Author Topic: Early Queens  (Read 3494 times)

Offline Dunkel

Early Queens
« on: March 29, 2016, 11:31:32 pm »
I am itching to raise some.  Hives are booming and crowded.  I need to pull some and open things up.  Dandelions are blooming and hives are full of purple eye drones.  Forties and twenties this weekend in the forecast. I think after this next cold spell I will graft a round.  I don't know everything is so early, I love it but hate years like this.  What triggers you all queen rearing calendar?  I don't want to rush things but something has to give.

Offline Bee Commander

• Bee Commander
Re: Early Queens
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2016, 09:08:16 am »
Dunkel,

Spring was at least 2 weeks early here. I started seeing drone brood in my hives Feb 6th. I grafted earlier than I had planned with somewhat dismal results. The weather turned cold again as soon as I grafted. However, I think it had a lot to do with my cell builder. As the weather warms up my acceptance rates are much better. I have a feeling that I was ready for queen before my bees were. Funny how that works. Its hard to wait for the bees sometimes. I see my hives exploding early and I don't have enough queens to keep up. Now I'm hoping I have enough bees for all the queen cells I have.

Offline LazyBkpr

• Gold Member
  • www.outyard.net
    • The Outyard
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2016, 06:04:36 pm »
Trigger = Drones to mate the queens.
  And of course, weather decent enough to get into the hives. I will be starting to work hives and queens next week, and not a dandelion in sight yet..   
Drinking RUM before noon makes you a PIRATE not an alcoholic!

*Sponsor*

Offline Dunkel

« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2016, 10:28:38 pm »
I think I will too.  I maybe jumping the gun, but oh well. I probably need this weekend to get things together any way.

Offline brooksbeefarm

• Gold Member
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2016, 10:54:58 pm »
Lots of dandelions here, peaches, bradford pears, wild plum and redbud are in bloom and most of my hives are booming. Got 10 queens coming April 7th and i will also raise some myself. Spread fertilizer today on the hay fields and the smell of spring is in the air, but storms tonight :o. Jack

Offline apisbees

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2016, 11:27:59 pm »
Spread fertilizer today on the hay fields and the smell of spring is in the air, :o. Jack
Are you sure it is the smell of spring... Sounds like it could be $#!+ to me. : (,
Honey Judge, Beekeeping Display Coordinator, Armstrong Fair and Rodeo.

Offline brooksbeefarm

• Gold Member
« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2016, 10:22:05 am »
Good one Apis ;D, it was commercial fertilizer not like what perry, iddee, lazy, and others on here put out, i left you out because i might need some info sometime.  :laugh: :laugh: i only take deep breaths when the tractor is going into the wind :yes: Jack