Author Topic: Inexpensive honey extractors.  (Read 10171 times)

Offline apisbees

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
Inexpensive honey extractors.
« on: February 17, 2016, 12:19:20 am »
Was looking through E-bay and came across these extractors they are off shore but for the price... I think it is a better solution than destroying comb doing crush and strain. and having the bees build new comb. There is a size and style to meet the requirements of any hobby beekeeper with 10 hives or under.
http://stores.ebay.com/technology-etrade/?_dmd=1&_nkw=HONEY%20EXTRACTOR
Honey Judge, Beekeeping Display Coordinator, Armstrong Fair and Rodeo.
The following users thanked this post: Newbee

Online Bakersdozen

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
Re: Inexpensive honey extractors.
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2016, 08:19:29 am »
Good find, apisbees.  I completely agree with your position on crush and strain.  That comb is money in the bank.
I have a Chinese 3 frame, drum style that is very similar to the 2 frame listed there for under $100.  It works fine for me.  I have had a 2 stainless steel rods fall out which hasn't effected much.  Also, there is some sharp edges inside and one has to be careful not to get cut.  The centrifuge rotates on one single, very small ball bearing!  I purchased several more just in case that one gets lost.  For the price paid, it works for me.

Offline riverbee

• Gold Member
  • ***Forum Sponsor***
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2016, 11:13:31 am »
" I think it is a better solution than destroying comb doing crush and strain. and having the bees build new comb."

:yes:, i agree as well, extractors are worth the investment.  good find keith, also, most of the bee suppliers do carry inexpensive extractors for under 500 bucks.  some suppliers will sometimes also have used equipment, just ask.  also, check on craigslist, estate sales, auctions, etc, never know what you can come up with!  lots of folks get into beekeeping and find it's not all what they thought, and sell everything off.
i keep wild things in a box..........™
if you obey the rules, you miss all the fun.....katherine hepburn
Forum Sponsor

Offline lazy shooter

• Gold Member
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2016, 02:08:04 pm »
There was a fellow near Bryan, Texas that sold dented freight for many years.  You never knew what he had, but man on man, there some serious bargains at times.  I once bought a 24 foot Frigidaire refrigerator from him for less than 200 bucks.  The front door was severely dented.  My friend a local body shop smoother it out and repainted it for 50 bucks.  Even in those days it was less than half price.  But once the insurance pays off, such items are sold at deep discounts.  He is long out of business, but I wonder if there are other such places, and if so, might they occasionally receive a damaged extractor.  Probably not.

Extractors are seldom used.  Most beekeepers, the hobby crowd, probably won't use their extractors more 30 or 40 hours per year.  A cheap one will last a long time.  The extractor is not put to use like a car, lawn mower or tractor.  "A little will go a long way." 

I bought a Maxant 3100P, and it was not cheap.  But I am old and am humoring myself for getting old.  Were I much younger, like most beekeepers, and still had lots of working life and retirement worries ahead I would buy cheap from a reputable supplier like Mann Lake or Dadant or such.  I would start with a crank model that could be converted to electric.  You're not going to use it much.  Hmmmm,  maybe I hear buyer's remorse. 

Online Bakersdozen

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2016, 10:43:12 am »
Good points, Lazy! 
Here in the Kansas City area, we have several reclaimed salvage dealers.  For the hobbyist beekeeper, starting small and inexpensive is a good way to start.  Not everyone is located near an extractor they can rent.  I think my club charges $30 to rent the club's extractor.  If that is the case, my extractor has already paid for it's self.  Yes, Lazy shooter, extractors set on the shelf a long time in between uses.

Offline riverbee

• Gold Member
  • ***Forum Sponsor***
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2016, 12:36:23 pm »
i have never really considered keeping bees a hobby, it's a great deal of work sometimes especially when it comes time to take the honey off!  i have never kept much more than 10 or 12 hives, now i am going to keep to about 5 or 6 i think.  even so, whether it be 10 or 30 supers filled, it takes about 3 or 4 days to take the honey off, and extract from start to finish, set up and cleanup, and the extractor and me get a work out............. ;D
my advice to anyone on extractors, buy the best you can, you won't regret it, and also buy for the future, or just buy for your needs.  do you plan on expanding? if so the extractor will make life easier.

"I bought a Maxant 3100P, and it was not cheap.  But I am old and am humoring myself for getting old."

lazy my friend, when you are done humoring yourself with that maxant 3100p, you can send that baby up to me so i can humor myself with it for awhile!............... :D :D :laugh:
Forum Sponsor

Offline Zweefer

• Administrator
  • Gold Member
« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2016, 05:41:20 pm »
I would agree I have more than I need at the moment, but will grow into it within the next year or so.... Speaking of, did you have that many losses Riverbee, or are you looking for a local keep to take some of those colonies off your hands (hint, hint) :D
Keeping of bees is like the direction of sunbeams.
Henry David Thoreau

Offline riverbee

• Gold Member
  • ***Forum Sponsor***
« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2016, 07:02:43 pm »
...................... :D :D :D

i tell ya zweef, no losses on the 5 i have now, but we all know how that can change............so far so good.  divides are gonna have me scrambling i think, but i will see. if so, guess who can have some free bees?!  i say i want to stick to 5 or 6, but in all honesty i am a bee junkie............ :D :D :D
Forum Sponsor

Offline Perry

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
    • Brandt's Bees
« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2016, 07:21:02 pm »
i want to stick to 5 or 6

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Yea right, let me know how that works out for you. ;)
"It is not the man who has too little, but the man who craves more, that is poor."      
Forum Supporter

Offline Zweefer

• Administrator
  • Gold Member
« Reply #9 on: February 18, 2016, 07:32:49 pm »
Offer of help was a standing one :yes:
Henry David Thoreau

Offline lazy shooter

• Gold Member
« Reply #10 on: February 18, 2016, 07:41:44 pm »
Zweefer is always wanting to help.  Gee, I wish he lived closer.

Offline riverbee

• Gold Member
  • ***Forum Sponsor***
« Reply #11 on: February 18, 2016, 07:53:42 pm »
zweef, i know!  THANK YOU, THANK YOU!

perry wanna bet?!.............LOL, no i don't think i'd better, cuz i think i would probably lose ................. :D :D :D
Forum Sponsor

Offline Zweefer

• Administrator
  • Gold Member
« Reply #12 on: February 20, 2016, 04:41:01 pm »
Lazy - I will always offer to help others with bees.  I can think of no better way to learn.  Sometimes it's learning what to do, other times it's what not to do, and at the very least it is time with the bees :yes:
Henry David Thoreau

Offline tecumseh

« Reply #13 on: February 24, 2016, 06:55:46 am »
not big enough.  as everyone knows in Texas bigger is better and to run for political office you need 'good hair'.

Offline DavidD

« Reply #14 on: February 29, 2016, 11:49:09 am »
Thanks apisbees
  I have not run across them yet. better than plastic :yes:

Offline gtrr4

« Reply #15 on: March 14, 2016, 10:20:22 am »
I have found a Maxant 3100p that is a few years old and only used a handful of times.  I do have a question if anyone is familiar with it.  In the website picture, you see the medium frames clubbed together in a set.  This is supposed to spin these radially, will it extract from both sides?  Or do they have to be turned like you do with a Tangent style?  Here is a picture of it for sale with a nicely built stand.

Jason

Offline iddee

• Administrator
  • Gold Member
« Reply #16 on: March 14, 2016, 11:02:27 am »
All radials spin both sides at the same time. No turning needed.
“Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me... Anything can happen, child. Anything can be.”
― Shel Silverstein

Offline gtrr4

« Reply #17 on: March 14, 2016, 11:49:56 am »
I am just curious how well it works with the frames so close together, that is my only question/concern.

Offline iddee

• Administrator
  • Gold Member
« Reply #18 on: March 14, 2016, 12:10:14 pm »
Those frames are not in there properly. They all go with the top bar toward the outer container and the bottom bar toward the center.
“Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me... Anything can happen, child. Anything can be.”
― Shel Silverstein

Offline Perry

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
    • Brandt's Bees
« Reply #19 on: March 14, 2016, 12:22:27 pm »
Iddee, I think that is the way Maxant set that particular extractor up, it shows the exact same set-up on their website. I don't know how well those two frames that close together would spin out properly, but that's what they show. ???
"It is not the man who has too little, but the man who craves more, that is poor."      
Forum Supporter