Author Topic: My First Bee Presentation For Grandson Preschool  (Read 5034 times)

Offline Jen

• Platinum Member
My First Bee Presentation For Grandson Preschool
« on: June 13, 2017, 05:38:34 pm »
This event was a blast. This is my grandson, Gannon, he is a redhead, very precocious, and very smart. He was cooperative in putting on my junior bee suit.

We talked about how not to get stung by leaving honeybees alone while they are on flowers gathering food for their many baby's at home. I took dead worker bees that were still in good condition that they could hold and examine, and live drones that they could hold and pass around. Then I brought in the observation hive complete with the queen who donned her pink hat for them. The frame had capped brood and obvious larvae, and honey. I brought a frame of capped honey so they could poke their fingers in and taste the honey, and also there was a bowl of honey with pretzels, some of the kids had one pretzel with honey, and some many pretzels with honey.

It all lasted about half an hour or so. I'm looking forward to next year when both my grands will be in the same school and I can do both classrooms in one day.

There Is Peace In The Queendom

Offline Wandering Man

• Gold Member
    • Life Lessons from dogs, bees and others
Re: My First Bee Presentation For Grandson Preschool
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2017, 06:33:54 pm »
Sounds like everyone had a great time, even grandma!

Thanks for posting the pics.  I like your observation hive.  It has kind of a Fisher-Price or Melissa & Doug primary school look to it.  Now I want one.
Never argue with drunks or crazy people

Offline Jen

• Platinum Member
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2017, 06:47:33 pm »
Thanks Wman, I got this one off of Amazon, for medium frames. Very impressed with the construction, and little assemblage. Very happy with it.

https://www.amazon.com/Medium-Beekeeping-Keeping-Observation-Hive/dp/B00IJO827C/ref=sr_1_fkmr0_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1497393886&sr=8-1-fkmr0&keywords=portable+observation+hive

Offline Nugget Shooter

• Nugget Shooter
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2017, 09:47:44 am »
Glad it went well and it does look like you had fun.... Hmmmmm pretzels and honey, never tried it and sounds good.
Cheers, Bill

Offline Jen

• Platinum Member
« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2017, 11:50:22 am »
Nug, it's Yummy, salty pretzel sticks with sweet honey. Then if you want to get extravagant.. add a cheese stick.. mm mm mm
The following users thanked this post: Nugget Shooter

Offline Dunkel

« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2017, 07:29:43 pm »
Jen I just saw this.  That was amazing.  Brought back some memories of my first teaching years, I taught 3 and 4 year olds for almost three years.  You have know idea what an influence you can have on them at that age.  Especially the memories with your grandson. 

One teacher told me that they may never remember anything you taught them but they will never forget how you made them feel.

Offline Jen

• Platinum Member
« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2017, 08:17:54 pm »
Thanks Dunkel, is was a blast, came out pretty good for my first bee presentation. Next year he will be in the same school as his sister so hopefully I can hit both classrooms same day. I think they liked the living drones the best. And some kids simply made a meal out of the pretzels and honey, like putting 3 pretzels together you get more honey on them ~ I'm looking forward to next year.