

Offline brooksbeefarm

• Gold Member
« Reply #14 on: December 02, 2014, 11:09:32 pm »
When i find a good deal on a tractor and bring it home, i tell my wife it's my brothers tractor and he wants to leave it here for now ;D. She was up at the barn this summer and looked inside, she said when is your brother going to come and get his tractor's, i see he has eight of them now. :o I had three more hid in another shed, plus my 3020 JD. 8) Jack

Offline riverbee

• Gold Member
  • ***Forum Sponsor***
« Reply #15 on: December 02, 2014, 11:15:27 pm »
..................... :D :D :D :laugh:
i keep wild things in a box..........™
if you obey the rules, you miss all the fun.....katherine hepburn
Forum Sponsor

Offline iddee

• Administrator
  • Gold Member
« Reply #16 on: December 03, 2014, 05:53:26 am »
His wife will get over it, the knots on his head will heal, and he will be a happy man with a tinker toy tractor to work on 2 days and ride one day.    ;D     :laugh: :laugh:
― Shel Silverstein

Offline Alleyyooper

« Reply #17 on: December 03, 2014, 06:30:12 am »
That 9N would sell here for cloest to 2000.

Manufacturer: Ford

Factory: Dearborn, Michigan, USA

Total built: 99,002

Original price (USD): $585 (1939)

Bore/Stroke: 3.188x3.75 inches [81 x 95 mm]

Air cleaner: oil bath

Compression: 6.0 : 1

Rated RPM: 2000

Torque: 84 lb-ft [113.9 Nm]

Torque RPM: 1500

Firing order: 1-2-4-3

Starter volts: 6

Oil capacity: 6 qts [5.7 L]

Oil change: 200 h 

Coolant capacity: 12 qts [11.4 L]

Sparkplug gap: 0.025 inches [0.635 mm]

Point gap: 0.015 inches [0.381 mm]

Intake valve clearance: 0.015 inches [0.381 mm] (cold)

Exhaust valve clearance: 0.015 inches [0.381 mm] (cold)

90% of the parts can still be bought over the counter at a Ford New Holland dealer.

I have 22 Massey Harris tractors, One Allis Chambers D17 and a Ford 5000. It was Kare's Idea to collect them.

:)Al
your not fully dressed with out a smile.

Offline Perry

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
    • Brandt's Bees
« Reply #18 on: December 03, 2014, 06:50:22 am »
Sadly, I have not received any response to my emails, so I can only assume someone went straight down there and locked it up. I wish they would at least remove the ad or let folks know when that happens. I just sold 200lbs. of honey to a winery as well so I actually even had the $$$. ;D
I don't have much doubt that at some point in time when everything falls into place I will have one.
Forum Supporter

Offline lazy shooter

• Gold Member
« Reply #19 on: December 03, 2014, 08:03:33 am »
I don't collect tractors and own a nice John Deere 85 HP, four wheel drive tractor, but I would buy all the old ford tractors I could get my hands on for 750 bucks.  Those older fords and fergusons sell here for three grand and up. 

Offline brooksbeefarm

• Gold Member
« Reply #20 on: December 03, 2014, 01:13:24 pm »
Yep, they sell here $3000 and up if they are in good shape, but if a person wants a good tractor for less money they buy an :P;D Jack

Offline brooksbeefarm

• Gold Member
« Reply #21 on: December 03, 2014, 01:14:28 pm »
IH. :laugh: