Author Topic: Buzz Pollinators  (Read 4206 times)

Offline Les

• Gold Member
Buzz Pollinators
« on: April 11, 2018, 10:48:29 am »
Learned something new but if you watch the video to the end, it is indicated that blueberries need buzz pollinators.  Honeybees are not buzz pollinators, so why are commercial beekeepers hauling honeybees to blueberry fields? 

Offline moebees

Re: Buzz Pollinators
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2018, 12:05:21 pm »
Learned something new but if you watch the video to the end, it is indicated that blueberries need buzz pollinators.  Honeybees are not buzz pollinators, so why are commercial beekeepers hauling honeybees to blueberry fields? 

Here is an article from NC State. https://entomology.ces.ncsu.edu/small-fruit-insect-biology-management/blueberry-pollinators/

They say sonication enhances pollination so apparently it is beneficial but not essential as with tomatoes.  So like with most pollination done with honey bees they get results through overwhelming numbers.
Bee-keeping is like raising Martians - Isabella Rossellini
The following users thanked this post: Les

Offline riverbee

• Gold Member
  • ***Forum Sponsor***
Re: Buzz Pollinators
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2018, 09:03:41 pm »
les, what moebees said about the numbers.

honeybees go for the blueberries primarily for the nectar, and as i understand it, they will 'drum' or 'vibrate' the anther to release whatever little pollen they can and inadvertently carry it from one flower to the next.

the bumbles and wild bees are the best at the buzz pollination, honey bees are a supplement, my understanding.

i think perry might be able to answer this question better than i can, can't remember if he did some blueberry pollination or not?
i keep wild things in a box..........™
if you obey the rules, you miss all the fun.....katherine hepburn
Forum Sponsor
The following users thanked this post: Les