Author Topic: Found a source for Cedar. Built some hives.  (Read 8748 times)

Offline Yankee11

• Gold Member
Found a source for Cedar. Built some hives.
« on: January 22, 2016, 06:57:57 pm »
I can get this for about the same price as pine from a local guy. Not gonna paint them. May treat the outside with something. Tops and bottoms left to go.

Offline iddee

• Administrator
  • Gold Member
Re: Found a source for Cedar. Built some hives.
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2016, 07:30:40 pm »
It will kill moths. Let's hope not bees.
“Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me... Anything can happen, child. Anything can be.”
― Shel Silverstein

Offline Perry

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
    • Brandt's Bees
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2016, 07:34:24 pm »
I always wondered about that. Cedar is the most beautiful of woods, but it's legendary resitance to bugs and rot all had me wondering if it would work for hives.
I worked for a couple months in a cedar mill and if anyone there got slivers it was all heck breaking loose. The body would try and push the sliver out as fast as possible or infection would set in.
"It is not the man who has too little, but the man who craves more, that is poor."      
Forum Supporter

Offline Yankee11

• Gold Member
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2016, 07:37:26 pm »
Never built them before but I see them for sale all over the internet. I have been reading of lots of people using them without problems.

We will see I guess. Figure folks that sell them would be out of business  :)

Offline Perry

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
    • Brandt's Bees
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2016, 07:42:13 pm »
You seem to have the Midas touch buddy. I am tempted to bring a bunch of straw your way and see what you can spin out of it. You are truly one of the most resourceful people I've (never) met! 8)
"It is not the man who has too little, but the man who craves more, that is poor."      
Forum Supporter

Offline Yankee11

• Gold Member
« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2016, 07:50:09 pm »
Here is a thread on another forum talking about cedar hives. I read this before putting these together,

http://www.beemaster.com/forum/index.php?topic=27055.0

Offline Yankee11

• Gold Member
« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2016, 07:50:58 pm »
Perry, really?

I am trying to keep up with you,

Offline pistolpete

« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2016, 09:25:32 pm »
What you have there is not really cedar, it's a tree called Rocky Mountain Juniper (Juniperus scopulorum).  In the U.S. It's sometimes referred to as Aromatic cedar.  So when you're doing your research, make sure you're reading about the right wood.  It may have enough aromatic essential oils in it to affect the flavour of your honey, only time will tell.

I have been building my hives from western red cedar and the bees like them.  I leave it rough sawn to encourage propolis on the inside.
My advice: worth price charged :)

Offline tedh

• Gold Member
« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2016, 09:51:16 pm »
For what it's worth, there's a feral colony of honey bees down the road living in a red cedar tree. They've been there two years and seem to be doing okay.  Ted
Share that which you have an abundance of.  In doing so both the giver and receiver are enriched.

Offline Yankee11

• Gold Member
« Reply #9 on: January 22, 2016, 10:41:39 pm »
This is what I have as  live next to the Ozark Mountains.

http://www.ozarkcedarhives.com/#!faqs/c8hd

Looks like it's fine or the bees. Have not found any info about it flavoring the honey.

I will surely taste this honey by itself to see if it does.  Of the honey is fine and the bees are fine I will be using more of this. We will know this summer

Offline pistolpete

« Reply #10 on: January 22, 2016, 10:51:36 pm »
from the web site you linked:

Q: I heard that Eastern Red Cedar is not really cedar. Is that correct?
A: That is correct.  According to many Botanists, the prevalent tree in the Ozarks refered to as Cedar is really a Juniper tree.  However, the wood has many qualities of cedar wood including color, its identifying aroma and resistant qualities.  Eastern Red Cedar is its common name and most locals would not refer to this tree as a juniper.

Offline Yankee11

• Gold Member
« Reply #11 on: January 22, 2016, 10:57:06 pm »
Yea, this place is just north of me. So that Juniper they are talking about is what they make their hives out of would be the same tree as I am using. Juniper.

I think I am OK with this Juniper that they are using.

I can smell it when cutting it but not so much just smelling the board. So I think when the boxes cure they wont smell hardly at all.

Offline Yankee11

• Gold Member
« Reply #12 on: January 23, 2016, 10:22:17 am »
For the price it's worth trying.

I got enough lumber to build 2 complete hives. 2 deeps and 3 super, top and bottoms. 75 bucks. Will let ya know what happens.

Would love to not have to paint and repaint.

Offline pistolpete

« Reply #13 on: January 23, 2016, 11:06:20 am »
don't get me wrong, I think it's a wonderful wood.  Around here a juniper larger than 12" in diameter is a very rare thing.   I use it to line jewellery boxes and carve fruit bowls.  The character is amazing.  It also lasts a very long time. Another common use is for cigar humidors. 

Offline neillsayers

• Gold Member
« Reply #14 on: January 23, 2016, 09:01:32 pm »
Here is a study performed in Oregan to determine if juniper would have a positive affect for honey bee colonies as far as varroa is confirmed.  It's encouraging. Since Eastern red cedar is a juniper I am toying with the idea of trying one next year if the price for the lumber a my local sawmill is reasonable.

http://juniper.oregonstate.edu/royce.htm
Neill Sayers
Herbhome Bees
USDA Zone 7a

Offline apisbees

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
« Reply #15 on: January 24, 2016, 01:28:28 am »
I have lids and bottom boards made with ceder. We also built ceder hive bodies for sale when I ran the hive making co. The bees live in the hive , they don't consume the wood which is lethal foe insects that do. The bees keep the hive ventilated and the air circulating so you will not get a high ceder fume buildup in the hive that will transfer to the honey.
They look really nice The juniper has nicer color and grain than the western red ceder. western ceder also splits easier than other woods so care has to be taken not to pry against the rabbit as it could split. That is the reason i have never made western ceder boxes for my own use.
Honey Judge, Beekeeping Display Coordinator, Armstrong Fair and Rodeo.

Offline Yankee11

• Gold Member
« Reply #16 on: January 24, 2016, 01:52:29 am »
Here is the response I got back from the company that makes hives from this same wood I am using,

Steve,

thank you for emailing us.  We have used cedar for several years now.  Cedar has been used for decades as well.  There would be no smell transferred to the honey.  when cedar is fresh cut the odor is more prevalent and then diminishes.  But even then it will not taint the honey.

Blessings,

Bob Owen

Offline Bakersdozen

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
« Reply #17 on: January 24, 2016, 10:12:13 am »
I don't know about Arkansas, but in Kansas what we call Eastern Red Cedar is Juniperus virginiana.  This tree grows prolifically and will take over a field or prairie if left to do so.  If someone in Arkansas has found a way to make hives out of the stuff and the bees like it, I say more power to them.  Personally, I like them in a controlled location because they provide shelter for birds and such.  The old trees have lots of character.
Most people think of Thuja plicata or Western Red Cedar.  That  is slow to rot but aromatic.   

Offline Yankee11

• Gold Member
« Reply #18 on: January 24, 2016, 10:20:50 am »
That's the tree. I am pretty sure.

From what I'm told by the guy cutting this is that cattle farmers don't like them because the cows will not eat the grass around these trees. The grass is sour? Anyway, he has lots of these to remove for cattle farmers around here.

Offline Bakersdozen

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
« Reply #19 on: January 24, 2016, 05:30:03 pm »
That's the tree. I am pretty sure.

cattle farmers don't like them because the cows will not eat the grass around these trees. The grass is sour? Anyway, he has lots of these to remove for cattle farmers around here.
I bet those farmers are glad to see him come!
The ground around the trees becomes alkaline after years of needle drop.  Cattle won't eat the trees.  As they are indigenous they take over and smother out other natives.  Years ago farmers were encouraged to plant rows of them for wind breaks. 

Offline Barbarian

« Reply #20 on: January 24, 2016, 05:52:46 pm »
In the UK, Western Red Cedar is the timber of choice for hive bodies.

The oils in the timber mean there is little need to treat for exposure to the climate.
The timber weathers to a grey colour,
The timber is light weight, You can feel the difference when you lift an empty super and compare to another timber or ply.

It is also a soft wood. The corners where you pry with a hive tool become slightly rounded. Although soft I haven't read of beekeepers suffering animal damage.

It has been used as a exterior cladding on some buildings. It has to be treated or in a few years it greys and the building looks like an old shed,
" Another Owd Codger "