Author Topic: shopping for frames and wired wax and wire  (Read 3073 times)

Offline Jen

• Platinum Member
shopping for frames and wired wax and wire
« on: January 09, 2014, 06:09:47 pm »
It appears that the bee companies are closely competitive in pricing, Mann is a little higher. I'm shopping for unassembled frames, wired wax foundation, and wire. Any suggestions... or should I just point to one and order?

I only need 10 frames for right now
There Is Peace In The Queendom

Offline DLMKA

Re: shopping for frames and wired wax and wire
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2014, 06:18:20 pm »
How many are you getting? If you're only getting a hundred or less free shipping from Mann Lake makes up for difference but buying in bulk and it's cheaper to pay shipping.  Dadant hasn't raised their prices for 2014 yet but I suspect they will soon, order quick if you're getting from Dadant.

Offline tecumseh

« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2014, 06:29:49 pm »
it is my understanding that some of the supplier use the same contractor for their frames and their boxes.  most especially for the frames not all the frames sold by the known supplier are of equal quality.  < you can pick and choose here but generally the best price will be highly related to shipping cost.

most really really good deal on frames or boxes generally means you have to by pass the middle man and you can only really do this if you buy in extremely large numbers. 

Offline Crofter

• ex pressure welder/steamfitter; now a tinker
  • Location: N. Ontario, On the shore of North Channel of Lake Huron 46.00 N. Lat.
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2014, 07:33:44 pm »
Jaybird, you wont be able to ship wax in this weather without expecting it to get broken up.  I have had the corners of wax foundation kind of cauliflowered on the corners from rough handling in warm weather but would have been junk if it was cold.
Frank

Offline iddee

• Administrator
  • Gold Member
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2014, 08:35:13 pm »
I haven't checked prices in years, so shop carefully, but check Western out along the way.

http://westernbee.com/index.html
“Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me... Anything can happen, child. Anything can be.”
― Shel Silverstein

Offline Jen

• Platinum Member
« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2014, 09:56:26 pm »
Crofter-  Glory Bee is about 3 hours away from us. Maybe I'll call them and get some advice on shipping the wax. And for that matter, we may even drive up to pick it up if we have to.

Good Information Thanks!
There Is Peace In The Queendom