Author Topic: After OA Treatment Adult Bees Killing Young Bees  (Read 2702 times)

Offline Jen

• Platinum Member
After OA Treatment Adult Bees Killing Young Bees
« on: August 26, 2019, 12:42:24 pm »
I've completed the series of 4 oa vape treatments. On one of my hives, right after I finished the second vape, the adults were dragging out the young bees and killing them. I’ve never seen this before.  I was trying to save the young bees by separating them. Some made it, some didn’t. Not sure if these young ones had mites on them and the workers were getting rid of them. Today when I finished with the 4th treatment they were very calm.

Wondering if the killer bees were robbers dragging bees out of the hive after the treatment?
There Is Peace In The Queendom

Offline Bakersdozen

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
Re: After OA Treatment Adult Bees Killing Young Bees
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2019, 03:43:44 pm »
Jen, why so many treatments?  The recommendations for using OA is one treatment during the fall/winter.  That is when the colony is broodless and produces the best results.  Exposing your queens to 4 treatments seems harsh.  You could also be risking bee loss if the colony is weak. https://www.blueskybeesupply.com/blue-sky-bee-supply-blog/oxalic-acid-faqs/

Offline Jen

• Platinum Member
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2019, 05:02:49 pm »
But my question is, why were the adult bees dragging the young bees out and killing them? This first, then I'll address the treatment plan  ;)

Offline Some Day

« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2019, 08:05:20 pm »
Jen,

Your treatment plan is fine.  Are the young bees drones?  It is getting to be that time of the year where the males days are numbered.

If these are workers that are being dragged out it may be that this queen was poorly mated with an inferior drone or two and some of her offspring are not up to par.  The 1/2 sisters are eliminating the undesirable bees.

As you may or may not know, bees generally have a pretty good idea of what they are doing.

Offline Jen

• Platinum Member
« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2019, 02:43:28 am »
Hi Some Day, that is an interesting thought there. It was worker size bees dragging out and killing smaller bees.

Offline Lburou

• Gold Member
« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2019, 08:25:39 pm »
Jen, that sounds more like robbing than anything else.  All robbing isn't a furious cloud of bees, sometimes it is not so obvious.  HTH
Lee_Burough

Offline Jen

• Platinum Member
« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2019, 12:20:34 pm »
Hi Lee, that was my first thought. Doesn't make sense that a hives own bees would be killing their own family. Thank you  ;)