Author Topic: dark syrup  (Read 1282 times)

Offline rober

• Gold Member
dark syrup
« on: March 21, 2019, 09:09:57 am »
I made some syrup with water that I used to rinse honey buckets so it was probably 5% honey. the syrup was not overheated & the syrup does not taste like it caramelized. anyone had this happen? i'm not taking any chances so i'm dumping the syrup. i'll have to dig a hole. the bees are flying so if I dump it on the ground they bee on it.

Offline iddee

• Administrator
  • Gold Member
Re: dark syrup
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2019, 10:21:11 am »
Don't dump it. Send it to me and I'll feed my bees.  They can separate the sugar from fermented honey. They can remove mold from moldy comb. They can extract clean water from cow patties. I'm sure they can use a bit of darkened syrup.
“Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me... Anything can happen, child. Anything can be.”
― Shel Silverstein

Offline rober

• Gold Member
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2019, 12:07:20 pm »
iddee-haven't dumped it yet. but i'm a little concerned that it 'could' be caramelized. I guess I could dilute with lighter colored syrup. 2 parts light/1 part dark.

Offline iddee

• Administrator
  • Gold Member
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2019, 12:39:14 pm »
Caramelized won't hurt if you have flying weather. It just gives them the runs. Kinda like when you ate green apples when you were young.
Besides, caramelized would "likely" be somewhat solid.
“Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me... Anything can happen, child. Anything can be.”
― Shel Silverstein