Author Topic: "The Birds and the Bees Affair"  (Read 1666 times)

Offline The15thMember

• Traveler of the Multiverse, Seeker of Knowledge
"The Birds and the Bees Affair"
« on: June 16, 2022, 12:23:50 pm »
My sister and I watched an episode of Man from U.N.C.L.E. last night that had ACTUAL BEES in it!!  The plot was basically that there was a scientist who was trying to breed a "super bee" and T.H.R.U.S.H. enlisted him to weaponize the bees, which they were then putting in the ventilation systems at U.N.C.L.E. HQs around the world and killing all the agents.  It sounds tacky, but they really did a good job making it as realistic as possible.  Because using real bees for the attacks would have been impossible, they made it so that the super bees were really small and couldn't be seen on the camera.  It was actually pretty creative.  But the entomologist who was breeding the bees, as well as the chick of the week, who worked at a health food store that was selling honey and other bee products, both had a single frame observation hive that had real bees in it, and the entomologist was using real beekeeping equipment including a veil and a 10 frame deep with a migratory cover that had real frames with foundation in them!  Here's some clips from the episode.
I come from under the hill, and under the hills and over the hills my paths led.  And through the air, I am she that walks unseen.

Offline RAST

Re: "The Birds and the Bees Affair"
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2022, 07:42:37 am »
Neat. I may have seen the original (in black and white of course) as my dad was a fan along with his westerns.
The following users thanked this post: The15thMember

Offline The15thMember

« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2022, 10:02:14 am »
Neat. I may have seen the original (in black and white of course) as my dad was a fan along with his westerns.
Actually Man from U.N.C.L.E. was broadcast in color starting with its second season in 1965.  But lots of people didn't have color TVs yet, so you easily could have only ever seen it in black & white, depending on when you guys got your first color TV set. 
I come from under the hill, and under the hills and over the hills my paths led.  And through the air, I am she that walks unseen.

Offline Bakersdozen

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2022, 12:03:58 pm »
I remember watching this in beautiful B/W!  I like the scene where Illya Kuryakin says, "The honey has arrived."  With a young woman standing next to him and the honey.  Nothing suggestive there (said sarcastically).

Offline The15thMember

« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2022, 01:24:51 pm »
I remember watching this in beautiful B/W!  I like the scene where Illya Kuryakin says, "The honey has arrived."  With a young woman standing next to him and the honey.  Nothing suggestive there (said sarcastically).
:D  I was just glad Illya got a chick for once.  It's like a 4/1 ratio between him and Napoleon! 

Offline RAST

« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2022, 08:37:14 pm »
First color tv was when I got married and the wife says that's got to go. Its not broke I said to no avail.

Offline The15thMember

« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2022, 10:32:14 am »
First color tv was when I got married and the wife says that's got to go. Its not broke I said to no avail.
:laugh: