Author Topic: Bee +  (Read 2590 times)

Offline Wandering Man

• Gold Member
    • Life Lessons from dogs, bees and others
Bee +
« on: August 10, 2022, 10:47:23 pm »
A friend that I'm trying to mentor tagged me on Facebook with this product:

https://vibrantvanesa.com/products/bee-mites-treatment-20-strips?fbclid=IwAR2DLRLSh7xW3NCDFW6YlKcswqVtipZMLR3eX53lffLjKOpWNmGKh5WSVhQ

Anyone hear of it?  I don't like that you really have to search to learn that the product is formic acid.  It seems to be cheap, but you have to apply the stuff five times over the course of 25 days.
Never argue with drunks or crazy people

Offline Jen

• Platinum Member
Re: Bee +
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2022, 12:40:53 am »
Hi Wman, it looks just like Apivar strips, but i'll betcha they are seconds and way past the expiration date. Wouldn't touch them with a ten foot pole. However Apivar is the one I would use other than oxalic acid.
There Is Peace In The Queendom

Offline Zweefer

• Administrator
  • Gold Member
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2022, 12:45:23 am »
“Quick and long lasting effect!” “Proven to kill up to 99% of mites with one application.” …”lasts up to six weeks and above”

Next section - each treatment must remain on brood box 5 days and takes 5 applications for a full treatment.

So for a full treatment it take 5 X the 99% effective applications mentioned in the section above?  And I’m curious if the six weeks counts the 4 that are needed for treatment?

They are nice enough to probed 3 1/2s to the product though!

Don’t mean to poo poo the product, but I do take issue with their advertising claims… so maybe I do mean to…

Keeping of bees is like the direction of sunbeams.
Henry David Thoreau

Offline Wandering Man

• Gold Member
    • Life Lessons from dogs, bees and others
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2022, 10:15:37 am »
My first impression was to question the legitimacy of the product.  It is a pop-up product on Facebook.  I agree with Zweefer: I "don't mean to poo poo the product, but I do take issue with their advertising claims ... so maybe I do mean to..."

I thought I'd check here to see if anyone on this site had a reason to sing it's praises and tell me I'm wrong.

Never argue with drunks or crazy people

Offline The15thMember

• Traveler of the Multiverse, Seeker of Knowledge
« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2022, 10:31:41 am »
I agree, this is highly suspect.  For example, I found this under the FAQ: "Formic acid does not cause any harm to bees."  This is simply NOT true, one of the hallmarks of formic is that it will kill any bees that are sick or weak.  After hearing from NOD Apiaries (the producer of MAQS and FormicPro) how difficult it was to create a product that was safe and easy to apply with formic at the active ingredient, I wouldn't trust any willy-nilly formic product.  And as Jen mentioned, why do they look exactly like Apivar, which is NOT formic acid, but Amitraz as the active ingredient?     
I come from under the hill, and under the hills and over the hills my paths led.  And through the air, I am she that walks unseen.
The following users thanked this post: Wandering Man