Author Topic: Where do I start?  (Read 6981 times)

Offline Perry

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
    • Brandt's Bees
Where do I start?
« on: February 03, 2015, 07:52:40 am »
This has to be a joke right? So why am I not laughing?

"It is not the man who has too little, but the man who craves more, that is poor."      
Forum Supporter

Offline Michelle

Re: Where do I start?
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2015, 08:05:20 am »
I bet the fondant delivery isn't getting through today either! Lots of that white stuff here too! :(
“One can no more approach people without love than one can approach bees without care. Such is the quality of bees...”
― Leo Tolstoy

Offline LazyBkpr

• Gold Member
  • www.outyard.net
    • The Outyard
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2015, 08:10:28 am »
wow...  Glad we dont get as much snow as you do.. ten inches and lots of wind have 4 and 5 foot drifts around my house and buildings..   Just have to shovel a path through them and I'm back to bare ground on the other side...   Dont envy anyone that gets that much snow.
   Good grief Perry.. you should move south for the winter. Come to Iowa where the snow is measured in inches instead of yards!
Drinking RUM before noon makes you a PIRATE not an alcoholic!

*Sponsor*

Offline Ray4852

« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2015, 08:13:03 am »
This last storm dumped 14 inches with a grand total of 3 ft on the ground now with more coming tonight. You should have no problem cleaning it up. I use a 52 inch blower on the back of my tractor to blow the snow away. It took me two hours yesterday to clean out my 400ft driveway and around the house.

Offline Jen

• Platinum Member
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2015, 03:53:14 pm »
Yup! That's the kind of snow I grew up in. I know it well. Just 60 miles from where we live now. I don't miss that kind of snow  :no:
There Is Peace In The Queendom

Offline Perry

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
    • Brandt's Bees
« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2015, 05:29:03 pm »
We are supposed to get another foot plus on Thursday and I have no idea where I am going to put it, never mind the Town and it's roads.
"It is not the man who has too little, but the man who craves more, that is poor."      
Forum Supporter

Offline Jen

• Platinum Member
« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2015, 07:21:35 pm »
Hubby and I were raised in the same town I mentioned. We will always remember the winter of 1968/69. The snow was up higher than our windows, the clothes lines were buried, the entire town was out of electricity for 2 weeks. I remember the town with shovels full of snow flying high up into the air... and hopefully all the way over the burm of snow you just shoveled out yesterday. A good part of that kind of shoveling was turning around and picking up the snow that didn't make it over the burn. Lots of cuss words coming out of know where during that winter.
There Is Peace In The Queendom

Offline beehandler

« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2015, 12:11:00 pm »
somebody remind me again ......  what is snow ??????? :laugh:

Offline Perry

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
    • Brandt's Bees
« Reply #8 on: February 05, 2015, 01:02:49 pm »

Ooooh , now that's not nice! Reminds me of something Jack or Iddee would say! ;D
Forum Supporter

Offline LazyBkpr

• Gold Member
  • www.outyard.net
    • The Outyard
« Reply #9 on: February 05, 2015, 07:07:15 pm »

Ooooh , now that's not nice! Reminds me of something Jack or Iddee would say! ;D

Its that stuff we get up here instead of hurricanes..     There are similarities..  hurricane or snow, were both shoveling something!   ;D

*Sponsor*

Offline riverbee

• Gold Member
  • ***Forum Sponsor***
« Reply #10 on: February 05, 2015, 07:10:11 pm »
hmmm, what is snow?

it's the white stuff that comes down from the sky, that drifts and piles up all over everywhere. covers your grass, your driveway, your roof that has to be shoveled off some times, in deep piles, and your satellite dish. you use a great deal of non disney language to take care of it sometimes. it also makes you cranky when you have to shovel it off the deck, the driveway and the satellite dish, or makes you cranky if you've figured out how to get the snow blower up on the deck and managed to scrape the deck flooring a little with the blades, er, makes the spouse cranky............ :D

if you don't shovel the white stuff off the satellite dish, you WON'T be watching any tv.  also white stuff  causes accidents (especially with those who are under insured or have no insurance), traffic jams, traffic backups, or pulling someone out of the ditch if you own a 4 wheel drive to do so. tow ropes and chains are standard equipment.  sometimes the white stuff causes problems with getting to work or getting around if a snow plow hasn't come through and you don't own a 4 wheel drive vehicle and you are stuck in your own driveway.

oh, i forgot to mention the mail box, either the mail doesn't come, or you have to dig it out to open it.

with the white stuff usually comes deep freeze cold. things freeze up or freeze shut, pipes, vehicle doors, or can't even get the door open until the white stuff is shoveled away. water backups, can't use the washer or flush the toilet and it will make you cranky.... :D

okay, to take care of the white stuff, and doing all of the above requires 'heavy equipment' on. layers and under layers, and whatever, warm jacket/s, hats, gloves, hand warmers in your gloves and wherever and boots, and don't chince on the white stuff boots to keep your feet warm.   ;D
so by the time you get all this stuff on, plan on a twenty minute dressing session to get there before you get to work on the white stuff........ :D
then when you come in from taking care of the white business, you are even more cranky cuz there was some murphy's law thing going on, and too tired to take off all the gear you put on.

northern beeks, what did i miss?.............. :D :D :D

i keep wild things in a box..........™
if you obey the rules, you miss all the fun.....katherine hepburn
Forum Sponsor

Offline Perry

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
    • Brandt's Bees
« Reply #11 on: February 05, 2015, 07:16:27 pm »
My wife and I just got back in from walking the dog. About 4 to 5 inches already and still snowing. School got out early today because of the storm and my money is on it being closed again tomorrow as well. Kids have missed about a week of school just in the last month.
Forum Supporter

Offline tefer2

« Reply #12 on: February 05, 2015, 07:55:35 pm »
Wife just called, they finally plowed the road in front of the house. She asked, could I pick up the mail on the way home. She forgot to mention that the mailbox is in the next county.
Blasted by the famous "Snow Plow Guy"
He got about half dozen on our road today!  >:(

Offline riverbee

• Gold Member
  • ***Forum Sponsor***
« Reply #13 on: February 05, 2015, 08:00:50 pm »
when i was a young un' growing up in the country and going to school, there was no such thing as 'snow days'....................
Forum Sponsor

Offline Ray4852

« Reply #14 on: February 05, 2015, 08:58:56 pm »
 Whats a little snow. Good tractor and blower on the back end will blow most of it away. I get ready when the weather man forecast a little icing. Its been 25 years since we had a major ice storm here, I didn’t have any power for 3 weeks. Temps went down to -20. when you live in a rural area. The power company takes care of the populated areas first. We try to have at least a months food supply and plenty of gas to use the generator when I need it. I burn coal to keep the water hot in the boiler. You have to be ready when a ice storm hits. Most people get caught with their pants down. 

Offline brooksbeefarm

• Gold Member
« Reply #15 on: February 05, 2015, 11:10:28 pm »
Hey squirt, tie a rope around you and the other end to your house door if your going to dig your way to the mail box, ;D but even a Red Neck knows that if you have to dig the mail box out, THE MAILMAN probably hasn't put anything in it. :laugh: :laugh:. Ray, even a RED NECK wouldn't be caught with his pants down in that kind of weather ???. I'll have to go to town and buy ice Saturday to keep my beer cold, going to be 70F, and most of next week, in or close to 60F. O:-) Ahhh, Life is Good. Jack

Offline Ray4852

« Reply #16 on: February 05, 2015, 11:40:32 pm »
Jack,
  To early for that kind of weather. Next week its going to warm up here a little. Highs in the 20s and lows in the teens. More snow for the weekend.

Offline Slowmodem

• Gold Member
    • http://gregsbees.blogspot.com/
« Reply #17 on: February 05, 2015, 11:42:36 pm »
when i was a young un' growing up in the country and going to school, there was no such thing as 'snow days'....................

Used to walk barefooted in the snow to school uphill both ways!
Greg Whitehead
Ten Mile, TN
Beekeeping at 26.4 kbs

Offline efmesch

• Gold Member
« Reply #18 on: February 06, 2015, 03:28:29 am »
Our forecast for today is 29 C. (about 84 F). 
I wish I could share some that snow-melting potential with the rest of you. 
Saturday afternoon it's supposed to go back down to normal temps and next week we're to expect some nice rains.

Offline LazyBkpr

• Gold Member
  • www.outyard.net
    • The Outyard
« Reply #19 on: February 06, 2015, 07:44:57 am »

It looks like were in that dividng line between the COLD front coming down from Canada and the extra warmth behind it.. so basically its going to remain normal here, near freezing during the day, below freezing at night...   Hopefully some of this snow melts!

*Sponsor*

Offline riverbee

• Gold Member
  • ***Forum Sponsor***
« Reply #20 on: February 09, 2015, 11:05:14 pm »
" I'll have to go to town and buy ice Saturday to keep my beer cold"

well jack, we just throw ours out in the snow banks or keep it in a cooler on the deck i shoveled off............or, err, the deck i scraped with the snowblower blades............ :D
Forum Sponsor