Author Topic: hive top feeders with floats  (Read 1952 times)

Offline rober

• Gold Member
hive top feeders with floats
« on: February 27, 2019, 09:24:02 am »
anyone used these? i'm wondering about drowning bees.

Offline Jacobs

• Which one do I keep?
Re: hive top feeders with floats
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2019, 06:28:55 pm »
That was the first type of feeder I used.  Some bees will drown under the floats.  The bees will propolize/wax the floats to the sides and ends of the feeder when empty, and small hive beetles will gather under the floats when sugar water has been emptied.  Since bees have open access to the feeder, you will probably need to have a veil on and smoker going to add feed.  You will also have the joy of trying to chase bees out of the feeder to add syrup if the hive is strong.

On the good side, you can put dry pollen substitute on one side and syrup on the other if you want, and bees can chase ants out if they decide to make a meal of sugar syrup.  I rarely use the ones I have.

Offline rober

• Gold Member
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2019, 08:41:17 am »
I'm going to build some. even though mine will be wood I can use screen like this type. another question-do these wood feeders have a tendency to mold?

Offline Barbarian

« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2019, 02:02:50 am »
I used some of the plastic type shown in your last pic.
They were white plastic from Thornes (UK). Material soon became brittle and cracked.
I use Ashforth type (end access) now. Easier to make. Nowadays I use them for cleaning damp crumb cappings.
" Another Owd Codger "

Offline tecumseh

« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2019, 05:32:59 am »
we use those made by brushy creek at the lab.  they (like all choices I guess?) do have plus and minus qualities.  The best aspect at least for here in the south is you can feed at almost anytime without seriously disturbing the bees.  some minor drowning will occur... with the syrup over top leaking of any kind or amount would be a large concern. They can become an extra hang out spot for SHB especially under the float itself.

Offline rober

• Gold Member
« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2019, 07:15:43 pm »
what if screen was attached to the bottom of the float? the bees could slurp syrup but could not get under the float. all feeders seem to attract hive beetles. the 2nd feeder I posted ( black plastic ) always have a lot of beetles on the bottom.

Offline Jtcmedic

« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2019, 12:48:56 pm »
I have been using 1 gallon frame  feeder been working great
4 hives

Offline rober

• Gold Member
« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2019, 01:02:36 pm »
I've using frame feeders for years. I use wood slats for floats instead of the provided screen ladders.
I used top feeders ( like the 2nd photo I posted ) last year for the 1st time & liked them in my out-yards. easy in & out of the hives when time is short. i'm looking at the different types because I plan to build my own.