Recent Posts

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10
There might be a difference in smoker brand names as well, but I have never seen any smoker advertisements that claim to be fire starting resistant.
I try to carry water with me when I go to remote areas check on my hives.  The thought of someone's house burning down because of me and my smoker gives me nightmares.
I have heard folk tales about beekeepers burning up their pick up trucks because of smokers too.
Pests and Diseases / Re: Free Guide for Beekeepers
« Last post by Bakersdozen on Today at 04:42:29 am »
Or maybe this is a totally new publication? It seems to be more comprehensive than I remember.
I was under the impression that it is a new publication.
Beekeeping 101 / Re: Do smokers spit out embers that can cause fires?
« Last post by TheFuzz on Today at 02:05:20 am »
I'll keep that in mind. I just dry coarse bark on top of the toilet paper!
Beekeeping 101 / Re: Do smokers spit out embers that can cause fires?
« Last post by Lburou on Today at 01:45:47 am »
If you place green leaves or grass on top of the fuel inside the smoker, it will minimize the risk.  But there is always a risk of fire.  :)
An artful performance Neil!
Beekeeping 101 / Do smokers spit out embers that can cause fires?
« Last post by TheFuzz on Today at 01:19:12 am »
When I was beekeeping last, I kept my smoker on top of one of the beehives. As I was taking out a frame, I looked up and to my horror, there was a ring of fire ahead of me, about a meter/couple of feet in diameter. I ran and fetched my fire extinguisher and put it out. The fire was then catching on again, I realised that in such short time it had made embers which was hot and causing it to light up again, so I grabbed my 20 liter/5 galleon drum of water and poured it all over the area, completely smoldering it.

I didn't go anywhere near where the fire started. The only way I figure it could have started, is if something hot spat out the smoker, which sent it flying about 5 meters away, causing the area to be set ablaze. Can a smoker do this? I did use a small bunch of toilet paper to start the smoker, and I do vaguely recall reading that using paper to light a smoker can cause it to spit out hot embers.

I have a stainless steel bucket. I figure if a smoker can cause a fire like that, then I ought to not leave it out on top of a hive and instead, drop it in the bucket when not using it.
General Beekeeping / Re: Bees low on honey, going into winter
« Last post by TheFuzz on Today at 01:09:29 am »
Good to know thanks guys. I think I'll just remove the old yuck comb then.
General Beekeeping / Re: Update on BeeWeaver bees
« Last post by Wandering Man on Yesterday at 08:58:23 pm »
You are pretty much in control of grafts? How do you (beef up)  your DCA ?

DCA? I don’t raise queens. I buy from others. I think I’ve had my best luck with RWeaverks Buckfast queens. But they were 6 week out on orders and I’ve needed them in a hurry. So, I’ve been picking them up from Gretchen Bee Ranch in Sequin. They buy queens from other breeders.
General Beekeeping / Re: Update on BeeWeaver bees
« Last post by Mikey N.C. on Yesterday at 08:41:28 pm »
You are pretty much in control of grafts? How do you (beef up)  your DCA ?
Beekeeping 101 / Can they
« Last post by Mikey N.C. on Yesterday at 07:59:28 pm »
Hey all, was wondering can bee's swarm rite at sunset, or 30 minutes later ?
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10