Author Topic: What should be discussed when placing colonies on another's property  (Read 1745 times)

Offline Bakersdozen

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
I have been invited to place 1 or 2 colonies in a woman's backyard.  I plan to visit her location on Saturday.  I am wondering what aspects of this arrangement we should cover.  She is a former beekeeper and an avid gardener located on a large lot.   As I understand, she would like the bees for pollination and to watch them work her plants and trees.  The property is located about 30 minutes away, is in an older neighborhood with some agriculture 1-2 miles away.  She mentioned alfalfa, soybeans, and corn. The Kaw River is about 3 city blocks away.   I googled her address and got a nice view of the neighborhood. 
I will say that this neighborhood is rather unique. I drove around this neighborhood last spring looking for a shoe repair shop.  It is filled with a lot of old hippy types.  Most of the homes have been kept up and the yards are filled with gardens and blooming plants.  There are a couple of city parks in the area. 
Any suggestions on questions to ask prior to moving in a hive or two?

Offline Les

• Gold Member
Watching.......I have a friend that wants a hive in their yard too.  Plan on moving it over in June.  One question I can think of is are her neighbors okay with her having hives?

Offline Lburou

• Gold Member
Does she want advance notice/approval for your visits?
Lee_Burough
The following users thanked this post: Bakersdozen

Offline Wandering Man

• Gold Member
    • Life Lessons from dogs, bees and others
Do you have a plan for if the bees get aggressive?
Never argue with drunks or crazy people

Offline CBT

• Gold Member
  • Age gets better with wine
If they have fruit or other trees that may need spraying do they except you to move them when that happens?

Offline riverbee

• Gold Member
  • ***Forum Sponsor***
bakers....
first question is, are the bees allowed through city ordinance?
next question how large is the lot? and if ordinance supports 2 hives? if ordinance supports the hives, what if any are the requirements?
these are typically governed by most city ordinances that dictate how many hives can sit on a city lot and most ordinances do govern # of hives according to lot size, and also other miscellaneous requirements.

i am with les, the next important question IS about her neighbors and will they be okay with it and supportive, because if they aren't nothing else matters.

if she gets complaints from neighbor/s and someone freaks out or says they are 'allergic'.......well, then she has to endure the complaints and bees on her lot won't last long, cuz these negative folks, even just one...... don't quit. the negative folks just keep calling the city to complain.

hope this is not the case for you, but questions to ask.

i keep wild things in a box..........™
if you obey the rules, you miss all the fun.....katherine hepburn
Forum Sponsor

Offline apisbees

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
First ask your self is it worth the 30 minute drive to look after 2 hives. Once you drive that distance it is just as easy to look at 10 hives, If you can find a place to put that many.
Honey Judge, Beekeeping Display Coordinator, Armstrong Fair and Rodeo.

Offline Bakersdozen

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
Thanks for all the good suggestions.
This town is where the University of KS is located.  It is filled with a lot of old hippies (for lack of a better term, but true).  The city allows for honey bees with in city limits, but people have kept them for years with in city limits.  I did ask about pesticides and got a firm NO.  She has buckwheat planted just so she can watch the bees work it.  This location is on my way to another location that is 45 minutes away.  I have lots of family in this community, so we go there frequently.  My hairdresser is located there. 
The lots, as she described to me, are narrow but very deep with the houses being located close to the street.  The back of her lot meets up with another lot that is the same, so the houses are actually far apart.  She mentioned a privacy fence. I will see on Saturday.  As for neighbors, it is best if I ask the question.  Even if I think I know the answers, I should ask the question.  I think I will compile a check list of questions.

Offline rober

• Gold Member
since you frequent the area already travel time is not an issue. like some others i'd ask about her neighbors & what does she want, & do you have untethered access. I had a guy that wanted bees but wanted a days notice before I came & 1/2 the honey crop. needless to say I have no hives on that property.

Offline Les

• Gold Member
I had neighbors come over last summer (during the heat wave and drought) and said honeybees were in their saltwater pool and the kids were scared.  I walked over to his yard and explained why the bees were there. Told them if they had another water source nearby the bees “might” go to that.  Then I went and bought them a lovely bird bath and gave them permission to kill any bees that were bothersome.  Never heard from them again.  A little honey goes a long way “so to speak”.

Offline Bakersdozen

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
Re: What should be discussed when placing colonies on another's property
« Reply #10 on: May 19, 2018, 08:41:30 pm »
This afternoon I met with the homeowner. She's a very pleasant lady that really just wants to watch the bees work in her yard and make a safe haven for wildlife.  She and her husband kept bees for about 10 years, but that was prevarroa mites.  She doesn't want to risk  the investment only to lose the bees to mites.  Because she has an 1/2 acre lot, the city will allow 4 colonies.  We are going to start with one.  It will face to the south which is facing a neighbor's privacy fence.  To the west is another neighbor's privacy fence.  The other neighbors don't care about the honey bees.  The lots are very narrow and very, very deep.  The other homeowners that share the back property line have the same lot configuration.(They are 1/2 acre lots.  Very deep!)  I can come anytime I want without calling in advance.  She is going to move a birdbath to the back for the honey bees to use.  The Kansas River is a few blocks away, but this will make hauling water easier for the bees.  There is a city park across the street.  It is filled with White Dutch Clover at the present. 
She has Paw Paw trees, apricots, sour cherry, and plum plus two garden plots.  There is a patch of buckwheat planted along side her little greenhouse.  Out by the street she has planted yellow sweet clover.  Also in her front yard were potatoes, onions, herbs, purple coneflower, milkweed, etc.
I drove down by the levy overlooking the river.  I then went around the neighborhood seeing what trees are available.  Numerous people have dug up their front yards and planted gardens.  Many had dwarf fruit trees planted out front as well.  I saw peaches, apples, crabapples, sumac, elms, maples, etc.
She is excited and so am I!

Offline Les

• Gold Member
Re: What should be discussed when placing colonies on another's property
« Reply #11 on: May 19, 2018, 10:37:38 pm »
Wow, sounds like honeybee Nirvana!  Good luck with this venture.