Author Topic: New Nosema Treatment?  (Read 3729 times)

Offline neillsayers

• Gold Member
New Nosema Treatment?
« on: January 10, 2019, 07:57:27 pm »
Neill Sayers
Herbhome Bees
USDA Zone 7a

Offline Lburou

• Gold Member
Re: New Nosema Treatment?
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2019, 09:46:17 pm »
It warms my heart to hear these students are on the cusp of research in an area of need for our honeybees.   :yes:

I hope it works! 
Lee_Burough

Offline Jen

• Platinum Member
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2019, 01:15:08 am »
Agreed Lee, it's the future generations with the science degrees that are going to help get the bees back on track. Nice article Neil
There Is Peace In The Queendom

Offline tecumseh

« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2019, 06:58:15 am »
thanks for sharing the link... good to see the young folks solving problems..... I should mention here that fumigil was never a good remedy for nosema C.... at best it was (based on a limit number of hives I had here) a temporary patch over a serious problem< basically you could treat but as soon as you discontinued the treatment nosema c. would reappear....

How the world works... which is quite often quite opposite from what we think.  in discussing various inventions in the early days of the Silicon Valley with my father in law (for some reason I find these sorts of industrial grade stories quite interesting and often revealing) the case of making a discovery and then after the fact finding a purpose of product is quite often exactly how things work... < at one time he told me a story of 12 very sharp guys (one of whom was David Packard of HP fame) all setting around a table and watching the prototype for the guts of a bar code scanner and after considerable head scratching no one could figure out what the device could ever be use for.  The company put the device and the patent back on the shelf and at some point very much later sold the patent.

Offline neillsayers

• Gold Member
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2019, 08:03:43 pm »
thanks for sharing the link... good to see the young folks solving problems..... I should mention here that fumigil was never a good remedy for nosema C.... at best it was (based on a limit number of hives I had here) a temporary patch over a serious problem< basically you could treat but as soon as you discontinued the treatment nosema c. would reappear....
Dr. Bromenshenk at Montana found a combinative action of n.ceranae and an iridovirus to have a devestating affect on colonies-possibly CCD. This work will be good news as n.ceranae is becoming more widespread. Good for them!
How the world works... which is quite often quite opposite from what we think.  in discussing various inventions in the early days of the Silicon Valley with my father in law (for some reason I find these sorts of industrial grade stories quite interesting and often revealing) the case of making a discovery and then after the fact finding a purpose of product is quite often exactly how things work... < at one time he told me a story of 12 very sharp guys (one of whom was David Packard of HP fame) all setting around a table and watching the prototype for the guts of a bar code scanner and after considerable head scratching no one could figure out what the device could ever be use for.  The company put the device and the patent back on the shelf and at some point very much later sold the patent.
:D In my career i worked with many engineers. You nailed it. They'd design something then start listing all the advantages the new design had over the old, when previously no one was aware of the previous design's insufficiencies. :)
Neill Sayers
Herbhome Bees
USDA Zone 7a

Offline rober

• Gold Member
« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2019, 09:27:41 am »
nosevit has been around for a few years. I bought some but never used it. when it 1st came out they were hailing it as a treatment for Nosema. looking at several sites that sell it looks like they are now hawking it as a gut treatment.
http://completebee.com/html/nozevit.html

a tech at the usda lab told me that when they treated with fumagillin Nosema counts dropped noticeably but within weeks the counts rebounded & the counts were higher than the original numbers.
The following users thanked this post: Lburou

Offline neillsayers

• Gold Member
« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2019, 02:52:42 pm »
a tech at the usda lab told me that when they treated with fumagillin Nosema counts dropped noticeably but within weeks the counts rebounded & the counts were higher than the original numbers.

This is really good info! Thanks Rober. I wonder if now that the manufacturer of fumagillan has stopped production if someone else will pick it up?
Neill Sayers
Herbhome Bees
USDA Zone 7a

Offline CBT

• Gold Member
  • Age gets better with wine
« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2019, 09:15:23 pm »
I have had very good improvement using probiotics. Studies are on going for nosema from strong microbials. Helps restore gut health and rid viruses and other pathogens. Use in the spring and after mite treatments then just before winter bees are born.

Offline neillsayers

• Gold Member
« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2019, 10:30:32 pm »
I have had very good improvement using probiotics. Studies are on going for nosema from strong microbials. Helps restore gut health and rid viruses and other pathogens. Use in the spring and after mite treatments then just before winter bees are born.

Do you feed this mixed in sugar syrup?

Also where do I find some?
Neill Sayers
Herbhome Bees
USDA Zone 7a

Offline CBT

• Gold Member
  • Age gets better with wine
« Reply #9 on: January 24, 2019, 08:39:01 pm »
You can get it at midnightbeesupply.com  Super DFM  10, 100, 500 gram or more. Keeps longtime cold.
It is fed dry 1 tablespoon sprinkled on the top bars over the brood.
After it is eaten it activates in the bee gut in a non oxygen atmosphere and helps purge it of viruses and other pathogens.

That was a shameless plug. You can find it at most full line beekeepers supply dealers.  ;D
The following users thanked this post: neillsayers

Offline rober

• Gold Member
« Reply #10 on: February 11, 2019, 09:31:13 am »
at the annual emba beekeeping workshop it was stated that fumagillin lost or let it's U.S. approval expire but is getting it reinstated & will be back in the U.S. mkt. next year.