Beekeeping > Pests and Diseases

HOPGAURD

<< < (2/7) > >>

Jen:
'A neighbors hive, a feral hive not being treated is overrun by mites, eventually the bees abscond and find a new place to live, and they take a LOT of those mites with them, straight to YOUR hives...'

So, it's my understanding that absconds are not going to go into, and join another existing hive.

Then again, if the abscond is without a queen, maybe they would be allowed into another existing hive ... hmm

According this article I read this evening on "varroa-mite-reproduction.edu" It explained how the few mites that scoot into the drone cell right before the drone cell is capped... if all or most of those mites are mother mites and they birth daughters, who are going to get mated and become mother mites themselves... Holy Shmoly now you have an overload of mother mites all laying more daughter mites and on and on. And all at once there is an explosion mites.

So Lazy, I was under the same impression as you for Years. But I think I'm seeing a deeper science of mites now...

Bakersdozen:
I think drifting and robbing behavior play a big part in spreading mites and the diseases they vector.

The15thMember:

--- Quote from: Bakersdozen on May 17, 2022, 10:41:49 am ---I think drifting and robbing behavior play a big part in spreading mites and the diseases they vector.

--- End quote ---
That's true.  And the other thing to keep in mind is that bees that are foraging together on the same flower can easily transmit mites between them. 

Jen:
Good morning Baker and 15th :) Exactly! however the casual daily transmission of transferring and exchanging mites is the norm so to speak. But when it comes to mite explosions and mite bombs when hundreds of mites are hatching daily, it has to happen within the reproductive cycle of the mites.

Oh and I would like to add that the Apivar and the hefty assault with the OA every 4 days worked out brilliantly! All the hives made it thru the winter  ;D

The15thMember:

--- Quote from: Jen on May 17, 2022, 11:45:18 am ---Good morning Baker and 15th :) Exactly! however the casual daily transmission of transferring and exchanging mites is the norm so to speak. But when it comes to mite explosions and mite bombs when hundreds of mites are hatching daily, it has to happen within the reproductive cycle of the mites.

Oh and I would like to add that the Apivar and the hefty assault with the OA every 4 days worked out brilliantly! All the hives made it thru the winter  ;D

--- End quote ---
I don't want to speak for Bakers and Lazy, but the point I was trying to make is that if someone's mite-filled abscond leaves their hives and takes up residence close to yours, it can bring a big influx of mites to your area, which can contribute to overwhelming your bees. 

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version