Author Topic: Record Keeping Software  (Read 12268 times)

Offline LazyBkpr

• Gold Member
  • www.outyard.net
    • The Outyard
Record Keeping Software
« on: March 12, 2014, 10:14:36 pm »

I have been looking for some type of record keeping software for my Apiaries.. as they grow, it would be nice to be able to keep everything on my external hard drive..
   I looked at Hive Tracks, and one other I dont recall the name of now.. but both are ONLINE.. meaning.. you have to pay for them if you want all the options..
   I don't know about anyone else, but I am more than fed up with all the 5, 10. and 19.95 a month programs..   A person could quickly go bankrupt if they subscribed to a tenth of the stuff out there...
   I want something for MY computer LIKE Hive Tracks.. something I can pay for, and HAVE.. no more payments..
   I print spread sheets, and have a file just for them, but its a lot nicer to kick back in my chair, drink in hand and look over the situation after dark, or when its cold, or raining, etc...
   So if anyone comes across something nice, something beyond a spreadsheet, please post it. 
   Scott
Drinking RUM before noon makes you a PIRATE not an alcoholic!

*Sponsor*

Offline riverbee

• Gold Member
  • ***Forum Sponsor***
Re: Record Keeping Software
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2014, 10:55:33 pm »
i know of no software for record keeping, it's all online lazy. 

i use excel, it took a little time to set it up how i wanted a 'journal', not a spreadsheet, but it works and now i keep it more simple than it used to be, sorta got lazy, lazy..... :D
i like visual, and notes about a specific hive. excel is good because you can do almost anything with it. say for example for visual, hive bodies, supers, feed on, then add your notes on whatever you desire for each check changing the visual. notes tailored to what your desires are for the information you want.

not the answer you were looking for but if you understand excel, you might play with it and give it a whirl. 
i keep wild things in a box..........™
if you obey the rules, you miss all the fun.....katherine hepburn
Forum Sponsor

Offline Zulu

« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2014, 12:05:50 am »
Why are you in the belief that hive tracks costs you money ?

Used it free for last 3 years.... You may donate if you wish, but it works well at zero dolla
Zulu's Bees

Offline LazyBkpr

• Gold Member
  • www.outyard.net
    • The Outyard
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2014, 12:14:06 am »
According to what I read tonight, it IS free if you don't mind missing some of the Functionality, and the only way to get that is to upgrade to pro...     I also prefer to be in charge of my own data. I just don't like the idea of trusting someone else to care for it as well as I would.

*Sponsor*

Offline Zulu

« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2014, 12:20:13 am »
Not seen anything I need more than I have used for last 3 years.  My only suggestion 2 years ago was an offline template for data gathering.

Pro version that they are about to launch ( April )has not made me think I am missing anything yet.

As for data online, I have no issue with that..... As so much of our lives are already online anyway.
Zulu's Bees

Offline LazyBkpr

• Gold Member
  • www.outyard.net
    • The Outyard
« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2014, 10:33:47 am »
As for data online, I have no issue with that..... As so much of our lives are already online anyway.

Can't argue with that...
   If they had a way for me to "save" to my comp I'd still be happier...  I'll stick t pen and paper for now.. will see what happens when the hive count begins to grow.

*Sponsor*

Offline rcannon

« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2014, 08:57:52 pm »
I also use Excell, there's almost nothing it can't do. In my opinion, it's the most useful program for the average user. You can import pictures, make drawings, hyperlink cells, insert formulas, ect. 
I have a web link on my desktop at work with tutorials, if anyone's interested I can send it.

Offline tbonekel

• Gold Member
« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2014, 03:29:59 pm »
I really like excel. It will do a lot. But I also like having my notes available anywhere so just recently, I started using evernote. I created a beekeeping folder and each note is titled with the name our number of the hive. I just add info as I inspect.

Offline LazyBkpr

• Gold Member
  • www.outyard.net
    • The Outyard
« Reply #8 on: April 22, 2014, 09:16:28 pm »

I am not overly talented with excel. I created a folder on the desktop, and then created a folder for each hive in that folder with an abiword document set up in each folder that I can add to with date and an inspection template. It's working OK, if a little clunky.  40 folders arent too bad to deal with only because they each are named with a number. It does mean opening every folder, then the document..  I make notes by the hive number on paper, then transfer to the documents. Like I said, Clunky, but it keeps me occupied when I am not in the hives. 

*Sponsor*

Offline Zulu

« Reply #9 on: April 22, 2014, 10:59:27 pm »
Lazy

You can use the tabs on the bottom of a single sheet, and create all 40 into one worksheet, then it would be easy to create a summary page

You can even drag the ones you have now into new tabs

I would be happy to help, send one of the existing a ones with the data you want to capture, and can expand it into a 40 tab one if you like.

Rick dot abc at gmail.com
Zulu's Bees

Offline LazyBkpr

• Gold Member
  • www.outyard.net
    • The Outyard
« Reply #10 on: April 22, 2014, 11:03:17 pm »
That would be handy...  I "think" I have Libre office??  too cheap to buy excel.. I'll have to open it for the second time and do some tinkering just so I have a little idea what your even talking about.

*Sponsor*