Author Topic: more O.A. drizzle queries  (Read 1988 times)

Offline rober

• Gold Member
more O.A. drizzle queries
« on: March 25, 2018, 11:00:03 am »
started this new thread so it doesn't get lost in the shuffle. Jennifer Berry mentions pretreating packages with syrup W/O the O.A. so that the bees are not hungry when treated with O.A. later. since all of my hives have candy on them should their being hungry be a concern? also if it's in the 50's & 60's by day but dropping into the high 30's & low 40'at night should that be a concern in case the bees are still a bit damp?
so far I've only used the vaporizer.

Offline Bakersdozen

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
Re: more O.A. drizzle queries
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2018, 06:59:37 pm »
rober, can you post the link or article name you read by Jennifer Berry?  I'd like to read that.
As I mentioned in another thread, I saw a presentation last week about how to install packaged bees.  The presentation was done by a couple that I respect greatly.  They have been keeping bees since the early 70's. They recommended treating packaged bees with OA drip 7 days after releasing the queen.  A that time, the queen should have brood that has not been capped yet.  They did this treatment last year and saw great results.  They are a supplier of packaged bees for many in the area.  He brings a trailer of packages back from California in the spring.  He said that they are starting to see packaged bees bringing in varroa with them.  Someone questioned the temperatures when applying the dribble and he said 5 ml (I think it's ML)  between the frames holding bees would not be that detrimental.  I plan to do the same this year. 

Offline rober

• Gold Member
Re: more O.A. drizzle queries
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2018, 08:49:41 pm »
I treated 3 hives with my vaporizer yesterday & drizzled 6 today. I bought a battery jumper pack to run the vaporizer but I need something more powerful. diesel glow plugs really suck the juice. the link for Jennifer's article was in my other drizzle thread. here that link plus another with a list of her articles.
http://www.beeculture.com/oxalic-better-way/
http://www.caes.uga.edu/departments/entomology/research/honey-bee-program/about-us/jennifer-a--berry/jennifer-berry-articles-columns.html
The following users thanked this post: riverbee, Bakersdozen