Beekeeping > Bees and Kids

Doing presentation for kids, need suggestions?

(1/3) > >>

Bakersdozen:
I am doing a 1 hour presentation about beekeeping for inner city teenagers at the end of the month.  We are probably looking at age 16 and under.  I am hoping that folks on the forum can give me suggestions on what to include in my outline.   :yes: Please don't suggest an observation hive.   :no: I don't have one and I don't have time to build or get one and fill it.  An observation hive would be effective but I am going to stick with power point presentation, honey for tasting, and equipment.
Our local bee club has a youth scholarship program that I will be promoting.  I also have some flyers from the National Honey Board with recipes and fun honey bee facts.  I have some bee friendly seed packets to give away as well.
So, any thoughts?

Wandering Man:
Just that you're awesome!

Honey, seeds, equipment, and recipes? And working with inner city kids! Sounds great!

Add a couple of short videos to your PowerPoint for variety, but you've probably already got that covered.

efmesch:
If you can cage a few drones and bring them with you, they can provide a safe way to show bees from up close without any need for sting protection.  You could even let them free at the end of the talk.  One caution though: keep in mind that, if handled the wrong way, they can eject their mating organs and make things a bit messy.  For an older group such a demonstration could be valuable for teaching about bee reproduction, but for the age group you mention, I woudn't advise it.

Jen:
Agree with Ef on the drones, great hands on experience.

Newbee:
Ditto Drones and videos (think short attention span...)
Do you have an old Nuc box you could put some in w/ fondant or something? Most people are scared to bejesus by them, especially folks that aren't 'country', so having an opportunity to peer at them up close and extended may be a once in a lifetime thing!
Maybe make some desserts/cookies or something sweet for the kids to eat? W/ honey of course! But even teenagers will remember "that cool lady that brought the bee's in, she had some great cookies, I wish I had more of those..."
Ditto the kudo's to reaching out and educating!

- K

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version