Author Topic: Suggestions to calm nervous children  (Read 7796 times)

Offline Newbee

Suggestions to calm nervous children
« on: February 23, 2015, 04:22:41 pm »
So I've started looking into keeping a hive or two in my backyard, and my kids (daughter especially) are understandably nervous. They're still young, 8, 10, and 12 this year, so the thought alone is what scares them. I've brought up the idea, and my daughter has already asked that I not start keeping hives…. I suspect she'll be OK (always has been a bit of a drama queen), but rather than stomp on her feelings, I'd like to ease her mind and have her feel more comfortable with the idea (before Dad start's building those funny looking boxes out in the garage..)
We've had ground-bee's on our property before, none of the kids got stung, but they were told to steer clear of that spot in the yard, and did fine. I've explained this will be the same, and plan on keeping them out-of-the-way anyways. There is some structure/stuff nearby, so they should elevate upon leaving the hive and not cross paths with the kids too often.
Thanks for your thoughts and suggestions.

- K

Offline iddee

• Administrator
  • Gold Member
Re: Suggestions to calm nervous children
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2015, 04:30:10 pm »
Sounds like a visit to a local Apiary is in order as soon as the weather will allow.
“Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me... Anything can happen, child. Anything can be.”
― Shel Silverstein

Offline Jen

• Platinum Member
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2015, 04:48:35 pm »
I'll tell ya a story Newbee about my 2 year old grandson. We had G for the weekend. He was cautious about going to the side of the yard where my three hives are. But he and I would stand and stare at the bees coming and going, and I would tell him to listen for the hum and buzz of the bees. He was okay with the bees but wasn't curious to go closer. The phone rang and I went in to get the phone and then came back outside to watch G. In just that amount of time he went and turned on the hose full blast and let it loose on the hives.

Well needless to say.. I Freaked Out! Thinking that the bees were going to come after the boy with the hose...

But alas, nothing happened.... more bees came out but they stayed close to the hive and were looking right and left and up and down,
like "What The Heck Was THAT All About?" and then they went back into hive.

Not only that, but when our grands are staying over, we have other kids that come and play in our backyard as well, the bees don't seem to care and neither do the kids  :)
There Is Peace In The Queendom

Offline Perry

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
    • Brandt's Bees
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2015, 05:07:05 pm »
I bet that if you look around in your area you will find an observation hive set up. We have one in Halifax at the Museum of Natural History, that is year round. It is a huge hit with the kids, and lets them get used to the idea.
"It is not the man who has too little, but the man who craves more, that is poor."      
Forum Supporter

Offline LazyBkpr

• Gold Member
  • www.outyard.net
    • The Outyard
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2015, 07:36:31 pm »
I have found, that offering to get a bee suit for them changes the fear to excitement..
   "My own bee suit?  Really?"
   The big thing, is information and knowledge. The observation hive perry mentioned, may well get them asking questions on their own.
Drinking RUM before noon makes you a PIRATE not an alcoholic!

*Sponsor*

Ray

« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2015, 08:51:49 pm »
Try YouTube, watching (repetitively) people messing with bees should help calm there fears. It did mine!

Offline riverbee

• Gold Member
  • ***Forum Sponsor***
« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2015, 11:43:05 pm »
engage them, teach them. don't push. have them help you build and paint equipment, put frames together with foundation,  and teach them what those pieces of equipment are for and how bees 'live', gathering pollen and nectar, building comb, and harvesting honey and wax, teach them about the queen,  etc..... and,  when and why bees are most likely to sting when they ask.  have them light a smoker, let them handle it, light it. give them a hive tool, how do we use a hive tool, etc......as scott mentioned their own bee suit.

kids have very curious minds even when they are afraid. teach them. be patient.

a visit to an apiary, or a visit where there is an observation hive,  :yes:

i keep wild things in a box..........™
if you obey the rules, you miss all the fun.....katherine hepburn
Forum Sponsor

Offline kingd

« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2015, 06:05:24 am »
I agree on the bee suit, They tend to feel invincible in the armor. ;)

It worked for my niece

Offline Newbee

« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2015, 04:24:54 pm »
Thanks for all the great suggestions. There is an observation hive in the area that someone from the local apiary society tends, which they have seen… but frankly I think it's kinda creepy looking to them, even behind plexi-glass.  :laugh:
I was planning on having my oldest (12 this year), help me make the stuff. He needs to learn some woodworking skills, and I was told last night there's a Boy Scout Merit Badge he can earn, too. My daughter can probably do something similar in her Girlscout troop. That was actually one thing I thought would be neat to do once more established - involve my kids' scout troops.

I was hoping to avoid the cost of kid's suits, but I hear ya - invincible armor!

It's funny, they all get quite the chuckle as we finally learned how bee's make honey (was reading in one of the library books I got): BEE BARF!
Hey Dad, Pass the Bee Barf?
Can I have Waffle's and Bee Barf for Breakfast?
…. Yes, 2 boys, but even my daughter gets in on the fun.

Thanks again for the suggestions.

- K

Offline Bakersdozen

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
« Reply #9 on: March 22, 2015, 10:43:50 pm »
I was just asked this question tonight.  The only thing that came to my mind was to catch a drone and let the child hold it.  I don't know if that was the right question or not.  Now that I have re-read this thread, I am going to pass on some of these ideas.

Offline rrog13

« Reply #10 on: March 23, 2015, 07:42:24 am »
I built a water fountain for the bees in our backyard.  It’s about 200 yards away from the bee yard. During the summer there’s a steady stream of bee traffic to it.  We’ve had several big get togethers here with up to 200 people.  I’ve never had anyone get stung over there and it really gives people an opportunity to get up close and watch them.   Without the fear of being in “the bee yard”.  :)

Offline efmesch

• Gold Member
« Reply #11 on: March 23, 2015, 01:27:42 pm »
People can learn about bees being docile when not defending their hive by experiencing them as they collect nectar or pollen.  On many occasions I have shown "frightened of bees" people how I can calmly "pet" a bee on it's thorax while it is busy in a flower.  Depending on how gentle I am, the bee will either ignore me or fly away to another blossom.  I have never received a sting nor a threat from a bee so bothered while attending to its business.
You can show children (or anyone fearful of bees) how this is done. It serves to relieve a lot of worrying from those who think that any contact between man and bee ends with a sting.

Offline CpnObvious

• My Photobucket Bee Album
« Reply #12 on: March 26, 2015, 11:28:10 pm »
This all sounds like great advice.  In regards to the BSA Merit Badge... Unfortunately, it was discontinued in the mid-90s.

Best of luck in your endeavor and welcome to the forum!