Author Topic: Doing presentation for kids, need suggestions?  (Read 5535 times)

Offline Bakersdozen

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
Doing presentation for kids, need suggestions?
« on: June 07, 2017, 08:27:51 am »
I am doing a 1 hour presentation about beekeeping for inner city teenagers at the end of the month.  We are probably looking at age 16 and under.  I am hoping that folks on the forum can give me suggestions on what to include in my outline.   :yes: Please don't suggest an observation hive.   :no: I don't have one and I don't have time to build or get one and fill it.  An observation hive would be effective but I am going to stick with power point presentation, honey for tasting, and equipment.
Our local bee club has a youth scholarship program that I will be promoting.  I also have some flyers from the National Honey Board with recipes and fun honey bee facts.  I have some bee friendly seed packets to give away as well.
So, any thoughts?

Offline Wandering Man

• Gold Member
    • Life Lessons from dogs, bees and others
Re: Doing presentation for kids, need suggestions?
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2017, 08:38:44 am »
Just that you're awesome!

Honey, seeds, equipment, and recipes? And working with inner city kids! Sounds great!

Add a couple of short videos to your PowerPoint for variety, but you've probably already got that covered.
Never argue with drunks or crazy people

Offline efmesch

• Gold Member
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2017, 11:02:29 am »
If you can cage a few drones and bring them with you, they can provide a safe way to show bees from up close without any need for sting protection.  You could even let them free at the end of the talk.  One caution though: keep in mind that, if handled the wrong way, they can eject their mating organs and make things a bit messy.  For an older group such a demonstration could be valuable for teaching about bee reproduction, but for the age group you mention, I woudn't advise it.
The following users thanked this post: Bakersdozen

Offline Jen

• Platinum Member
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2017, 03:40:42 pm »
Agree with Ef on the drones, great hands on experience.
There Is Peace In The Queendom

Offline Newbee

« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2017, 04:57:46 pm »
Ditto Drones and videos (think short attention span...)
Do you have an old Nuc box you could put some in w/ fondant or something? Most people are scared to bejesus by them, especially folks that aren't 'country', so having an opportunity to peer at them up close and extended may be a once in a lifetime thing!
Maybe make some desserts/cookies or something sweet for the kids to eat? W/ honey of course! But even teenagers will remember "that cool lady that brought the bee's in, she had some great cookies, I wish I had more of those..."
Ditto the kudo's to reaching out and educating!

- K

Offline robo

• Beekeep On!
    • Ramblings, Rants, & Ravings
« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2017, 07:16:28 pm »
My favorite prank is to pretend a bee went in my ear and then open my mouth and let a drone fly out :P

"Opportunity is missed by most people because it comes dressed in overalls and looks like work." - Thomas Edison

Offline Jen

• Platinum Member
« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2017, 07:44:54 pm »
Ooooooh! I think I'll practice that one, how much fun is that  :D

Offline Bakersdozen

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
« Reply #7 on: June 08, 2017, 08:03:46 am »
My favorite prank is to pretend a bee went in my ear and then open my mouth and let a drone fly out :P
:laugh:   :no:

Taking drones with me is an excellent idea.  It minimizes the risk of a sting ruining someone's day. Any suggestions on how to transport them?  An old queen cage? Oops!  Just reread Newbee's suggestion of using a nuc box.  That's a better idea.
I think it will be easy to take too much equipment for the time given.  Drawn comb will be something they can touch and smell. 
I am embarrassed to show anyone my full bee suit.  I think it is being held together with propolis.

Offline Jen

• Platinum Member
« Reply #8 on: June 08, 2017, 12:22:39 pm »
How about a simple as a peanut butter jug sans lid, put netting over the top with a couple strong rubber bands. Then when in class take the netting off and let the drones crawl out.

Offline Nugget Shooter

• Nugget Shooter
« Reply #9 on: June 08, 2017, 01:21:10 pm »
On another note may be a good idea to let teacher or school know that it will involve honey tasting so any children with sugar intake issues will be identified.
Cheers, Bill

Offline Bakersdozen

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
« Reply #10 on: July 01, 2017, 09:14:48 am »
Thanks for all the great suggestions.  I gave two presentations yesterday, back to back.  30 urban summer camp kids in each group.  I think it went well.  My husband, who works at the community college that was providing the summer camp, was a definite asset.
What started out as 1 hour to 30 kids turned into 2 - 30 minute sessions each with 30 campers.  So I was overly prepared, but that's OK.  Sorry, no pictures.   :sad:  There was a young man taking pictures for the college who said he would see that I got copies.
I received some suggestions, and clean unused gear, from a beekeeping gal who does this often.  Her suggestions were spot on.
For each presentation, after introductions, I asked for a volunteer to play dress up.  All hands raised.  Picked a child from the audience I thought would fit into the borrowed bee suit.  I had the child start dressing and explained what the purpose of each protective device was for.  Finished with hive tool that never leaves your hand and smoker.  Explained the purpose and how to operate both of those.  As the child undressed I assembled a hive from the bottom board up, explaining as I went.
Next was the power point presentation I had put together.  This is where I was short on time, so I whizzed through that pretty quick so that I could tell them about the youth scholarship program through my local bee club.  I had info packets ready and passed them out to interested kids.  I was also able to inform them about their local city codes regarding beekeeping.  As they left, I handed out honey sticks (thanks to beekeeping gal friend) and lip balm that I had made.  Some of the kids acted like they had never tasted honey before.  (Picture me with a big smile here.  ;D)  One boy made sure I saw his tube of Burts Bees lip balm!  I also had copies of American Bee Journal and Dadant catalogs to hand out, courtesy of the bee club. 
Considering the last minute time restraints, I think all went well,  mostly because of my husband's assistance.  If I do it again, I have a power point presentation in my bag of tricks.
The following users thanked this post: Newbee

Offline efmesch

• Gold Member
« Reply #11 on: July 01, 2017, 04:21:38 pm »
Great Going!  Sounds like you are a natural.

Be prepared to expect more invitations.   :yes: :yes: