Author Topic: Queen outside the hive  (Read 1552 times)

Offline Newbee

Queen outside the hive
« on: October 17, 2017, 11:39:34 am »
My hive was robbed out about a week ago, total loss. Yesterday I was able to finally get out there and check on things, and found the queen!
I plan on writing up another post on it when I have some time, but for right now, I was wondering if it's possible for the queen to survive outside of a hive?
Note I didn't say practical, nor easy, nor common.... But possible.
All of the frames had wax moths, can't really save any (ok, maybe 1 or 2 on the super that were only partly covered in wax, I suppose I could try to make a Nuc...) What I was actually thinking, was putting her back in the box my package came in, w/ whatever bee's I could find out there, feeding them honey (from the hive) and pollen (from another beek), and keeping them indoors in that over the winter? I only saw a few bee's from the hive left (literally, 4-8, maybe), a couple drones, and the queen. None of the bee's were tending to her, I felt so bad. I drizzled some honey around the equipment which was eaten when stumbled upon... but is there any hope at all, despite how long of a shot? I realize she won't survive in a conventional hive-structure at this point, but I was wondering (hoping, dreaming?) that maybe in an enclosed space, carefully fed, temperature controlled, there might be a long-shot of nursing her back to health?
Thanks for the info.

- Kevin

Offline Jen

• Platinum Member
Re: Queen outside the hive
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2017, 12:49:07 pm »
Gosh Kevin, I so commend you efforts to save the queen. I too am a queen saver.

What queen needs is nurse bees to feed and tend to her. I imagine she is lonely and hungry.

I've been learning some queen stuff the last couple years. It's a tricky subject to say the least.

If it were me, I would quickly set up a nuc for her with a couple frames of brood and larvae that are loaded with nurse bees. I would reintroduce her in this fashion. This will help the bees except a new queen. Keep her in this screened cage for about 4 days. This would also allow her to lay eggs if she wants too, which would also help the nurse bees with this new queens pheromone.

This is a good subject and I hope many more will chime in.

https://worldwidebeekeeping.com/forum/index.php?topic=7334.0

Lburou suggested this kind of queen introduction for me when I was also attempting to save a lone queen that was given to me.

There Is Peace In The Queendom

Offline Perry

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
    • Brandt's Bees
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2017, 04:17:59 pm »
Gonna be tough without some outside help. I have seen an indoor  2 frame observation hive survive here yearly so if you can score at least a couple frames of bees and comb.........
On her own with a few bees isn't going to do it.
"It is not the man who has too little, but the man who craves more, that is poor."      
Forum Supporter

Offline eltalia

« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2017, 09:50:32 pm »
Kevin.
The short answer is "of course a queen can exist outside of a box",  millions do.
The long answer however goes to climate and version of Apis.
So your bees in your location..?.. no.
Given the backstory to your question now it has to said nobody knows
which element of colony activity triggered the outcome you now have, so with that unknown it would be folly to continue with one possible element, the gene line.
The 'kindest' path forward is to euthanise that queen, the few bees with her also, as they are near term anyway.
The hardware?
My method back when was to gas(dry nitrogen) hardware under a tarp.. however there were hundreds of boxes involved at that. I have suggested before today (eleswhere) to apply the same method at a smaller scale , only to attract derision from the BT proponents, and the "put them in a freezer" quorum.
As you will find, should find, neither is practical in numbers. Either may work for your one hive.

Bill

Offline rober

• Gold Member
« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2017, 05:08:47 am »
with that many moths that hive was already in trouble. freeze those frames for 2-3 days, chalk this up as a lesson, & get ready for next year.

Offline brooksbeefarm

• Gold Member
« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2017, 10:55:28 am »
I would not try to keep the queen alive, she is a DUd  or her hive would not of dwindled too the point that it could be robbed out or wax mouth could take over. I would put the frames that the bees can clean up in the freezer and use them next year. In the Bee world as with other wild things, it's survival of the fittest. Jack

Offline Lburou

• Gold Member
« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2017, 12:24:22 pm »
I would not try to keep the queen alive, she is a DUd...
My thoughts exactly Jack.  I wouldn't risk resources on such an iffy queen.  I know its hard to pinch her, but that is indicated to me.  JMO   :)
Lee_Burough

Offline Newbee

« Reply #7 on: October 19, 2017, 04:46:06 pm »
Thanks for all the advice everyone, I appreciate the diversity of opinions.
I wasn't able to locate her yesterday, worked 13-hrs today (e.g. no time to check), hopefully tomorrow I will be able to look, but temps have been in the low 40's (F) here at night, so I'm guessing mother nature took care of the nastiness for me.
Agreed, lesson learned, gives me direction and motivation for my education this winter in preparation for the Spring!
Expect a plethora of wax-moth questions this winter! ;)

- K

Offline eltalia

« Reply #8 on: October 19, 2017, 11:36:29 pm »
@Newbee

On that thought of lessons Kevin, be very clear my input is not "opinion".
Unless noted otherwise I put up a diagnoses, often with a prescribed way forward. Information I charge fees for, locally. Like others in forums who effectively run their business "online" what I do post is given freely without expectation, and like many of those is certainly not "opinion".
I wish the bees in your care well in the months/years ahead, and trust the lessons learnt by yourself are valued highly as there is the path to a valued knowledge base.

Bill