Author Topic: Quilt Boxes and Incense Cedar Shavings  (Read 1619 times)

Offline Jen

• Platinum Member
Quilt Boxes and Incense Cedar Shavings
« on: January 16, 2023, 01:11:33 pm »
Good morning everyone :) So the last couple of winters I've been using quilt boxes and found that they are of great help keeping the bees warm and dry. I either use our own chainsaw shavings, doug fir or white fir to fill the quilt box. This year tho we have no wood shavings, so hubby came home from Tractor supply with incense cedar shavings. Incense cedar is what cedar chests or some small treasure boxes are made from. It's very perfumy. Do you think this perfume would compromise the bees?
There Is Peace In The Queendom

Offline iddee

• Administrator
  • Gold Member
Re: Quilt Boxes and Incense Cedar Shavings
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2023, 01:23:50 pm »
The reason it is used for cedar chests is that it is an insect repellent. Does that answer your question?
“Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me... Anything can happen, child. Anything can be.”
― Shel Silverstein

Offline LazyBkpr

• Gold Member
  • www.outyard.net
    • The Outyard
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2023, 03:30:39 pm »
What Iddee said! It might serve to keep wax moths out? No idea how it will affect the bees though, never tried it!
Drinking RUM before noon makes you a PIRATE not an alcoholic!

*Sponsor*

Offline Bakersdozen

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2023, 10:02:50 am »
I have seen wooden ware advertised that was made out of cedar.  Back in Langstroth's time I bet beekeepers made hives out of what ever was most abundant.  Today we know a lot more about the biology of honey bees.  Researchers have found that honey bees use pheromones to communicate and I would think the scent of cedar might interfere with that.  Jen,  I would be curious to know if the cluster refuses to go to the top of the brood box in an effort to avoid the scent of cedar. 
If you have a shortage of wood shavings in the future, I would put up a flyer at the big box store or woodworking craft stores offering to buy wood shavings.  We have 2 woodworking craft stores within 10 miles of where I live.

Offline iddee

• Administrator
  • Gold Member
« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2023, 05:37:23 pm »
Every store here that sells them also has pine shavings.
“Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me... Anything can happen, child. Anything can be.”
― Shel Silverstein

Offline The15thMember

• Traveler of the Multiverse, Seeker of Knowledge
« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2023, 06:23:00 pm »
Every store here that sells them also has pine shavings.
That's what I use in my quilt boxes.  We have always have them on hand for animal bedding. 

I have seen wooden ware advertised that was made out of cedar.  Back in Langstroth's time I bet beekeepers made hives out of what ever was most abundant.  Today we know a lot more about the biology of honey bees.  Researchers have found that honey bees use pheromones to communicate and I would think the scent of cedar might interfere with that.  Jen,  I would be curious to know if the cluster refuses to go to the top of the brood box in an effort to avoid the scent of cedar. 
I think the cedar used in boxes is red cedar, not incense cedar. 
I come from under the hill, and under the hills and over the hills my paths led.  And through the air, I am she that walks unseen.

Offline Zweefer

• Administrator
  • Gold Member
« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2023, 10:23:36 am »
you can always use the shavings in your smoker...
Keeping of bees is like the direction of sunbeams.
Henry David Thoreau

Offline Jen

• Platinum Member
« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2023, 12:35:00 pm »
Hi everyone, I found pine shavings in Tractor Supply and Walmart. Worked out great. I found that one package of shavings at $3.50 fills two quilt boxes.

Years ago I had experimented with quilt boxes then gave them up. Before Tractor Supply was here, about 5 years now, we had to go to a pellet mill to get straw, I just needed a small amount of straw, but hubby came home with an entire bale of hay :D Wow what a mess! I think that's why I gave up quilt boxes. But there is more knowledge on quilt boxes now with venting and baffles and all. And we didn't have walmart or tractor supply back in the day. So I'm really enjoying quilt boxes the way they are supposed to be used.
There Is Peace In The Queendom

Offline The15thMember

• Traveler of the Multiverse, Seeker of Knowledge
« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2023, 02:59:56 pm »
Hi everyone, I found pine shavings in Tractor Supply and Walmart. Worked out great. I found that one package of shavings at $3.50 fills two quilt boxes.

Years ago I had experimented with quilt boxes then gave them up. Before Tractor Supply was here, about 5 years now, we had to go to a pellet mill to get straw, I just needed a small amount of straw, but hubby came home with an entire bale of hay :D Wow what a mess! I think that's why I gave up quilt boxes. But there is more knowledge on quilt boxes now with venting and baffles and all. And we didn't have walmart or tractor supply back in the day. So I'm really enjoying quilt boxes the way they are supposed to be used.
We got a Tractor Supply recently too, and boy, is it handy to have close by.
I come from under the hill, and under the hills and over the hills my paths led.  And through the air, I am she that walks unseen.