Beekeeping > Beekeeping 101

What would you do?

(1/2) > >>

Lastfling:
A little history.  This frame came from a hive that absconded in October.  No brood, no bees just uncapped and capped nectar in upper brood box.  This frame came from the lower box and mice and or a squirrel got to it - this only the half left.  It was set up with wired foundation and the foundation braced with fishing line horizontally.  As you can see the line has been cut/bitten.  I’ve had bees do this, but suspect this was done by whatever took the comb. 

Should I just cut line/ wire and reuse as is;  trash existing foundation and replace; or just start anew period?  Inquiring minds haha.  Possibly use in swarm trap is another option.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

iddee:
As dark as it is, I think I would clean it and install new foundation.

Bakersdozen:
I am thinking of mouse urine. Blehhh!  It's dark and I would cut it out and start over with the frame and new wiring.  We should all be culling comb that is 3-5 years old due to residual pesticides.

Lastfling:
I can do that!! Replacing was my first thought, but wanted to run it by those that know way more than me first.

Thanks and Happy New Year to everyone.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Riverrat:
I would cut the comb out leaving a row or 2 of cells on top to give the bees A guide to build new comb.  Make sure hive is level and should work fine

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version