Author Topic: How are your bees doing?  (Read 34773 times)

Offline iddee

• Administrator
  • Gold Member
Re: How are your bees doing?
« Reply #120 on: February 24, 2014, 06:40:06 pm »
Wherever, whatever, whenever. I didn't say how many frames of comb in the box. I did say ALL frames of foundation in a box. I use 10 frames in all 10 frame boxes, but others use differently. Supers or brood box, fill totally with foundation frames tightly together and however many frames of comb you want to use, always space them evenly. Some use eight frames in a 10 frame box. Put them tightly together and see what kind of mess you get.
“Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me... Anything can happen, child. Anything can be.”
― Shel Silverstein

Offline G3farms

• Bee Wrangler
  • Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
« Reply #121 on: February 24, 2014, 07:02:38 pm »
Well I have always put ten frames in a ten frame brood box pushed tightly together and get no mess.
Bees are bees and do as they please!

.... --- -   -... . . ...   .-- .. .-.. .-..   .... .- ...- .   -.-- --- ..-   ... - . .--. .--. .. -. --.   .- -. -..   ..-. . - -.-. .... .. -. --.   .-.. .. -.- .   -.-- --- ..- .-.   .... . .- -..   .. ...   --- -.   ..-. .. .-. .   .- -. -..   -.-- --- ..- .-.   .- ... ...   .. ...   -.-. .- - -.-. .... .. -. --.

Offline G3farms

• Bee Wrangler
  • Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
« Reply #122 on: February 24, 2014, 07:04:52 pm »
Maybe you meant nine frames in a ten frame box pushed tightly together making a mess, yes I agree with that.

.... --- -   -... . . ...   .-- .. .-.. .-..   .... .- ...- .   -.-- --- ..-   ... - . .--. .--. .. -. --.   .- -. -..   ..-. . - -.-. .... .. -. --.   .-.. .. -.- .   -.-- --- ..- .-.   .... . .- -..   .. ...   --- -.   ..-. .. .-. .   .- -. -..   -.-- --- ..- .-.   .- ... ...   .. ...   -.-. .- - -.-. .... .. -. --.

Offline iddee

• Administrator
  • Gold Member
« Reply #123 on: February 24, 2014, 07:15:27 pm »
And maybe you meant 10 frames in a 10 frame box is pushed together tightly when evenly spaced. Yeah, I agree with that.  :D
“Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me... Anything can happen, child. Anything can be.”
― Shel Silverstein

Offline Jen

• Platinum Member
« Reply #124 on: February 24, 2014, 07:32:38 pm »
I'm sooo Laughing!! I just love all of you guys ~

Riv- I'm so tempted to join the female bee brigade ~ still working it out in my head.

This is good education for me because I'm not educated about the box/frame thing.

G3  ""RB not to rehash the frame numbers again, but if you look at the box itself, it will only hold nine frames. She does not have a ten frame box with nine frames in it (or so it looks to me)""

At the ends of the frames, see where the "t" is? none of them are touching. Are the ends of the "t" supposed to be touching? Because if they are supposed to be touching, I'll bet in the beginning... I would have had enough room to insert a 10th frame.

There Is Peace In The Queendom

Offline G3farms

• Bee Wrangler
  • Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
« Reply #125 on: February 24, 2014, 08:01:11 pm »
Not sure I am qualified to answer frame number questions.  ;)

As said before, ask ten beekeepers the same question and get twelve different answers, and they could change depending on the weather and day of week.  :laugh:

Pushed tightly together, yes the "tees" or sides of the end bars are touching with the extra space divided up equally between the outside frames and the side of the box.

Spaced out evenly, no they do not touch.

Offline Garden Hive

« Reply #126 on: February 24, 2014, 08:06:21 pm »
It would appear that is the proper spacing....with bare foundation. Always push Bare Foundation tightly together. That way the comb is drawn out evenly. Once it is drawn then you can space out. I would say many space out just the honey supers by removing a frame, for deeper comb holds more honey and sometimes easier to uncap.
Hope this explains a little.

Offline barry42001

• Gold Member
« Reply #127 on: February 24, 2014, 08:16:50 pm »
even in a 10 frame hive when you push all the frames tightly together in the brood chambers  leaving equal spaces between the number one frame and the sidewall and the number 10 frame and the sidewall. I like that little bit of space created by pushing the frames together it gives you levering room to pry frames apart. in the honey supers I will initially draw 10 frames, and remove one of those frames and space 9 frames to get them to overdraw this cells out past the side rails making for easy uncapping.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: February 24, 2014, 08:17:31 pm by barry42001 »
"if a man is alone in the woods, and speaks and no woman is there to hear him. is he still wrong?

Offline Marbees

« Reply #128 on: February 24, 2014, 08:58:06 pm »
It would appear that is the proper spacing....with bare foundation. Always push Bare Foundation tightly together. That way the comb is drawn out evenly. Once it is drawn then you can space out. I would say many space out just the honey supers by removing a frame, for deeper comb holds more honey and sometimes easier to uncap.
Hope this explains a little.

Right on and BTW welcome to The Club :)
Bee Remarkable

Offline riverbee

• Gold Member
  • ***Forum Sponsor***
« Reply #129 on: February 24, 2014, 09:46:23 pm »
okay, i think there might be some confusion here for new beeks and for jen.  most beeks use 10 frames in a 10 frame langstroth.  some, like me, and commercial keeps choose to use 9 frames in a 10 frame langstroth.  the number of frames does not matter, it's what works for you.  having said that, whatever is used, 9 frames or 10 frames i will go back to what iddee said originally:

"And Iddee's way. Push a FULL box of frames of foundation tightly together. Space frames of comb evenly across the box.

jen, what you have is a standard 10 frame langstroth box.  whoever started you out, placed nine drawn frames in there, and yes looking at your photographs, if  you didn't have all the burr and brace comb and the drawing of comb from the uneven spacing you might have been able to get 10 frames in there in the beginning, maybe, but you won't get 10 frames in there now, unless you remove drawn frames and place foundation in.  how do i know this?  because i keep 9 frame brood boxes and know what a 9 frame brood box in a 10 frame deep looks like with the comb drawn out. 

let's say for example i want to run either a 9 frame or 10 frame brood box in a 10 frame lang and all i have is foundation. as iddee said those frames of foundation go in and are tightly pushed together.  as comb is drawn, space them accordingly or with 10 frames tight together.  because i use 9 frames, when 10 frames of foundation are drawn out, i remove one frame and space the 9 frames evenly in the hive body. if these 9 frames are not spaced evenly, one will get what is depicted in your photographs jen with all the burr and brace comb.  this is easily cleaned up, just take a sharp knife and cut the burr/brace comb down even with the wax on the rest of your frame, and then again, space evenly.

let's say i have 9 drawn frames like jen does, and i want to cycle out one or two frames of drawn comb and add foundation. i add one or two frames of foundation and space those frames evenly in the hive, but  i do not place frames of foundation together.  frames of foundation to be drawn will be placed between drawn frames, so that they are drawn out properly. 

hope i made sense to you jen, and anyone else?

and ps. i use 8 drawn frames in a medium honey super. same concept when starting with foundation as iddee said. as garden hive said, deeper comb and much easier to uncap

oh and one more ps, my apologies for the off topic reply, was just trying to clarify an answer to this and jen's photos.
i keep wild things in a box..........™
if you obey the rules, you miss all the fun.....katherine hepburn
Forum Sponsor

Offline Jen

• Platinum Member
« Reply #130 on: February 24, 2014, 10:37:57 pm »
Marbees ""Right on and BTW welcome to The Club""

What is BTW?

Offline iddee

• Administrator
  • Gold Member
« Reply #131 on: February 24, 2014, 10:53:09 pm »
BY THE WAY
― Shel Silverstein

Offline G3farms

• Bee Wrangler
  • Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
« Reply #132 on: February 24, 2014, 10:55:02 pm »
BTW

Because
Ten
Wins

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Offline brooksbeefarm

• Gold Member
« Reply #133 on: February 24, 2014, 11:20:45 pm »
Atta boy G3, that'll put the squirt on her toes. :laugh: :laugh: Jack

Offline Jen

• Platinum Member
« Reply #134 on: February 24, 2014, 11:33:18 pm »
G3- HA!
Because
Ten
Wins

So G- You use 10 frames in the brood box and 10 frames in the honey supers?

Offline G3farms

• Bee Wrangler
  • Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
« Reply #135 on: February 24, 2014, 11:56:18 pm »
Brood box....ten frames in ten frame box, pushed up tight, with the extra space divided on each side.

Honey supers..... ten and nine frames.

Wax and wood, no milk jug stuff.

Offline riverbee

• Gold Member
  • ***Forum Sponsor***
« Reply #136 on: February 25, 2014, 12:12:07 am »
Riv- I'm so tempted to join the female bee brigade ~ still working it out in my head.
might want to now...... just on the bee brigade myself........:D

milk jug stuff or not, it's really all the same, and jack you are really cruisin' for a bruisin', have to start picking on you again, hmmm how are those knees? :D..........oh better yet, still not far from missouri, milk jugs going in your hives, will have to hold perry back too  :D

okay so back to our regularly scheduled program on how are your bees doing...... :D :laugh: :D
i keep wild things in a box..........™
if you obey the rules, you miss all the fun.....katherine hepburn
Forum Sponsor

Offline Jen

• Platinum Member
« Reply #137 on: February 25, 2014, 01:08:08 am »
Riv- ""Riv- I'm so tempted to join the female bee brigade ~ still working it out in my head.
might want to now...... just on the bee brigade myself........""

Meaning that I like your theory of running one less frame. So far, ALL the men on this post want to run 10. Maybe they like it...mmm snug.  I could say something inappropriate here....  :-[ ;)

Because I don't know how many other females there are responding on our posts, I'm wondering how do they do their frames? So far, usually, I only see you and I discussing these deeper subjects.

The Female Bee Brigade might think completely different than the men. But how would we know if the other women don't chime in? ya know?

Let's see how much trouble this will stir up... hehehehe

Offline Jen

• Platinum Member
« Reply #138 on: February 25, 2014, 01:33:18 am »
G3 ""Wax and wood, no milk jug stuff.""

I'm with ya on this one  ;) 8)

Offline Jen

• Platinum Member
« Reply #139 on: February 25, 2014, 01:43:04 am »
Riv- ""how do i know this?  because i keep 9 frame brood boxes and know what a 9 frame brood box in a 10 frame deep looks like with the comb drawn out.""

I know we've discussed this before on an early thread and in pm as well. Reiterating

You keep both brood and honey supers 9 frames in a 10 frame lang?

I understand why with the honey supers. Would you be so kind as to explaining why to keep 9 in a brood box? I have two men in my realm that will need to understand this.

Thank you kindly  :) 8)