Beekeeping > Raising Queens

Queen rearing discussion from bee lab reports post

(1/2) > >>

Zweefer:

--- Quote from: rober on July 22, 2020, 12:19:14 pm ---... i also have been making queens off of some saskatraz queens. i watch these queens for hygienic behavior & choose the best of the lot. i haven't really got my act together to raise queens so what i've done is allow the hives with the best queens build up to the point of swarming & then i start nucs with frames that have swarm cells. i'm pulling supers now so when i'm finished extracting i'm going to try to raise some queens.

--- End quote ---

If grafting isn’t your thing, I have a friend who just started this year with the Nicot method, and has had some success with that....

Congrats on the mite counts, sorry the report doesn’t shed any light on why they died though.

rober:
i'm set up to graft & have a frame set up with a nicot fixture. i found a magnifying lamp for drafting tables in a junk shop for $10.00. i had to fabricate a small part but had the metal on hand & spent an entire 40 minutes making & installing it. i also built a mating nuc with the screened vents at the bottom. & i built 2 nucs with a center divider running lengthwise. it has a landing board at each end & separate entrances at each end so i 'believe' i have all my ducks in a row.
here the grafting set up.

Zweefer:
Looks great!  If you ever decide you don’t want it, Let me be the first to call the internationally recognized right of “dibs”  ;D

rober:
good luck with that. I looked for a deal on one of those for over 3 years. found several in the 50.00- 100.00 price range. i'm getting kinda old maybe i'll will it to you.

Zweefer:
Lol!  I’ve never tried grafting... I know several members here do it. Is there a steep learning curve to it?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version