Author Topic: Confused  (Read 11374 times)

Offline Finally Home

Re: Confused
« Reply #20 on: December 29, 2013, 08:29:41 am »
Does that hive have a screened bottom or wide open entrance by chance?

Neither.  Solid bottom with entrance reducer to the smallest opening.

Offline Zookeep

« Reply #21 on: December 29, 2013, 08:58:39 am »
FH when does spring start for you in your area? and as far as next winter you wont need patties if you plan to leave 1 super of honey above the 2 deeps, its always better to leave a little extra food for the girls then the other way around
Springs a week
Falls a Rumor
Winters 2 weeks
the rest is all Summer

[size=150] BeachBum Beekeeper Division[/size]

Offline Finally Home

« Reply #22 on: December 29, 2013, 10:37:51 am »
FH when does spring start for you in your area? and as far as next winter you wont need patties if you plan to leave 1 super of honey above the 2 deeps, its always better to leave a little extra food for the girls then the other way around

April/May   ---  ---  Guess I'm such a honey lover I was in the 'IT'S ALL FOR ME"  mind set  :-* :-*  Time to change that thinking.  If they all do well this winter I should get plenty of ME honey in the spring and will leave them a super full in the fall. 
So on first year hives I should give them a super when needed and just leave it alone. 

I've got my sugar boards ready.  Going to let the temps come up a little before opening them up.  Thanks again everyone.

Offline Finally Home

« Reply #23 on: December 29, 2013, 12:57:36 pm »
Ok, boards are all on.  Minimal invasion.  Temps hit 40 for a few minutes.  When I wrapped my hives I used the black sign board.  I also put a piece of that on top of the inner cover for a lil more insulation.  So when I took the top cover off no cold or wind got inside. As I slid the boards in place it just pushed the sign board out.  Then put the sign board back on top of the sugar board.  All bees are in the top box of all the hives (could see as I was sliding boards in place) so I guess the mild fall may have gave them the munchies real bad.  Got 5 lbs. of sugar on each.
How long should I let them sit before checking on them??

Offline Jen

• Platinum Member
« Reply #24 on: December 29, 2013, 02:41:00 pm »
Way to go Fin!
There Is Peace In The Queendom

Offline riverbee

• Gold Member
  • ***Forum Sponsor***
« Reply #25 on: January 01, 2014, 06:37:16 pm »
fh, it's not so much about cold and wind, it's about disturbing the cluster. sometimes in not so good circumstances placing feed in, in cold weather climates is tricky.  that sugar should last them awhile.  do you have an inner cover over the board? if so, on a warm day you can gently(lol on the gently) remove the outer cover and take a quick peek in through the hole of the inner cover. (i use a flashlight and cheaters....lol) not sure but i think beeks in northern climates will put a 10lb bag in and lasts until spring......lazy beekeeper may be able to answer this question for you better than i can.

about honey reserves,  i use double deeps, as far as leaving the extra super on, only you will be able to guage what needs to be left on come fall or before harvesting any honey from a hive, and that applies to any time during the season.  for example if the bees put away some honey in a super during the season and you hit a dearth, leave it on for them, then feeding them sugar syrup is minimized.  if in late summer and early fall, there is not enough stores for them, leave it on for them, or what i do to get them to fill out the bottom deeps; i will place the super above the inner cover and scratch some of the cappings so that the bees move this down into the deeps below.  one has to be careful with this though, so as not to set robbing off.  i don't typically winter my hives with a super on top the double deeps.  i do my best to see that the deeps are full. leaving a super on absolutely does no harm and is extra insurance for your bees.  better for them than running out of honey stores.

hope i made sense?  best wishes to you and your bees!
i keep wild things in a box..........™
if you obey the rules, you miss all the fun.....katherine hepburn
Forum Sponsor

Offline Finally Home

« Reply #26 on: January 01, 2014, 06:46:22 pm »
Thanks for the info.  You made sense to me.
I just set the sugar boards on top of the inner cover and put the black plastic sign board on top of the that board.  I cut a larger opening in the mesh on the sugar board so they can get in easier. 

Offline pistolpete

« Reply #27 on: January 02, 2014, 11:11:30 pm »
I had a strong hive last winter where the cluster was very big.   On a warmer day, shining a light in the bottom entrance would reveal some bees, but looking in the top I would also see them.    They did fine in 2 deeps, but I did start feeding syrup the minute it got warm enough in March. 
My advice: worth price charged :)

Offline Jen

• Platinum Member
« Reply #28 on: January 02, 2014, 11:16:22 pm »
I'm gonna feed winter patties first, but Glenn has instructed to start with syrup so that I can get some honey this coming fall. Scratching head

Offline LazyBkpr

• Gold Member
  • www.outyard.net
    • The Outyard
« Reply #29 on: January 03, 2014, 01:09:28 am »
Site isnt near finished but might help!

http://outyard.weebly.com/wintering.html

5 lbs is what I put on each hive. Not sure how far above or below me you are FH, but if your in a similar latitude and the bees are already in the top, I would check them again early - mid February and be ready to add more sugar at that time.
Drinking RUM before noon makes you a PIRATE not an alcoholic!

*Sponsor*

Offline Finally Home

« Reply #30 on: January 03, 2014, 08:01:23 am »
Site isnt near finished but might help!

http://outyard.weebly.com/wintering.html

5 lbs is what I put on each hive. Not sure how far above or below me you are FH, but if your in a similar latitude and the bees are already in the top, I would check them again early - mid February and be ready to add more sugar at that time.

Probably about the same.  I'm in NW Ind.  Off to work now so I'll read your page when I get home.  Have a great day!

Offline riverbee

• Gold Member
  • ***Forum Sponsor***
« Reply #31 on: January 06, 2014, 02:59:42 pm »
"I'm gonna feed winter patties first, but Glenn has instructed to start with syrup so that I can get some honey this coming fall. Scratching head"

jen winter patties are winter feed, insurance for the bees if and when they run out of stores.  when spring comes, and it is warm enough, you will be removing what's left of the patty (if any) and can then feed syrup.
i keep wild things in a box..........™
if you obey the rules, you miss all the fun.....katherine hepburn
Forum Sponsor

Offline Jen

• Platinum Member
« Reply #32 on: January 06, 2014, 08:40:38 pm »
riv- thanks and that's what I have gathered so far. I have winter patties coming just in case I need them, and I have another hive that I'm helping to take care of at a friends house. I know his bees might want some food cause he caught a small swarm from my hive last spring, and the swarm didn't get big enough for my liking. Not even sure there is a queen in there. But if there isn't, and they have food it may propel them into making a queen..... i think