Author Topic: preposed label requirements..  (Read 3462 times)

Offline tecumseh

preposed label requirements..
« on: March 04, 2017, 05:51:30 am »
I am posting this for Alice B. from our student (and unofficial adopted daughter) Liz Walsh...

URGENT - they are slipping a legal change in honey labeling through and comment period ends March 6th.
Liz Walsh‎
to
Texas Master Beekeepers Association
Yesterday at 10:06am
Hi, the last time the government had a commentary period that affected our industry at this level (in my memory) was a proposal from the EPA about neonicotinoids. There was one comment from the Pollinator Stewardship Council about how it would affect our community, our industry, and our bees. However, there was a lot of upset afterwords in our community when the EPA let lots of people use neonics; they only did that because we didn't comment to say we didn't support neonic use.
If you don't comment officially by March 6th, then please do not comment or complain afterword if the result is not to your liking. Regardless of how you feel, please consider commenting to the FDA!
"A message from the American Beekeeping Federation:
Call to Action: FDA is requiring honey labels to list "added sugars." Speak OUT!
This message is a reminder that on March 6 at 11:59 PM Eastern time the comment period to let the FDA know your opinion about their rule requiring honey labels to list “added sugars.” will be closed. Whether you are a large or small beekeeper or honey packer, you are urged to submit comments to the docket TODAY or certainly prior to March 6.
As ABF Vice-President Tim May and I have written in previous articles, this FDA rule will lead consumers to believe that honey is adulterated when in fact pure, natural honey contains no added sugars whatsoever. Consumer surveys, conducted by the National Honey Board, confirm that consumers will indeed be confused by this proposed label language.
We in the honey industry view honey adulteration as a serious issue. The implication that honey may be adulterated (as clearly suggested by this proposed labeling which states honey contains “added sugars”) is of great concern as it will likely create an unnecessary negative perception of our product.
While it is recognized that honey may be a source of sugar added to foods, there is nothing added to pure honey that is packaged as such.
It would be much more logical and prudent if the FDA would consider listing the naturally occurring sugar content of 100% pure honey as “Total Sugars” and not “Added Sugars.”
You are urged to let FDA know your opinion by submitting comments to the following Docket: Click regulations.gov and COMMENT NOW: Draft Guidance For Industry- Questions and Answers on the Nutrition and Supplement Facts Labels Related to the Compliance Date…
Gene Brandi
ABF President
Thank you for your continued support of the American Beekeeping Federation!
American Beekeeping Federation
3525 Piedmont Road NE
Building Five, Suite 300
Atlanta, GA 30305
Phone: 404-760-2875"
The following users thanked this post: Bakersdozen

Offline Bakersdozen

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
Re: preposed label requirements..
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2017, 07:00:44 am »
Thanks for posting, Tec.  I signed a petition in hopes of making a difference.  I was going to start a post regarding this, but couldn't think of how to do so and do it well.  You have done much better than I could have.

Offline Zweefer

• Administrator
  • Gold Member
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2017, 07:04:05 am »
 Thanks for the heads up! Will send this to all the keeps in my BKA asap!
Keeping of bees is like the direction of sunbeams.
Henry David Thoreau

Offline Bakersdozen

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2017, 07:07:05 am »

Offline Zweefer

• Administrator
  • Gold Member
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2017, 07:27:40 am »

Keeping of bees is like the direction of sunbeams.
Henry David Thoreau

Offline Perry

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
    • Brandt's Bees
« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2017, 08:09:39 am »
We have something sort of the same going on up here in Canada.
A change in label requirements are being pushed and I have also sent in my feedback.
Up here we will need to add the words "High in Sugar", either incorporated into new labels or added as a "warning" label if it goes through. >:(
The word "added" is not in there, but even so, just the appearance of a "warning" label is dumb.
"It is not the man who has too little, but the man who craves more, that is poor."      
Forum Supporter

Offline sc-bee

« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2017, 11:24:16 am »
I agree the word added is confusing but is the intent to try and protect from adulterated honey? So therefore an adulterated product would list added sugars as in corn syrup?

What would the label state for added sugars for pure raw honey 0%?

Offline Lburou

• Gold Member
« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2017, 02:25:42 pm »
If you care to comment, This link will take you to a page with a "Comment" button.  Click the button and make your comment.  :)

Using tec's post, I submitted this:
Not for pure honey!

It would be much more logical and prudent if the FDA would consider listing the naturally occurring sugar content of 100% pure honey as "Total Sugars" and not "Added Sugars." Misleading as proposed.
Lee_Burough

Offline Perry

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
    • Brandt's Bees
« Reply #8 on: March 04, 2017, 02:45:57 pm »
Up here this is all taking place as the CFIA is trying to get folks to cut back on sugar consumption, probably not a bad idea if done properly!
"It is not the man who has too little, but the man who craves more, that is poor."      
Forum Supporter