Author Topic: Pollen is now second fiddle....  (Read 1687 times)

Offline Nugget Shooter

• Nugget Shooter
Pollen is now second fiddle....
« on: March 30, 2017, 12:21:57 pm »
Well here in Arizona the Mesquite flow has started and this being only my second season and first spring flow I am amazed at how busy the colonies have become growing and foraging like there is no tomorrow. For the last few weeks they were bringing in about equal amounts of pollen and nectar, but now only one in 5 or 6 foragers are bringing back any pollen and instead are coming in loaded with nectar. Some are so weighed down it takes 3 tries to make the entrance after falling to the ground below.

Also Drones and lots of them showing up returning I assume in the afternoons at all 6 hives and a good number, like perhaps 5% to 10% of late afternoon traffic... Huge numbers at the larger colonies of orienting bees in the afternoons as well... WOW what a show  :yes:

Some of our medium supers above the deeps are now being drawn and filled at a amazing rate and I am guessing I should be checking often? Like weekly or?

Cheers, Bill

Offline Jen

• Platinum Member
Re: Pollen is now second fiddle....
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2017, 02:21:30 pm »
You got your hands full this season Nug! I knew it when I saw those blooming desert photos.

I would like to know what a bee looks like loaded up with nectar.. They all look the same to me.. must be a picture comparison somewhere.
There Is Peace In The Queendom

Offline Perry

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
    • Brandt's Bees
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2017, 02:38:01 pm »
During a strong flow bees can fill a medium super in a couple of days. Don't forget they also need extra room to spread out all the nectar to be able to dehydrate it down before capping it.
"It is not the man who has too little, but the man who craves more, that is poor."      
Forum Supporter

Offline Nugget Shooter

• Nugget Shooter
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2017, 03:18:08 pm »
Hi Jen, they just appear bloated like after a big dinner and some beer for me  :laugh: But I can tell because their abdomen is stretched out full and tight, for lack of a better term.

Wow Perry then I better pay close attention and have a look inside the honey supers way more often than usual, thanks for the heads up....
Cheers, Bill