Beekeeping > Swarms, Cut Outs, Trap Outs and Bee Trees

a swarm and lesson learned

(1/4) > >>

neillsayers:
I was in all my hives a few days ago to add supers. I just looked at a few frames each to determine eggs and capped brood and moved on. The frames I looked at didn't have any swarm cells.

Well...Looked out the window about 2 hours ago and there was a swarm up a tree in my front yard! Rushed to gather up a nuc, old comb, pole pruner etc. I got about 2/3s of the bees by cutting off the limb they were on, which was bout 20 feet off the ground. Don't know if I got the queen but they seem like they are staying put. The other third moved to another limb, which I promply cut off. Then they flew around and gathered on another limb. Repeat. After clearing all the limbs down to the trunk they gathered on the trunk. I'm not cutting my tree down for them so I left the box out to see if they find their way into it by tomorrow morning. Hoping! If they move on, it's a lesson learned in checking every frame for swarm cells this time of year. :)

right before closing up

Wandering Man:
Good luck!

neillsayers:
Here's a vid Sweet Wife took from the porch.

neillsayers:

--- Quote from: Wandering Man on April 17, 2019, 06:52:30 pm ---Good luck!

--- End quote ---

I hope! :)  About a 1/3 of them are still glued to the trunk of that tree. Supposed to rain tonight. If they're still there in the morning maybe I'll try something else.

Lburou:
An artful performance Neil!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version