Sustainable Living > Preserving Food

Grape Jam with honey using Pomona's Universal Pectin

(1/2) > >>

Les:
I was blessed yesterday with at least a bushel full of concord grapes.  Since Ken is a type 2, I have been searching for ways to cut the sugar in many things.  I stumbled upon a pectin called Pomona's Universal Pectin and it is so different than all the other pectins.  You only use two teaspoons of pectin but the secret is that you use calcium (which is in the box). You can use sugar, stevia or honey and adjust the amounts of sweetener to taste.  I opted for honey (he swears he can taste any artificial sugars and turns his nose up) and this morning I dipped my spoon into the 2nd batch.  OMG, amazing!  For 4lbs of grapes, I used approximately 3/4 cup honey.  Using other pectins, you would have had  to use at least 4 cups of sugar.   The product is a bit pricey but you can make at least 3-4 batches out of one box.  They have a website that contains lots of recipes for jellies and jams....some unusual recipes too if you like to try something new and different. 

apisbees:
Les can you post the link to their website Thanks.

iddee:
I'm not Les, but.....................

http://www.pomonapectin.com/

apisbees:
Their site has a store locator to find and buy it locally Found 3 places in Vernon to buy it.

Jen:
Funny! I was just on a freezer jam sit and was reading about Pomona pectin. I couldn't find it at our walmart, not surprising. So, I got the freezer jam pectin. The strawberry jam is much too sweet, but I'll get it down somehow ~ :D ~ But would rather try the Pomona!

Thanks Les, you are a world of good information

Also, Thanks for the seeds and the lovely homemade card! I just love it! It's sitting on top of my printer right where I sit at the computer  ;) 8)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version