Author Topic: Smoker cleaning  (Read 1656 times)

Offline Curtchann

Smoker cleaning
« on: July 13, 2019, 12:03:04 am »
What works best to clean the tar like substance that builds up on your smokers. Mostly it builds up around the cap area. Whenclosing the cap it is very hard to get back open. Broke a new smoker that I need to repaired because of this.

Offline iddee

• Administrator
  • Gold Member
Re: Smoker cleaning
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2019, 05:53:33 am »
I scrape it with my hive tool or pocket knife. If it isn't brittle, I use a propane torch to burn it and make it brittle enough to chip away.
“Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me... Anything can happen, child. Anything can be.”
― Shel Silverstein

Offline Bakersdozen

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2019, 07:51:17 am »
Good question, Curtchann.  I have noticed a build up in my favorite smoker lately.  I would hate to damage mine.

Offline Some Day

« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2019, 09:22:14 am »
I use this 100,000 BTU weed burner to burn the crud out of my smoker, then scrape with a hive tool.

I also toast my hive tools with it to sterilize them.  I am going to mention you will want to let your hive tool cool before grabbing it.

You can also start your smoker real quick with it.

If you need to start a bon fire this is the ticket.

If you have ever wanted to use a flame thrower on small hive beetle or wax moth larva here is your ticket.

Red Dragon VT 2-23 C Weed Dragon 100,000-BTU Propane Vapor Torch Kit from Amazon.

Offline treeman4646

« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2019, 08:08:17 am »
My smoker builds up the creosote as well. The lids sticks too. I just use my propane torch (I use for lighting the smoker) pass it around the cover a bit and the heat loosens the lid easily.
For cleaning (that I don't do often) I just burn off the creosote with the torch as well. Scrape off the soot and I'm ready to go.