Author Topic: Getting ready for spring  (Read 17240 times)

Offline Slowmodem

• Gold Member
    • http://gregsbees.blogspot.com/
Re: Getting ready for spring
« Reply #40 on: January 08, 2014, 04:01:45 pm »
I am using one that my dad said was too big for him. Last year it quit and when I pulled it apart I found the fuel line was rotted off the tank.  That could have been a bad fire.

I think you'll find ethanol is the culprit.  It eats rubber and destroys carburetors.

Look for 100% gas to run in small engines.  Also, use a good quality oil to mix in the gas.
Greg Whitehead
Ten Mile, TN
Beekeeping at 26.4 kbs

Offline LazyBkpr

• Gold Member
  • www.outyard.net
    • The Outyard
« Reply #41 on: January 08, 2014, 06:22:26 pm »
Have to buy premium here to get no alcohol.. thats what I always used in my boat and small engines anyhow, but dont think it will be long before they switch the Premium as well..   wonder if I can go after them to PAY for my repairs when they switch that to alcohol too????   Since they added Alcohol to ALL gas but premium, I have been running nothing but premium in all my vehicles..    Owniong older trucks makes that a real pain to deal with, and I refuse to buy a new one.
  Wife had a little 2wd Chevy truck with a 4.3 in it.. that think ATE fuel pumps...  I put six in it in seven years..  Then I told her to stop using the cheap gas.. had it another five years with no fuel pumps..  she sold it to her sisters boy...  he put three fuel pumps in it in two years...
   Alcohol sounds good, and looks good on paper, but the fact is, it takes a lot more alcohol to get the same power, UNLESS your engine is designed to RUN Alcohol..   Higher compression, better cam etc..    Our Govt website states how BAD alcohol is compared to gasoline, and everything they say is TRUE, Unless, you change the engine design so that it is MEANT to run alcohol, and then there is NO Comparison whatsoever...
   i wont even go into how they say we dont produce enough grain in this country to make alcohol for vehicles............................ :laugh:
Drinking RUM before noon makes you a PIRATE not an alcoholic!

*Sponsor*

Offline riverbee

• Gold Member
  • ***Forum Sponsor***
« Reply #42 on: January 08, 2014, 06:39:14 pm »
"I hear that the new chainsaws are fussy on fuel.  Are you guys required to run alcohol in your fuel? I am using one that my dad said was too big for him. Last year it quit and when I pulled it apart I found the fuel line was rotted off the tank.  That could have been a bad fire."

how about us girlies..... :D they are, or so i am told, and use of premium fuel only, and no additives.
i do have to say that using premium fuel has made a difference.
i keep wild things in a box..........™
if you obey the rules, you miss all the fun.....katherine hepburn
Forum Sponsor

Offline iddee

• Administrator
  • Gold Member
« Reply #43 on: January 08, 2014, 06:44:18 pm »
Chain saws aren't for girls. You are supposed to marry LOGGers, not LAWyers.  :P
“Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me... Anything can happen, child. Anything can be.”
― Shel Silverstein

Offline Perry

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
    • Brandt's Bees
« Reply #44 on: January 08, 2014, 06:47:03 pm »
Chain saws aren't for girls. You are supposed to marry LOGGers, not LAWyers.  :P

Perry steps away................far away!  :o
"It is not the man who has too little, but the man who craves more, that is poor."      
Forum Supporter

Offline iddee

• Administrator
  • Gold Member
« Reply #45 on: January 08, 2014, 06:48:16 pm »
You can't get far enough away to escape the coming explosion, Perry.  :laugh:
“Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me... Anything can happen, child. Anything can be.”
― Shel Silverstein

Offline Perry

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
    • Brandt's Bees
« Reply #46 on: January 08, 2014, 06:56:01 pm »

....... This weekend fired up the chainsaw and made it into turning blanks.
To which Efmesch replied: "You caught me on a sore point.  I dream of buying a chain saw and making easy work of my tree cutting work----only I'm afraid of them things.  I don't think my strength today is adequate to handle one safely." 

C'mon Ef, someone took this picture of you a couple of years ago. We know why you don't need a chainsaw my friend.  ;)

"It is not the man who has too little, but the man who craves more, that is poor."      
Forum Supporter

Offline efmesch

• Gold Member
« Reply #47 on: January 09, 2014, 11:34:32 am »
Okay folks,  you'll never guess what kind of shopping I've been doing.  I LOOKED at a few chain-saw models today, but I'm not ready to make the purchase yet.  :-\

Best of all, I did my "shopping" while my wife did hers.  So she had a weak spot exposed and she didn't even object to my intended purchase. O:-) 
Maybe I'll find the right saw for the right price------ ;D

Offline riverbee

• Gold Member
  • ***Forum Sponsor***
« Reply #48 on: January 09, 2014, 12:04:42 pm »
"Chain saws aren't for girls. You are supposed to marry LOGGers, not LAWyers.  :P"

"Perry steps away................far away!  :o"

"You can't get far enough away to escape the coming explosion, Perry.  :laugh:"

lol, some funny stuff you guys!  IDdEE, my brothers were all LOGGers, well except one, he was the smart one......and that's why i married a LAWyer..... ;D :D 
i keep wild things in a box..........™
if you obey the rules, you miss all the fun.....katherine hepburn
Forum Sponsor