Author Topic: Winter weather- Everyone complains  (Read 3567 times)

Offline Bakersdozen

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
Winter weather- Everyone complains
« on: December 29, 2020, 09:48:25 am »
It has been so dry in NE Kansas.  We slipped into moderate drought conditions.  Today we are actually getting a little wintery mix.  Yeah!  We usually have at least several inches of snow by now. The impact our winter rain and snow fall has concerning spring blooms is dramatic.  I have never had to feed over wintered colonies for spring build up.  If we don't get more moisture this winter, I may have to.

Offline Wandering Man

• Gold Member
    • Life Lessons from dogs, bees and others
Re: Winter weather- Everyone complains
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2020, 11:55:27 am »
I took this picture of our future Wildflower field yesterday, it was cloudy and 79*:

Today we are huddled indoors with our high temps in the 40's, and thunderstorms expected to continue until sometime this afternoon.

Edit:  3Reds pointed out I had the wrong temperature for yesterday.
Never argue with drunks or crazy people
The following users thanked this post: Bakersdozen

Offline RAST

« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2021, 07:58:50 am »
Are you going to plant the field or let nature do it? 80+ here yesterday, started sweating while I was filling the feeders. Your thunderstorms are supposed to get here this weekend.

Offline Wandering Man

• Gold Member
    • Life Lessons from dogs, bees and others
« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2021, 09:52:42 am »
Are you going to plant the field or let nature do it? 80+ here yesterday, started sweating while I was filling the feeders. Your thunderstorms are supposed to get here this weekend.

We cleared the brush and grasses, dished the field, and planted the seeds last month. Recent rains have encouraged the seeds to germinate, and they are just now raising their little heads above ground. Assuming these are mostly wildflowers, we’ll let nature and the bees take it from here.
Never argue with drunks or crazy people

Offline Gypsi

• Fishkeeper first, beekeeper second
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2021, 12:06:52 pm »
I need to go out and plant today. Work and bookkeeping and house repairs have kept me out of the garden most of last year. I planted in March 2020, and I planted fall tomatoes and squash in August 2020, and I have managed to turn the dirt on the raised bed. Need spinach and brussel sprouts in, and wildflower seeds scattered.  We were in fairly severe drought when I would normally have planted this winter, finally got rain last week.
Fishkeeper first, beekeeper second