Author Topic: New critter chaser  (Read 1489 times)

Offline Bakersdozen

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
New critter chaser
« on: June 04, 2018, 07:58:15 am »
We adopted an 11 month old dog from the shelter yesterday.  They had named him Oscar and so far that is what we have been calling him.  Oscar has had fun learning his backyard, loving the scents he is encountering, and bonding with me (mostly).  He is a little shy but seems to be smart and that's a change for us.  :D
I took him for a long walk yesterday evening and he frequently watched the tree tops.  I have never had a dog do that before.
At 30 pounds, he can rip the leash out of my hand and almost pull me off the deck. That's when he spots a rabbit.  He leaped out of his harness too but came to me when he saw me calling for him.
He is curious about the bees but stops when I tell him no.  My husband is concerned that Oscar will have an allergic reaction.

He hasn't eaten since coming home.  They gave us a small bag of Science Diet, which is what they have been feeding him.  I tried pouring broth on it, but no luck.

Offline Wandering Man

• Gold Member
    • Life Lessons from dogs, bees and others
Re: New critter chaser
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2018, 09:16:46 am »
Congratulations on your new family member. And bravo for adopting him from a shelter!

Let us know when he starts eating.

We adopted a shelter dog once, and discovered the shelter vet had failed to diagnose or treat for mange. We had taken her to our vet just to have her checked out when we discovered the mange.
Never argue with drunks or crazy people

Offline riverbee

• Gold Member
  • ***Forum Sponsor***
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2018, 11:32:23 am »
that's pretty cool bakers! love the 2nd pic of oscar looking out the door!

it might take him a bit to settle in before he starts consuming food and anything else............. :D

all of my critters have been rescues.
i keep wild things in a box..........™
if you obey the rules, you miss all the fun.....katherine hepburn
Forum Sponsor

Offline Bakersdozen

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2018, 07:58:03 pm »
He ate about 1/4 of his usual amount of feed, at least what they told me he was eating.  I am finishing his antibiotic by putting 1/2 the pill in a bite of hot dog and repeating. Maybe it's the medicine. Oscar is having regular bowel movements so far.
The antibiotic is for an infection caused by a tick bite.  Erchlicia or something like that.
I got the back yard puppy proof today.  Not much chance of escaping unless someone leaves the gate open.  He has been in heaven since then terrorizing rabbits and squirrels.  He found the opossum living under the deck.  He can smell him and see him, but he can't get him.  So his plan of attack is to make him deaf by barking at him.  :D
river, all my pets have been rescues too.  When I was growing up on the farm, people used to dump dogs on us all the time.  Now that's sad.

Offline riverbee

• Gold Member
  • ***Forum Sponsor***
« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2018, 10:29:52 pm »
"So his plan of attack is to make him deaf by barking at him.  :D"

sounds like oscar is doing quite well...... :D :D :D

rescues......we get a number of critters, mostly dogs dumped off in the rush river valley. some cats, but most cats are probably from the area that my neighbors in the valley just didn't take care of, and they wander through looking for a better environment.  i always take them in, get them to the vet and find a home for them or work with rescue folks........ dogs are easier than cats. 

we just had a young cat follow my husband home from fishing on the river. not going into detail, but was truly annoyed. he was someone's animal down here, no doubt about it, and the shape and condition he was in makes me fiery about it.  pretty friendly little thing.
it is sad.
Forum Sponsor

Offline Bakersdozen

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2018, 06:43:20 am »
A neighbor down the street allowed their cat to roam at will.  I frequently chased him out of my yard because he stalked birds at the bird feeder.  They woke up yesterday morning to find him laying in the street.  Cat vs car usually ends with the cat losing.

Offline riverbee

• Gold Member
  • ***Forum Sponsor***
« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2018, 11:17:55 pm »
a lot of folks do.... and a lot of folks around me go out of their way to run critters over in front of my house or nearby (well, used to).
sorta stopped  when i got after them and dropped the bodies off at their house.... ;D not just domestic animals..... ;D........ :D

sorry, i didn't mean to sidetrack your thread. 

hope oscar is acclimating and doing well!  guessing he is!!!
Forum Sponsor