Author Topic: European Foul Brood  (Read 2395 times)

Offline Yankee11

• Gold Member
European Foul Brood
« on: March 17, 2016, 11:57:45 pm »
I just had a bout of this and looks like were on the mend now. I have a question.

All the hives ,about 6, plus hives I lost this winetr another 4 or 5 more. All these hives I took and sat on Sunflowers n the fall and all these hives loaded
up on orange pollen. I am wondering if anyone knows anything or has any experience with Sunflowers.

Just odd that all this came from the same yard. I took all these hive to the sunflowers when they started booming n the fall and brought them back before winter. My idea was to get them built up for winter, but they are all my weakest hives.

Offline rwlaw

Re: European Foul Brood
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2016, 07:18:56 am »
That's good to hear. I can't help much as never had to deal with it. But having discussions with my beekin bud who had,was always to requeen and treat with Terramycin. His theory was, the queen might be infected and she might never get over it.
It's not a honeybee, it's a honey bee. Whateveer!

Offline Yankee11

• Gold Member
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2016, 08:57:25 am »
Thanks RW,

I have the EFB under control. The reason for requeening is to have a brood break, It's not the queen, you have to stop the feeding of larvae, that's spreads it. Treat with Terramycin while there is no brood.

But my main queston is what weakened these hives that were on the sunflowers. I am wondering if they may have brought in to much of a singles source of pollen and wonder if that pollen could have been tainted with something.

I thought I had read on here somewhere where guys up north were having trouble with hives on sunflowers.

Offline Perry

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
    • Brandt's Bees
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2016, 10:29:56 am »
I thought I had read on here somewhere where guys up north were having trouble with hives on sunflowers.

I seem to remember reading that somewhere as well, it sounds familiar. :yes:
"It is not the man who has too little, but the man who craves more, that is poor."      
Forum Supporter

Offline CBT

• Gold Member
  • Age gets better with wine
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2016, 12:39:27 pm »
Thread: Bee news/ more ccd

Offline Barbarian

« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2016, 03:26:54 am »
EFB Treatment

In the UK, oxytetracycline (Terramycin) is no longer used to treat EFB.
The treatment is via Shook Swarm.
The UK National Bee Unit finds that it is more effective. There is less chance of EFB recurring in the short and medium term.
Beekeepers report that a Shook Swarm colony will often quickly build up to a better state than before the procedure.

When a keep suspects foul brood he/she has to notify a Bee Disease Officer. The officer attends shortly to confirm. After confirmation, the apiary goes into quarantine and hygiene working. Local apiaries are also quarantined until checked by the BDO.

I wonder if Admin might send a "heads up" PM to other non-US members requesting input on treatment. I look forward to a response from the BDO of Nova Scotia.     ;D
" Another Owd Codger "