Author Topic: New Info on Varroa  (Read 3891 times)

Offline Les

• Gold Member
New Info on Varroa
« on: March 13, 2018, 12:17:46 am »
The following is a short synopsis of Samuel Ramsey’s doctoral thesis regarding the Varroa Destructor Mite. He spoke at the Southern Adirondack Beekeeper’s Seminar I attended on 3/11.  One of the most interesting, fascinating and informative lectures I have ever attended.  He feels if you don’t treat your bees for Varroa, you are doing disservice to not just your bees but your neighbor’s hives and the feral populations.  You are essentially creating a “Varroa bomb”.

The following users thanked this post: riverbee, Bakersdozen, Mikey N.C., CBT, Kathi

Offline Bakersdozen

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
Re: New Info on Varroa
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2018, 08:17:47 am »
The following is a short synopsis of Samuel Ramsey’s doctoral thesis regarding the Varroa Destructor Mite. He spoke at the Southern Adirondack Beekeeper’s Seminar I attended on 3/11.  One of the most interesting, fascinating and informative lectures I have ever attended.  He feels if you don’t treat your bees for Varroa, you are doing disservice to not just your bees but your neighbor’s hives and the feral populations.  You are essentially creating a “Varroa bomb”.

"Varroa Bomb"  I have heard this term used frequently in the last year.  I think Ramsey is on target.  Treatment free=colony failure.
I don't want to hijack your thread, Les, but Randy Oliver used the exact same term and message last weekend.  Oliver also suggested buyers ask their nuc suppliers what treatments they are using.  If they have been using Amitraz the buyer might need to continue with Amitraz.
Ramsey would be an interesting speaker to hear.  He's the next generation of honey bee scholars.  If he's not writing a book, he will be soon.   ;)  I am glad you got the opportunity to be there.

Offline Wandering Man

• Gold Member
    • Life Lessons from dogs, bees and others
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2018, 09:56:18 am »
Wow!  Good research.  I can't wait to see where he goes next.
Never argue with drunks or crazy people

Offline Lburou

• Gold Member
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2018, 01:22:08 pm »
His discovery is a milestone in the history of research on varroa destructor.  :)
Lee_Burough