Author Topic: Almost done extracting!  (Read 1032 times)

Offline Perry

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
    • Brandt's Bees
Almost done extracting!
« on: October 20, 2017, 03:23:55 pm »
Put in another solid day today and I can see the end of the stacks of supers in the honey house. Despite an earlier prediction of yet another mediocre year (getting used to those), the numbers are looking better than what I expected. I have run 2 ton through my bottling tank (give or take 25 lbs.), and it is now sitting full (300 lbs.) and my primary tank is also full (600 lbs.) and I still have another 65 supers to go. I am thinking if there is any weight in those final 65 supers I may come close to 3 ton. :)
I have had to feed like crazy the last couple of weeks, lost a few 5 over 5 nucs that were so strong Sept. 1st that they ate themselves out of house and home in less than 4 weeks, not bringing in enough to sustain themselves. It was an absolute stupid thing for me to have missed, and could have been caught if I had just taken a few minutes to heft them once in a while, but I was so convinced they were fine I didn't. That dumb mistake won't happen again.
"It is not the man who has too little, but the man who craves more, that is poor."      
Forum Supporter

Offline tedh

• Gold Member
Re: Almost done extracting!
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2017, 04:55:24 pm »
Congratulations on the good harvest Perry!  Three tons! I can't even imagine it!  I'm concerned about a few hives l took an opportunity to quick check today.  But, I got a bit tangled up over the last month or so and didn't do as I should have.  I'd like to think that I'd have done what I knew needed to be done but given the same circumstances, probably not.  Sorry for your losses.  Ted
Share that which you have an abundance of.  In doing so both the giver and receiver are enriched.

Offline CBT

• Gold Member
  • Age gets better with wine
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2017, 09:12:45 pm »
What’s your average per hive honey super 2 or 3 boxes? Glad you are having a well deserved harvest.

Offline neillsayers

• Gold Member
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2017, 12:17:12 am »
Perry,
Congratulations, your hard work is paying off.  :) How much of that do you plan to retail?
Neill Sayers
Herbhome Bees
USDA Zone 7a

Offline Perry

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
    • Brandt's Bees
« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2017, 06:42:01 am »
I tried something different this year with my supering. Usually I put on excluders when I add my first honey supers in the spring, or shortly thereafter. This year I didn't, and I immediately put on 2 supers just as dandelion started, and left the queen to roam freely giving the colonies an unlimited brood nest. Sure enough the queens moved up but as the summer proceeded and the supers were added to those that needed them, the bees pushed down and I only started putting in excluders if I happened upon the queen in my honey supers during casual inspections.

CBT - some had 2 and no more, some ended up with 4. No rhyme or reason to it.  ???

neilsayers - I wholesale very little, pretty much to the Winery only and even that is slightly higher than regular wholesale around here. I am always scratching for honey in July when I am down to a couple cases at the market and I scrape what I can from hives to maintain a presence. Until I am staring at 1,000 lbs. or more of last years honey when I start extracting I see absolutely no need to wholesale anything out.

When I am at the market I remind myself how fortunate we are to be marketing a product that has no shelf life. I watch as how some vendors scramble at the end of the market to divest themselves of perishables and I feel badly for them. With the new booth I built I simply put everything into it at the end of the day and lock it up. All I need to do before the next market is restock it with what I have sold.
"It is not the man who has too little, but the man who craves more, that is poor."      
Forum Supporter

Offline neillsayers

• Gold Member
« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2017, 01:32:39 pm »
Sounds Great! Few more years of this and you will be flush! :)
Neill Sayers
Herbhome Bees
USDA Zone 7a