Author Topic: Lots of bees hanging from inner cover  (Read 2346 times)

Offline treeman4646

Lots of bees hanging from inner cover
« on: April 10, 2018, 07:22:46 am »
So on a few of the less cold days we've had since probably around mid/late February, I've taken quick peeks under my inner cover.
At first I saw lots of bees over the top frames. I figured maybe they're low on food so I threw together a 2" rim and put sugar patties on. I guess I should say that my one hive is two deeps with tar paper wrap for the winter. I also have a medium box on top with a 3" piece of Styrofoam insulation all winter long. Anyway, everytime I went back to see how the sugar was lasting I had a huge cluster of bees hanging from the inner cover. A couple weeks ago I put on a pollen patty.
Yesterday I had a peek and the huge hanging cluster is still hanging, still have sugar and still pollen patty. The cluster has to be the size of a cantaloupe or bigger.
It was about +4C, a few bees flying I even saw one drinking from my fence battery cover.
I'm hoping at some they decide to move down, I'm hesitant to take the cover completely off. I don't want to inadvertently lose my queen in that cluster. In my opinion it hasn't been warm enough take the time to really have a good look through the boxes anyway. Here we've had maybe a couple days where it's maybe hit +10C in the afternoon but generally a very cool April so far.

Offline Perry

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
    • Brandt's Bees
Re: Lots of bees hanging from inner cover
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2018, 07:32:11 am »
Quite normal to see that this time of year, especially if there is any space above the frames. They will eventually build comb up there if left too long but for now given the size of the cluster you mentioned I wouldn't disturb them too much. The queen will eventually move down and start to lay in the frame comb and at that point you can remove the space above the top bars. They have gotten this far, you don't want tp do anything to disrupt that at this point.
"It is not the man who has too little, but the man who craves more, that is poor."      
Forum Supporter
The following users thanked this post: treeman4646

Offline riverbee

• Gold Member
  • ***Forum Sponsor***
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2018, 11:19:06 am »
what perry said! very normal, bees move up (that's where the food and heat are) and bees will move down. i wouldn't remove the cover, sort of like having the entire roof of your house lifted off....... :D

the cluster you described is pretty cool!
i keep wild things in a box..........™
if you obey the rules, you miss all the fun.....katherine hepburn
Forum Sponsor

Offline treeman4646

« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2018, 11:36:40 am »
Thanks for the good words...
Of course this is just my first hive, first winter, but I'm sure happy to see how many bees there are. I even went through the winter and pulled lots out from the bottom entrance to keep it clear (small opening on the reducer) got a bit worried at first but there was always buzzing going in the boxes and there was usually a couple ladies coming out to say "Get that stick outa here!"
I wish it would warm up faster to get things going...

Offline Perry

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
    • Brandt's Bees
« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2018, 12:58:21 pm »
I wish it would warm up faster to get things going...

You and me both! ;D
"It is not the man who has too little, but the man who craves more, that is poor."      
Forum Supporter