Author Topic: Presentation!  (Read 15813 times)

Offline iddee

• Administrator
  • Gold Member
Re: Presentation!
« Reply #20 on: July 06, 2014, 01:23:03 pm »
Jen, I have presented to 400 girl scouts that age at a jamboree. I have stood at the bee exhibit at the state zoo and handed them out to all ages for hours on Sunday. You are not there to feed the kids a meal. You are there to teach about bees and honey. The oyster crackers work great and one kid may want one and another may want 6 or eight. Now think about thirty kids with the amount of honey that will go on a graham cracker, and a few don't like the taste. After the teacher gets done cleaning the sticky mess, you will be forever banned from that school.   :o
“Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me... Anything can happen, child. Anything can be.”
― Shel Silverstein

Offline Bamabww

« Reply #21 on: July 06, 2014, 01:28:36 pm »
I was asked to do a show and tell to two 2nd grade classes and by far the most interesting thing (to the kids) I carried was bees with different color pollen in 3 or 4 pint jars. Everyone, including the lunch room staff came out to see that when I explained what they were.

The kids liked the suit, veil etc but they loved the bees with pollen in their sacks.
Wayne

Offline Jen

• Platinum Member
« Reply #22 on: July 06, 2014, 01:53:03 pm »
Actually Apis, that's a good idea. When I am talking bees with others I have found that some of them don't know which one is the honey bee... they just know that they all sting! Identifying the different bees is a cool idea ~
There Is Peace In The Queendom

Offline Jen

• Platinum Member
« Reply #23 on: July 06, 2014, 02:29:04 pm »
Iddee- "After the teacher gets done cleaning the sticky mess, you will be forever banned from that school. 

:D Well okay to the mess but I still think a graham cracker with a good blop of honey on it. One drop of honey just doesn't cut it for me and my foodie tendancies. And I would clean up the mess, just take along a box of wipes.

Actually we don't know how many kids Scott has to work with, let's see.... if it's thirty kids, give them a graham cracker with honey, if it's 8 kids give them a graham cracker with honey.

Offline brooksbeefarm

• Gold Member
« Reply #24 on: July 06, 2014, 02:41:33 pm »
Honey sticks is always a big hit, the word gets around and my daughter laughs when the next year starts, the kids ask her if her daddy is bringing the bees and honey sticks this year. :D Jack

Offline apisbees

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
« Reply #25 on: July 06, 2014, 04:06:41 pm »
I like the sampling of the honey with out the added taste of what the honey is placed on use coffee stir sticks of have them wash their hands and use a bear and put a drop on their finger so the can lick it off. the stir stick is good for teaching about the viscosity of honey and having to swirl it to keep the honey on the stick but it can also be more messy. At the peoples choice honey competition at the Honey Producers Conference, I was surprised at how many beekeepers hadn't mastered the stick twirl evident by the number of honey drops on the table and floor.
Honey Judge, Beekeeping Display Coordinator, Armstrong Fair and Rodeo.

Offline Jen

• Platinum Member
« Reply #26 on: July 06, 2014, 04:10:43 pm »
That's another good idea, if Scott can't find stir sticks the $store will have popsicle sticks. The public bee programs and farmers markets use stick pretzels.

Offline efmesch

• Gold Member
« Reply #27 on: July 06, 2014, 04:23:42 pm »
How about bringing along some LIVE drones.  If you trim their wings you shouldn't have any problems of their flying away and the kids can get a good look at bees that don't sting.  The brave ones might even be so bold as to let them crawl on their hands.  This can serve as a good lesson to prove that not all bees sting and might help reduce/eliminate some of the fear kid have of bees.

Offline Bakersdozen

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
« Reply #28 on: July 06, 2014, 07:56:25 pm »
How about bringing along some LIVE drones.  If you trim their wings you shouldn't have any problems of their flying away and the kids can get a good look at bees that don't sting.  The brave ones might even be so bold as to let them crawl on their hands.  This can serve as a good lesson to prove that not all bees sting and might help reduce/eliminate some of the fear kid have of bees.
That would get anyone's attention.  Good idea.
Pretzel sticks and honey is a good attention getter as well.  I would offer that at the end.  I also like someone's idea about different insects mounted so a child can learn to identify them.  They will be less likely to blame every stinging insect as a honeybee.
A frame of capped honey or some comb so they can touch it and smell it. 
How about some cut flowers or potted flowers of nectar plants?  Tell the kids to plant this for the bees next year.

Offline mamapoppybee

« Reply #29 on: July 08, 2014, 11:34:30 am »
I like the idea about spinning a bit of honey with them. kids are as much hands on as they are visual. May be the misses could bake some treats made with honey? Then it would help show its uses. perhaps a few examples of what can be made from bee products. If you have some specimen of bees that have past so they can see them on a board. make a couple you can pass around so they can look as your talking. Card board is cheep to free.  Excited you got the gig can never teach enough!

Offline LazyBkpr

• Gold Member
  • www.outyard.net
    • The Outyard
« Reply #30 on: July 08, 2014, 07:56:56 pm »

Indeed!  Some excellent ideas here..

I was called by the local library, and two weeks later another library in a town over called and asked if I would present to the kids there as well, so it was a two gig day today. Most of the kids were younger in the 6 year old range, so a lot of what I planned to say was cut short by a limited attention span..
   I opened the observation hive, and that got a lot of attention fast..  after that I answered questions as they came rapid fire..   I had some good clean comb from a cut out, so when they asked me questions about the comb I handed them pieces of it.  One little girl was telling a friend about how the queen would kill the other queens in the hive without any prompting from me, so I nominated her for the next honey princess..  Her mom blushed worse than she did...
   I had a fantastic time once I had their attention riveted..  Most heavier questions came from moms after my main talk was done..   Not so bad being surrounded by curious moms......  now that most of them are 20 years younger than I am!!!     O:-)
Drinking RUM before noon makes you a PIRATE not an alcoholic!

*Sponsor*

Offline brooksbeefarm

• Gold Member
« Reply #31 on: July 08, 2014, 08:59:01 pm »
I know what you mean lazy, some of those 50 yr. old moms can ask some hard questions.  :laugh: Jack

Offline Jen

• Platinum Member
« Reply #32 on: July 08, 2014, 09:44:11 pm »
Hey Jack! I Resemble That Remark!  :D

Offline riverbee

• Gold Member
  • ***Forum Sponsor***
« Reply #33 on: July 08, 2014, 10:03:45 pm »
"I know what you mean lazy, some of those 50 yr. old moms can ask some hard questions.  :laugh: Jack"

LOL!!!........ :D
i keep wild things in a box..........™
if you obey the rules, you miss all the fun.....katherine hepburn
Forum Sponsor

Offline efmesch

• Gold Member
« Reply #34 on: July 09, 2014, 03:17:11 am »
 Do the Dads attend the lectures delivered by female beeks?  :o

Offline LazyBkpr

• Gold Member
  • www.outyard.net
    • The Outyard
« Reply #35 on: July 09, 2014, 09:47:55 am »
Do the Dads attend the lectures delivered by female beeks?  :o

If Yoga pants or Jammies are involved it is a real possibility attendance would soar!

*Sponsor*

Offline Jen

• Platinum Member
« Reply #36 on: July 09, 2014, 11:56:29 am »
You can count me in on modeling the swarm catching jammies, worn out birkenstocks, with a ball cap and a head veil. The ball cap says I 'big red heart' Honeybees, or Hardcore Carnivore, which ever cap I find first.  :D

Offline riverbee

• Gold Member
  • ***Forum Sponsor***
« Reply #37 on: July 09, 2014, 11:57:29 am »
............... :laugh:
i keep wild things in a box..........™
if you obey the rules, you miss all the fun.....katherine hepburn
Forum Sponsor

Offline LazyBkpr

• Gold Member
  • www.outyard.net
    • The Outyard
« Reply #38 on: July 09, 2014, 07:49:42 pm »
LOL Mrs. Jen!

*Sponsor*

Offline Bakersdozen

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
« Reply #39 on: July 13, 2014, 11:07:11 am »
Lazy,  Good job thinking on the fly.  Short attention spans and all, I think those kids probably learned a lot.