Sustainable Living > Homestead

Drying out?

<< < (2/2)

Jen:
Hi there Wman, and here you and I are at opposite ends of the spectrum. You are so wet and with mosquitoes, and I with year round drought to where the ground in our back yard cracks in the summer.

These are the little cracks that begin in spring, nothing like it gets in the dead of summer.

Wandering Man:

--- Quote from: The15thMember on June 13, 2021, 11:46:42 am ---
Oh that's horrible.  Mosquitoes love me for some reason; I seem to get bites from April-October.  I can't imagine having so many mosquitoes you need to vacuum them up.  I'd be one giant mosquito bite in that environment.  :o

--- End quote ---

I bought the vacuum after the first outbreak of mosquitos.  My truck has four door, a back window, and a sunroof.  I spent the whole trip home dangerously opening and closing windows to suck the mosquitos out, rather than paying attention to the road.  I overheated the motor on the driver's side window.  I decided there had to be a better way, and immediately thought of the Bushkill Bee vacuum.   C:-) C:-) 

I don't care if the mosquitoes die in the process of getting vacuumed up, so I ran to Lowe's and bought the cheapest battery powered hand vac they had.  It works great.  I've sucked up a little Sevin dust to coat the filter, and the mosquitoes are dead by the next day.

It's still dangerous to do the vacuuming while driving, so I try to get them all before I head home.

Wandering Man:

--- Quote from: Jen on June 13, 2021, 12:43:00 pm ---Hi there Wman, and here you and I are at opposite ends of the spectrum. You are so wet and with mosquitoes, and I with year round drought to where the ground in our back yard cracks in the summer.

These are the little cracks that begin in spring, nothing like it gets in the dead of summer.

--- End quote ---

The droughts suck.  We'd been praying for rain for two years.  Just not this much of it.  Or at least not this much in such a short time.

Wandering Man:
I've been reading about folks who keep animals in their barns, and decided to give Lime a try.  I put 250# down this afternoon and moved the fans so they now blow from the opening into the barn.  I think they are helping a little. 

The mud is so wet in places that it's a little like using a fans to drain a swimming pool.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version