Author Topic: Urban Beekeeping ------ New Section ??  (Read 7529 times)

Offline Barbarian

Urban Beekeeping ------ New Section ??
« on: May 25, 2014, 02:26:31 am »
Would it be worth having a new section about urban beekeeping ??

Some possible topics in such a section  ------ Byelaws and Ordinancies, rooftop keeping, neighbours, wild urban colonies. community gardens and allotments  .......

I suppose I could be classed as being in an urban area. I wonder if we have some other urban members and whether such a section would encourage new members and guests.
" Another Owd Codger "

Offline bullsbees

• new to beekeeping and LOVE it
Re: Urban Beekeeping ------ New Section ??
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2014, 09:59:54 pm »
I am across the pond from you so to speak but I live in a small town and have a hive I just started in my back yard so I think this is a very interesting topic I have read that urban bees do better than the ones in the rural areas where the pesticides and chemicals from the crops harm them. I am new to beekeeping but the internet information is interesting I would like to know what is true and what is not tho!
Hi everyone new to beekeeping and the net as well so please bear with me! I am from IA and just started keeping bees a few weeks ago so any advice about this site or bees would be very much appreciated!!!!

Offline LazyBkpr

• Gold Member
  • www.outyard.net
    • The Outyard
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2014, 10:41:37 pm »
I would like to know what is true and what is not tho!

I am right there with ya!   Sometimes sifting the good information from the bad is not so easy..   Fortunately, the folks here on this forum are more about helping than they are about standing on a pedestal.  If you have a question, no matter how simple or complicated, ask it, and you will gain the benefit of experience from those who have already made most of the mistakes!    ;D
Drinking RUM before noon makes you a PIRATE not an alcoholic!

*Sponsor*

Offline apisbees

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2014, 12:55:12 am »
I second that Scott.
Honey Judge, Beekeeping Display Coordinator, Armstrong Fair and Rodeo.

Offline Bakersdozen

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2014, 08:53:27 pm »
I just saw this thread.  I think it would make an interesting topic as I am an urban beekeeper.  I can see threads with ideas about camouflaging hives, nosy neighbors, foraging questions and so forth.

Offline pistolpete

« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2014, 12:54:26 am »
I'm an urban bee keeper too, but I think that the last thing this forum needs is more sub sections.   How about just an urban bee keeping thread? 
My advice: worth price charged :)

Offline efmesch

• Gold Member
« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2014, 12:08:09 pm »
Probably one of the big issues worthy of advice in urban beekeeping is "How to keep the bees unnoticed"---especially when removing honey from the hives, a time when they tend to get a bit antagonistic and can arouse the anger of effected neighbors.  :eusa_think:

Offline apisbees

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2014, 12:44:02 pm »
Efmech makes a good point, The best way is to remove most of the supers while there is still a flow on and the bees will to busy to care and will continue on foraging. the other time of the year is the first warm day in spring then the first cleansing flights are taken. they can make a mess of the neighbors car and fresh hung laundry. I have no solution for the 2nd except maybe buying a car wash or 2 for the close neighbors.

Offline riverbee

• Gold Member
  • ***Forum Sponsor***
« Reply #8 on: July 23, 2014, 01:03:48 pm »
"I have read that urban bees do better than the ones in the rural areas where the pesticides and chemicals from the crops harm them. I am new to beekeeping but the internet information is interesting I would like to know what is true and what is not tho!"

bullsbees, this is not true. if you think your urban bees are pesticide and chemical free more so than rural areas, think about what you or your neighbors are using on lawns, trees, perennials, annuals, gardens, etc..... there is as much chemical use in urban areas as rural areas, minus what is used for row crops.

to the question of the thread barbarian, i will let iddee answer that, however i will 'echo' what pistolpete said, about adding more subsections to the forum.

i would just like to say, there are many similarities to urban and rural beekeeping, and many of us face additional challenges no matter where we keep our bees.  ;)
i keep wild things in a box..........™
if you obey the rules, you miss all the fun.....katherine hepburn
Forum Sponsor

Offline iddee

• Administrator
  • Gold Member
« Reply #9 on: July 23, 2014, 05:15:11 pm »
Iddee will not respond until all mods and admins have voiced their opinion, and any members who wish to have a word in it.

Thanks, Pete.
“Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me... Anything can happen, child. Anything can be.”
― Shel Silverstein

Offline LazyBkpr

• Gold Member
  • www.outyard.net
    • The Outyard
« Reply #10 on: July 23, 2014, 08:06:54 pm »

The advantage of bees in urban areas is usually during a dearth.. people water their gardens and flowers when natural plant are drying up, but as Mrs. River said..  it can also lead them to pesticides applied to gardens.  Seeing several hundred bees swirling around a McDonalds dumpster to get the spilled pop will set you back a step or two.

*Sponsor*

Offline bullsbees

• new to beekeeping and LOVE it
« Reply #11 on: July 24, 2014, 12:09:40 am »
thanks riverbee that makes sense and pry should have thought of that myself and keeping them low profile is of great importance as well. I just read the net a lot before I got on to this site so picking apart what is factual and what is not and all of you help thank you
Hi everyone new to beekeeping and the net as well so please bear with me! I am from IA and just started keeping bees a few weeks ago so any advice about this site or bees would be very much appreciated!!!!

Offline riverbee

• Gold Member
  • ***Forum Sponsor***
« Reply #12 on: July 24, 2014, 01:37:30 am »
you are welcome bullsbees.  all you have to do here is ask, and we will do our best to help you sort out facts and fiction. 

to the topic of the thread, i have already voiced my thoughts and agree with what pete said.  :)
i keep wild things in a box..........™
if you obey the rules, you miss all the fun.....katherine hepburn
Forum Sponsor

Offline Bakersdozen

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
« Reply #13 on: July 24, 2014, 07:43:12 am »
I just read the net a lot before I got on to this site so picking apart what is factual and what is not and all of you help thank you
Unfortunately, anyone can put anything they want on the internet.  It doesn't mean it's true.  It may also be true in the writer's location, but not true in yours.  A local bee club will help you sort out fact from fiction.

Offline apisbees

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
« Reply #14 on: July 24, 2014, 07:55:19 am »

The advantage of bees in urban areas is usually during a dearth.. people water their gardens and flowers when natural plant are drying up,
To add to what Scott said. Was well as this also the variety pf plants the bees have access too, with the variety in gardens flowerbeds flowering trees there is a more varied diet for the bee and less time when little food is available for the bees.
Also the density of hives competing for the available forage, in the urban environment a person will have a few hives in the back yard. In the country where crop fields are relied on for forage, the number of hives per yard is increased which places greater demand on the available forage that is available to the bees when the main field crops are not in bloom. In the rural environment it is a lot of times, famine or fest followed by famine again for the bees.

Offline Barbarian

« Reply #15 on: July 25, 2014, 12:44:37 am »
This is a new forum. The number of members is growing steadily.

I made my suggestion, if taken up, so that the guesting keeps from the (growing ?) number of urban beekeepers might be tempted to join.

I scanned through my original post and the subsequent posts. There seem to be about 9 thread subjects that could be posted on a new section.

I won't get upset if Iddee decides against.   I won't take my bat home.     ;D

" Another Owd Codger "

Offline apisbees

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
« Reply #16 on: July 25, 2014, 01:09:00 am »
There are quiet a few web sites and organizations that are dedicated to urban beekeeping. It seems to be the newest go to urban project. It fits in with the other popular Urban trend of community gardens, and natural wild flower meadow plantings instead of lawns. I think it is a good idea, it may get posts to show in Google search it urban beekeeping is typed into a search engine.

Offline LazyBkpr

• Gold Member
  • www.outyard.net
    • The Outyard
« Reply #17 on: July 25, 2014, 08:50:20 am »
Urban...    Of or belonging to a city or town;
   I guess I would fit that description/definition to the point that my bees make it to town..   Not sure how "Urban" a town of 400 to 500 is though.   When I hear Urban I think of BIG city outskirts and suburbs..  Those places where the morning traffic goes 70 to 80 mph in a RACE to get to work on time on a 55 mph six lane road.. darting under over passes and around corners while drivers maneuver for position to get to the fastest lane or...   OMG! MY EXIT!!!!

*Sponsor*

Offline efmesch

• Gold Member
« Reply #18 on: July 25, 2014, 09:01:37 am »
Urban...    Of or belonging to a city or town;
  ....   When I hear Urban I think of BIG city outskirts and suburbs..  Those places where the morning traffic goes 70 to 80 mph in a RACE to get to work on time on a 55 mph six lane road.. darting under over passes and around corners while drivers maneuver for position to get to the fastest lane or... 

And smashing bees on their windshields as they race past low-fliers, peacefully looking for a nectar source to bring  home. :o

Offline Barbarian

« Reply #19 on: July 25, 2014, 06:18:45 pm »
There could be a hole in market.

I've checked a couple of other beekeeping forums that I view. They each have slightly more sections than worldwide. Neither has an 'Urban' section.

It might be worth checking this with some of the other forums.
" Another Owd Codger "